Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an Investment Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Saw mention of some "SEEN" investment group in the Sin paper yesterday - that your lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Ficheall wrote: »
    Saw mention of some "SEEN" investment group in the Sin paper yesterday - that your lot?

Had a look through the latest issue of SIN online there and didn't see any mention of SEEN or the Investment Group. I just skimmed the paper though so I may have missed it. I know the lads in SEEN (Student Enterprise Exchange Network) but I don't think they have any plans to introduce an investment club as part of the group. There are a number of talks and seminars which are co-organised by SEEN and the Technology Transfer Office related to areas of business, marketing and entrepreneurship. Could it have been an advert for one of these talks?

Just as an update, I'm meeting with a member of the Economics Dept. on Friday to discuss getting the investment club up and running so will hopefully have further details next week. There are a number of issues which need to be resolved at an early stage before the club is officially launched (that is if there is enough interest and support):
    • Structure
    • Sponsorship
    • SU/University Support
    • Mentors
    • etc.

As I said in my previous post, anyone interested in becoming involved at this stage, please send me a PM (including your name and e-mail address) and I will add you to a group mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I've got around to creating a Google Groups page for discussion of details relating to establishing an Investment Society at NUIG. If you wish to join in discussions or are interested in becoming involved with the society, please follow the following link to apply for membership;

http://groups.google.com/group/nuig-investment-society

Just send a brief note to state your interest and your name so I can distinguish spammers from real people. Thanks :)

The club is not officially established as yet. At present, I'm just looking for feedback and suggestions relating to the establishment of the Investment Society as well as gauging general interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

only new to boards and stumbled across this thread which is very interesting to me for several reasons,

firstly, I am a graduate of NUIG and still live in Galway - you would need a crowbar to get me away from Galway to be honest

secondly, I joined an investment club many moons ago as I realised in my mid twenties that I was completely financially illiterate and needed to address this knowledge deficit or forever be at the mercy of those with more knowledge than I (which was a pretty big list!)

thirdly, I have had a number of years of experience of financial spreadbetting - the good, the bad and the ugly

and then there's the Poker! I noticed in one of the threads that somebody questioned why the same people do not appear at final tables on a regular basis - well in my experience, they most certainly do! Sure, there is a fair amount of luck involved in poker, (when I say poker I am talking about Holdem by the way) and it is true to say that as long as you have a decent understanding of the game you can get lucky and win on occassion - but to suggest that there is not a high skill level involved as well is just ridiculous. I would be happy to go heads up with anyone who disagress :)

Back to the idea if an investment club - it makes a whole lot of sense to pool resources and share ideas in order to learn - sometimes it can be frustrating if some members do not pull their weight, but ultimately you will get out of it what you put in so what about it

I found it interesting to see the and understand the different attitudes towards risk even within a small group of seemingly like minded people

At the end of the day, the market is just a whole big bunch of people with different views and opinions making decisions so a group approach is a good way to learn about it in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ronaldo2011

At the end of the day, the market is just a whole big bunch of people with different views and opinions making decisions so a group approach is a good way to learn about it in my view

Was in the same place a few years back looking for an investment club and came across a private investment club Lifeclub.com that operates mostly online. Been a member since and am very happy. .

• Advertisement
Advertisement