Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy a new Desktop Build Required

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for that

What do you mean to partition the first 80/100gb this something I do when I get PC? Not sure what PCI & PCI-Ex16 slots are for but what would you suggest as I am the noobie here:confused:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oops, my mistake. I'm half asleep. You're not using your PCI-E x16 slot at all because you're using the onboard graphics. The PCI slot is what your wireless card will be using. That number of slots is as many as people need, but it just depends on the person. The 890GX boards, which would be the next set you'd be looking at are about €20-30 dearer. I think that the MSI looks like a good one for your needs.

PCI cards are things like wireless cards, sound cards, extra USB ports, network cards.
    PCI-E are things that need higher bandwidth - Graphics cards, those PCI-E SSDs, some RAID cards.

Partitions - you know the way you can split a hard disk drive so that it appears as multiple drives in My Computer? Hard drives are fastest near the start of the disk, so it is best that you reserve this space for the operating system by partitioning. When installing windows, if you pick advanced, configuration or options or whatever it is, it gives you the option to select the size of the partitions. You can also alter them to some extent later on.

Thanks for the explanation and all the advice

Broaden my mind now

Should be ordering this soon but now the joys of trying to pay :P

Thanks to everyone who posted their views much appreciated:D

Paid by cr trf and they are shipping it today.Problem is its not going to be pre assembled so bit of a boffer for me:confused:

Not confident doing this myself in case motherboard bios gets fubarred up

anyone help....

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

what's cr and trf??

• Advertisement

You get your bank to set up a credit transfer payment. When you order they give you their payment details and then you pay via this. Takes 3 days to deliver

Not confident doing this myself in case motherboard bios gets fubarred up

The bios is the last thing you need to worry about. Make sure that you don't fry anything with static electricity. Most of the details you need will be in the motherboard manual. You can usually find this online for a preview while you're waiting. There's plenty of videos on youtube and tutorials online.

This guide isn't bad for a quick overview.
    http://www.buildyourown-computer.com/Build.html

You might need a bit more detail in some parts. Your board is matx so you might only need about about six mounting screws (AKA standoffs) in the case for the motherboard. Don't use more than your motherboard needs.

Here's another one with a lot of pictures.
    http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/pages/systembuild_3.htm

Both of those guides are for intel systems, but the AMD installation is very straightforward (although sometimes those clipping things don't want to clip on both sides) and will be illustrated in the sheet that comes with the processor.
    Also, with the Asgard case, you don't need to screw in the drives, just clip them in on both sides with the orange holders.

Edit: I just realised an area that you might run into trouble. Many motherboards these days are shipping with only a single SATA cable. You'll be needing three. Your blu-ray drive might come with one although it's doubtful since its a bulk item. Have you got another computer that you can recycle them from?

They're €3.50 in peats which actually isn't too bad.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=8250&type=product

Thanks would not be confident about assembling it myself. Mates brother is PC expert so may ask him as knowing my luck will bugger it up. Have PC which I am currently thinking of selling bits below. Posted on computers & tech to see how much its worth May get the extra sata cable in Peats if necessary

Cheers

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 | GeForce 8600GT 1024MB | 4GB RAM 800MHz 500GB SATA2 | ASUS P5KPL/G31 | SecurDisc DVD-RW | 600Watt | 52 in 1 Cardreader
    ATI Radeon HD3850 1024MB
    DVD-RW Samsung 18x/18x/4,0x RAM DL SH-S182A/BEBE
    WL-PCI PCI WITH AntennA 108 MBit
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    E8400 3.0GHz
    Intel Model E8400 Wolfdale
    FSB 1333 | 6MB L2 cache
    NVidia GeForce 8600GT 1024MB
    4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz KINGSTON
    Mainboard ASUS P5KPL Intel G31
    Western Digital 500GB SATA-2 HDD
    LG GH20LS 20x DVD-RW SecurDisc
    7.1 Channel Superior Quality Audio
    DSL Ready Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    52in1 Cardreader | Apevia X-Cruiser
    Coolermaster CPU cooler | 600Watt
    Windows 6 pro installed
    Dell MINI PCI EXPRESS CARD WLAN RU297 MX846 TK208 WX492

Eh what's wrong with that pc!?

• Advertisement

Morf3h wrote: »
    Eh what's wrong with that pc!?

Not much but wanted Blu ray burner and getting blue screen so want to sell it. If no buyers may well keep it

how much you looking for it? Have you tried re-installing windows? Got a link to the adverts listing?

Morf3h wrote: »
    how much you looking for it? Have you tried re-installing windows? Got a link to the adverts listing?

No value on it yet but unsure if to sell may just install windows again and keep both pcs....?

Advertisement