Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Ulster the only team in Europe to have won all their games so far this season and in the driving seat for their HEC pool. Very impressive, though there are areas that need improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

You wouldnt think Jackson only came into the side in April, so assured tonight. Pienaar takes a lot of pressure off with his kicking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We'll take the win. Get the win and get out as they say. Henry, Pienaar and Wallace were my man of the match contenders. Jackson was good as well.

Much to work on but 5/5 in the league and 2/2 in Europe...not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Saints get a crucial LBP in Toulouse tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

So long as Ulster take more points than Northampton from the double header they should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Very clever play in poor conditions. Keep putting the ball behind the other team and play all the rugby in their half.

Must be disheartening as a big heavy forward to keep having to trek back for line outs, scrums, 22's.

Not a great performance but best, henry, piennar and jackson did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

Henry for me was the stand out performer, looks comfortable at no.7, should get the nod in the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Second half was all about playing in opponents half and keeping them peeged in. Always going to be a difficult watch in those conditions.
    4 points in the bag, job done. Good work team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I dunno if anyone else saw it, if ya didnt, somehow go watch it back.

Hilarious to see Rory Best, most experienced player, actually kicking his own very inexperienced scrum half Marshall in the backside at the end of the match to tell him to hurry up and kick the ball off the pitch.

Quality xD

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I dunno if anyone else saw it, if ya didnt, somehow go watch it back.

Hilarious to see Rory Best, most experienced player, actually kicking his own very inexperienced scrum half Marshall in the backside at the end of the match to tell him to hurry up and kick the ball off the pitch.

Quality xD

I saw it!

Marshall was asking the ref if time was up and Rory was screaming at him to kick it out. I think Marshall must have said something as Rory then shoved him in the shoulder! It was hilarious stuff!

However there is another side to the story which explains Marshall's reluctance to kick the ball out. I think it was the first game of the season (also against Glasgow) but Marshall kicked the ball out thinking time was up when in fact there were still 15 seconds left...the result Glasgow had a lineout on the Ulster 22! Marshall got slated for it...so in fairness he's learnt his lesson and was just wanting to make sure...still funny to see the two have a go at each other. I'm sure it was harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

bilston wrote: »
    I'm sure it was harmless.

Oh it was of course, in one of the shots after the wistle you can see them laughing together about it.

But I bet it will be replayed again and again at some point in the team room xD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great reuslt for Ulster, seems to have been a terrible night there. Just saw the first and last minute of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

phog wrote: »
    Great reuslt for Ulster, seems to have been a terrible night there. Just saw the first and last minute of the game.

You didn't miss a thing. Ulster were not very good but Glasgow were worse. Ulster's scrum was stuffed at times which is bizarre given that the same guys have hammered the G'gow scrum in the last few games. Perhaps the fact that Cuttita now coaches them is working. If so, Ulster and Munster could do with his services - or those of someone who can improve the scrum performance. Apart from the scrum, Warriors offered nothing, which, given their absentee list, wasn't surprising. I shudder to think how Ulster might have fared against a full strength side.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

jacothelad wrote: »
    You didn't miss a thing. Ulster were not very good but Glasgow were worse. Ulster's scrum was stuffed at times which is bizarre given that the same guys have hammered the G'gow scrum in the last few games. Perhaps the fact that Cuttita now coaches them is working. If so, Ulster and Munster could do with his services - or those of someone who can improve the scrum performance. Apart from the scrum, Warriors offered nothing, which, given their absentee list, wasn't surprising. I shudder to think how Ulster might have fared against a full strength side.

I thought Court had a poor game, especially at srum time

Ach Jaco I think you're being a bit negative. A lot of big sides have lost in Glasgow over the years in better conditions than that. I think that was a good win last night and the back played well. Sometimes our scrum struggled, other times it was strong, it was a real mixed bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

That was Ulster's tricky fixture and they came away with 4 points. Can't ask for more. The way things are set up now, they're odds on to top the group and to earn a home semi final. Castres in the last game is the ideal time to face them. Their interest tends to wane as the tournament goes on. They lost their last three pool games in both the last two seasons and both of their final games were at home (Scarlets and Northampton).

Glasgow at home should be a comfortable win. Perhaps not BP as Glasgow are experts at making life difficult but Ulster have enough experience and class to win through with room to spare. I can see Northampton giving them a good rattle over there but Wilson, Foden and Ashton are big players that aren't there any longer. Foden might be back but it's doubtful and, if he is, won't be match fit. Ulster to come away with a losing BP at worst and take them apart in Ravenhill.

Could be the year of the Gringo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ach Jaco I think you're being a bit negative. A lot of big sides have lost in Glasgow over the years in better conditions than that. I think that was a good win last night and the back played well. Sometimes our scrum struggled, other times it was strong, it was a real mixed bag.

Yes, I just expected a bit more but it was a horrible night and the game was just like the last few we've played there. Cold, wet , slippery ball etc. The scrum 'failure' is a bit of a mystery / concern considering how good Saints' traditionally is. That Glasgow tighthead has suffered badly against Ulster scrums in every game before tonight - so if they can improve in that area.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Poor enough game in terrible conditions. Set piece usually very strong for ulster but was an off night in the scrum and lineout.

Thought Henry was excellent as usual, best was good (around the park) and pienaar controlled the game and showed why he was brought back in. Overall happy enough, a wins a win!

Yes, I just expected a bit more but it was a horrible night and the game was just like the last few we've played there. Cold, wet , slippery ball etc. The scrum 'failure' is a bit of a mystery / concern considering how good Saints' traditionally is. That Glasgow tighthead has suffered badly against Ulster scrums in every game before tonight - so if they can improve in that area.......?

I think last night was a case of get the win and get out of there. Job done in that respect with plenty to work on. The scrunched is a weird one but it wasn't all bad but when it was bad it was very bad or maybe just very good from the Weegies. I don't know how much of an impact the back row has on a scrum but given the tight five is the same as last year I'm wondering if Henderson and Williams arent doing something right?

Muller out for 8 weeks with a thumb injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tuohy Stevenson pairing with Henderson getting the bench lock spot once Ferris comes back? Or will Henderson move into the second row?

Tuohy Stevenson pairing with Henderson getting the bench lock spot once Ferris comes back? Or will Henderson move into the second row?

I'd say it will be Stevenson and Tuohy with Henderson on the bench.

Doing the maths Muller could be back for the second Northampton game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think it'll be McComb on the bench tbh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Huge loss that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

awec wrote: »
    Huge loss that.:(

His leadership qualities as well as his presence will be badly missed especially away game at Northampton.

ULSTER SQUAD TO FACE DRAGONS, RABODIRECT PRO12, FRI 26TH OCTOBER, RODNEY PARADE (7.05PM):
    FORWARDS (15):
    Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Tom Court, Callum Black, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, John Afoa, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (capt), Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.
    BACKS (11):
    Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson rested, he's started the last five games.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson rested, he's started the last five games.

You could well be right. We could stick Pienaar to 10 (not NOC please...)and that way Marshall gets a game at 9 ahead of the AIs. If he's fit I would think Kidney may have "asked" for Deccie Fitz to start at TH for this one as well. Apart from that I'd keep it the same from Glasgow (obviously Ferris comes back as well if he's available) while we can because after this weekend we'll be without half that squad for about a month so another win now will do rightly. Of course you can't second guess Anscombe's selection especially in the Pro 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If anscombe was going to pick Marshall/Pienaar I'd duess we would've put Heaney in the squad? I think Jackson will play 10. If he gets a callup from Deccie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd say Anscomb (and all provincial head coaches) might be ringing up Kidney to find out who will be involved in the AIs because if a player isn't going to be involved in the AIs they will get plenty of rest in November since most provinces only have two matches in that month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement