Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 'magic' Real?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Is magic real?

I would suggest it's all a series of 'tricks' rather then being actual 'magic'?Anybody can do tricks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Is magic real ?? now theres a thesis subject if I ever saw one.

But to answer your question , there no such thing as "real" magic , just like theres no easter bunny , tooth fairy or *whisper it* santa claus ! sorry to burst your bubble.

Yes it is all *just*tricks , and yes they can be done by anybody, however the amount of time and training that goes into it is scary.In the same way that brain surgery can be done by anybody , given enough time and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

horgan_p wrote: »
    Is magic real ?? now theres a thesis subject if I ever saw one.

But to answer your question , there no such thing as "real" magic , just like theres no easter bunny , tooth fairy or *whisper it* santa claus ! sorry to burst your bubble.

Yes it is all *just*tricks , and yes they can be done by anybody, however the amount of time and training that goes into it is scary.In the same way that brain surgery can be done by anybody , given enough time and training.

You seem to be suggesting that there is no mysticisim involved.I don't think most true magicians would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Icarus152 wrote: »
    You seem to be suggesting that there is no mysticisim involved.I don't think most true magicians would agree with you.
    Um...I think any sane magician would agree with him. There is no magic, and there is no tooth fairy. These things we usually learn at around 9. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Then they are full of crap.

Magic is all sleight of hand and trickery. Anyone who claims that what he is doing is only made possible by the paranormal is either deluded or flat out lying.

Um...I think any sane magician would agree with him. There is no magic, and there is no tooth fairy. These things we usually learn at around 9. :rolleyes:
    oeb wrote: »
    Then they are full of crap.

Magic is all sleight of hand and trickery. Anyone who claims that what he is doing is only made possible by the paranormal is either deluded or flat out lying.

Then how come the true magic "tricks" (as you call them) remain unexplained to this day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is magic real?

I would suggest it's all a series of 'tricks' rather then being actual 'magic'?Anybody can do tricks.
    Your problem is a distinct lack of definitions. What does 'real' mean? What about 'tricks'? Hell, what's your definition of 'magic'? Those are all generic terms that can mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Your problem is a distinct lack of definitions. What does 'real' mean? What about 'tricks'? Hell, what's your definition of 'magic'? Those are all generic terms that can mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people

The definition of magic is the use of spells etc.

The definition of magic is the use of spells etc.
    So if I say a spell, then jump two feet in the air, it's magic?
    Then how come the true magic "tricks" (as you call them) remain unexplained to this day?
    Examples?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So if I say a spell, then jump two feet in the air, it's magic?

Examples?

I thought you guys would take magic seriously,there are plenty of examples of real magic in the Bible of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

obvious_troll.jpg

• Advertisement

FWIW I myself don't believe there is anysuch thing as magic,I just wanted to see if any of ye would claim to be Magicians.

FWIW I myself don't believe there is anysuch thing as magic,I just wanted to see if any of ye would claim to be Magicians.
    So... troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So... troll?
    Yup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I believe in magick (correct original spelling of the word). It is real and I even witnessed some today when my partner in the blink of an eye turned her car into a parking space - it was astonishing.

Mods (a modern term for master magicians) using magick can make trolls disappear instantly I believe.

mathepac wrote: »
    I believe in magick (correct original spelling of the word). It is real and I even witnessed some today when my partner in the blink of an eye turned her car into a parking space - it was astonishing.

Mods (a modern term for master magicians) using magick can make trolls disappear instantly I believe.

Your veiled threats do not frighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

If you want to discuss the bible or religious dogma, please do so here. If you want to discuss magic as in the paranormal (Made up) sense, try here.

This forum is for the discussion of magic and sleight of hand, the performance art, this, oddly enough, is why it is in the 'arts' category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There is a difference between sleight of hand and actual "magic" though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's why the forum is called magic and illusion by the way, because there are two types:

1. Real magic
    2. Illusion i.e. sleight of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Someone stumbles on the truth and you all call troll? Stinks of a coverup tbh.

Did the poker forum have a meet-up and decide to just start trolling another forum for the lolz or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's why the forum is called magic and illusion by the way, because there are two types:

1. Real magic
    2. Illusion i.e. sleight of hand

There is no such thing as "real" magic since they drown all the witches. The forum should just be changed to "Illusion & slight of hand forum"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Did the poker forum have a meet-up and decide to just start trolling another forum for the lolz or something?

Nah, boards already did a very good magic trick and made the poker forum disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Magic has to have come from somewhere. To have separate forums for magic and religeon is wrong. If you believe in magic
    you are religious. Turning water into wine is magic on many different levels. Just because he is the son of god shouldn't get him thrown out of the magic circle. (unless true magic isn't allowed) I know a girl who can levitate, I've seen her do it. I nearly passed out with fright and to be honest, I got dressed and left the room fairly lively. The OP has asked a very good question.
    Is magic something more than slight of hand etc or does it really exist. In my experience It's tied in with the devil , religeon the lot. For the trickery involved in the art of magicianship, there is none better than the late Tommy Cooper.
    Magic and magicianship are totally different things so the mod is correct. Good question though OP. The Answer is magic does exist but not in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

tumblr_leunkhL3IA1qzymhso1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Trolls banned for varying lengths of time based on random selection. Shazam!!

Poker's just a game of pure luck anyhow...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement