Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Saw

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Folks,
    I am hoping someone here can help me to decide which table saw offers best value for money. I intend making some shelving, cabinets, wardrobes and such for myself and I decided to invest in a table saw. I went to the shop to look at the charnwood W614 but I didn't like the fence, seems to move when you lock into position so alarm bells went off right away. The guy in the shop suggest I go for the Jet JTS-315s which is definately a lot more sturdy but have only seen a few reviews online for it.

Anyone got any opinions on the Jet ? or maybe some options ? Spending in the region of €400.

Thanks,
    -B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Don't know much about either saw but found this on another woodwork forum....

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/charnwood-w614-any-good-2500/

I have a mafell erika 70 myself.......great machine but a bit pricey...well worth saving up for and if your doing wardobes as nixers it would pay for it's self in no time....
    971501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent one. They are very dangerous with the bad wobbly fences on the cheaper ones.

Here are some reviews of the one you mentionned
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jts-315-s-site-saw-bench-prod32026/#bottomsection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

u may be better off buying a good hand held circular saw with a guide ( bought or made up)

Depends on what size material u have in mind but if you think a 400 euro TS will cut sheets of 8 by 4 accurately and safely then think again

At least with the hand held saw the sheet stays put if properly supported.

Write out the steps in processing the timber once its in your front garden or roof of car and then decide what u need.

--

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I remember cutting up veneered mdf sheets on one of those "site saws" and I wouldn't like to do it again....it worked, but it didn't feel safe.

I once spent 4 morphine-filled days in hospital due to a piece of wood kicking back into my groin area (funny now, but not at the time!) from a cheap circular saw that had rubbish fences and throat plate.

I wouldn't buy anything only the best now, and even at that, I'd rather get a vertical panel saw for sheet goods and use a bandsaw for ripping other timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Boleary

Folks,

thanks for all your replies, I am a home DIY user so not using one every day or every week for that matter but I do want something that will cut straight at the very least.
    Appreciate all the replies, will reaccess and see how much I have available to spend !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

site saws are useless for wardrobes or units first of all you cant balance a sheet correctly and they dont have the power to turn the blade iif the sheet runs off. the best suggestion you got was to buy a track and rail saw. Mafell plunge saw with track 500 + vat. festool about the same. and i think bosch do one not sure on the price though.
    Other option is to buy a good second hand one but you will pay for a single phase one as they are sought after.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

I second the track saw idea. You will never get an adequate finish with a site saw but track saws leave a brilliant finish. I have the festool one myself but i hear the makita one is very good also

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-sp6000k1-plunge-saw-and-14m-rail-prod656310/

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

If possible (with your budget) choose a saw with a cast iron bed and sturdy fence. Check that changing the blade is easily and safely accomplished.

Light saws are good value however, and if you choose one, your first project could be a bench into which the saw sits for cutting sheets.

Advertisement