Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for cheaper rabbit bedding?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I found a place in Duleek, Co Meath that has great value. Posted it in bargain alerts... Well worth a look.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145802

Edit: Also Jollyes in Newry have similar prices and are much cheaper on food but you have to factor in petrol there.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any links to their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

they don't seem to have one... at least yet. i assume they will at some point since they invested in 4 big electronic signs to put along the drogheda-ashbourne road that goes past the retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

forget all that old rrubbish of buying rabbit bedding, i had a rabbit 11 yrs and i just put plenty newspaper under him and i would cut lots of news papers into strips to put under him, he loved, did him no harm his 11 whole years, then again he loved maderia cake, and loved fruit cake, always had his slice of christmas cake, he was a dote, a pure pet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

My uncles a farmer. A bale of hay is roughly 50 cents. lasts about a month. For their litter bin I use the free nespapers.
    And they love rich tea buscuits, stale bread/toast and anything sweet like cake! Not that they get them very often

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hey Sparkthatbled, Thanks a mill for the heads up on the rabbit bedding, went out today, got large bale's of shaving's, rabbit pellets which im delighted with as there so expensive in dublin, also bale of straw at 7 euro and the price they charge up here, just have to figure out where to get bale's of hay as they only stock small bags, anyway Thanks again...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

You're welcome! I get my hay (same size as the straw the place in Duleek carries for £8.29) in Jollyes in Newry. I know there's a chain called maxizoo (who have a website) with shops in dublin and have a bale of hay about half to two thirds the size of those straw bales and i think they are about €15 which is kind-of reasonable. Unless you know a farmer like Jinxi does I don't think you'll do much better.

The key is finding a pet supply shop. Shops that sell animals jack up the prices to cover the cost of feeding and caring for their livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

You don't need to have shavings or anything under the rabbit. I put a fleece blanket, which are about 3-4 euro, under the rabbit and a cat litter box with shavings in it. I change the litter box every few days and the blanket I shake off and shove in the washing machine. Most rabbits will pee and poo in the litter box for you. As long as you don't allow it to get too dirty. There might be a few poos on the blanket but they can be quickly shoke off.

Saves way more money in the long run, saves time and is more comfy for your rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For outside rabbits a thick layer of newspaper and then lots of hay (never straw it's too pokey and hay is warmer) but anyone that has rabbits needs to be very mindful of bedding becoming damp easily and freezing, if we get another freeze like we did the other week even a lot of bedding may not help and hutches outside must be covered and insulated and even ones put in sheds may not be warm enough.

Yes they are rabbits and people think they can cope because they compare them to wild rabbits but 1. Domestic rabbits can be prone to 'the snuffles' due mabey due to improper breeding or just pure luck but many rabbits are prone to it. 2. Wild rabbits burrow down into the soil underground temps are generally warmer than above ground. Plus they are generally a hardier animal.

Newspaper and hay is one of the cheapest options and one of the warmest, things like vet bed are great for extra comfort and moisture tends to not sit on the top of it. But it can be a pain to clean hay out of.

I always found woodchips a pain they'd fly everywhere.

Sometimes farmers have bales of hay that are much better quality that what you would buy in a shop, plus you can get a good bale of hay for about 4 quid which is way cheaper than shop prices.

Advertisement