Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

OMG..
    This is a huge kick to win the game for Ulster.

HOLY F*CK
    He did it. 55 metres in a terrible rain and wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ruan Piennar:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ongarite wrote: »
    OMG..
    This is a huge kick to win the game for Ulster.

HOLY F*CK
    He did it. 55 metres in a terrible rain and wind.
    totally agree massive kick, RP proving his worth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Absolutely unbelievable kick by Pienaar. It seemed to take the linesmen an age to lift their flags. Great stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

It was a good thing the referee said there wasn't enough time to go for the line-out!!!
    Here's me wishing Ian Humphries had been there to take the final penalty...and Pienaar cracks it over from his own half at an angle!!! :D
    Stand up for the Ulstermen!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Backs apart from Pienaar, Spence and Marshall when he came on were poor. Forwards won the game with aid of Pienaar's boot. If it had been better weather I think Scarlets would have won but to win for first time away to Scarlets was great and hopefully Ulster can push on from here. Important that they take the points against Cardiff next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

just wondering how did paddy jackson do on his debut?
    Are paul and luke marshall related?
    And what do ulster fans see there best irish back line in a year or 2?
    somethig like
    Marshall,Jackson,Gilroy,L Marshall/Whitten,Spence,Trimble,Darcy?

liam12989 wrote: »
    somethig like
    Paddy Jackson did ok, he didn't set the world alight but but he didn't do much wrong. Pienaar had a massive game at 9 and took so much pressure off him which made it much easier for him.

Luke and Paul aren't related.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

liam12989 wrote: »
    somethig like

Just wondering if you're asking what will be a possible Irish national team backline or the best all Irish Ulster backline in a few years?

How long does Paul Marshall have left on his contract at Ulster, I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs sniffing around. I'd be surprised if he goes as he seems to be a proud Ulster player but Pienaar will be there for the next two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borna7

Ulster look to have a talanted set of backs coming through. Jackson, Marshall and Spence in the midfield could be something special in a few years. Can't see Paul Marshall ever making it as first choice scrum half. Pass just isn't up to it and can make mind boggling bad decisions.

Hope they sort out D'Arcy's contract soon. Looks like he could be a top player. Good pace, runs good lines and a big boot. Also got to remember this is his first season in real pro rugby. After a full pre season could improve even further next year

• Advertisement

borna7 wrote: »
    Ulster look to have a talanted set of backs coming through. Jackson, Marshall and Spence in the midfield could be something special in a few years. Can't see Paul Marshall ever making it as first choice scrum half. Pass just isn't up to it and can make mind boggling bad decisions.

Hope they sort out D'Arcy's contract soon. Looks like he could be a top player. Good pace, runs good lines and a big boot. Also got to remember this is his first season in real pro rugby. After a full pre season could improve even further next year

I beg to disagree re Marshall. Haven't seen him have a poor game yet. D'Arcy hadn't a great game last night but in better conditions would probably have flourished. Real worry for Ulster at present is the lack of tries they're scoring. I think Cave provided penetration that is at present lacking.

Personally think Porter has more potential than Marshall and could overtake him in the pecking order next year. Marshall does have good footwork and a nice break but his pass and decision making just worry me. IH has played superbly this season in part thanks to the excellent service he's received from Piennar.

Classic example of Marshall play was in the build up to the drop goal attempt. Get's bad ball and rather than set it up again flings it back to Piennar who has two men on him and the chance was lost. That could easily have cost Ulster the game.

Personally think Porter has more potential than Marshall and could overtake him in the pecking order next year. Marshall does have good footwork and a nice break but his pass and decision making just worry me. IH has played superbly this season in part thanks to the excellent service he's received from Piennar.

Classic example of Marshall play was in the build up to the drop goal attempt. Get's bad ball and rather than set it up again flings it back to Piennar who has two men on him and the chance was lost. That could easily have cost Ulster the game.

Fully take your point re Paul Marshall. Also agree re Ian Porter - he was outstanding for Queens last season and can kick goals from almost anywhere.

Has anyone heard any announcements about Andress signing for Ulster, I've heard rumors in a few places but nothing official, I'd be disappointed if Andress came in, he is a decent prop but not who ulster want to sign if they have any ambition

How long do people reckon Ferris has as a professional rugby player, I hate to say it but with his record of injuries (no cartilage in one knee) I wouldn't be surprised if he quit before he hits 30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

With Botha moving to Munster Ulster need a tight head prop urgently. Andress however is not in the same league as B.J. and if we sign him we're forked. Our scrum options actually seem o.k. but we have been used to Botha giving us a really attacking set piece.

Strangely enough, Gerry 'crazy hair' Cronin has looked the best tighthead back-up and has done well in his short appearances. Deccie Fitzpatrick flatters to deceive too often. Adam Macklin is recovered from his broken ankle and while he has looked like a fish out of water in his few games to date, maybe he'll actually start living up to his promise from school days. He played in the A game the other day and apparently he was great at no.3.

ULSTER (15-9) Adam D'Arcy, Andrew Trimble, Nevin Spence, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy; Ian Humphreys, Ruan Pienaar (1-8) Bryan Young, Andi Kyriacou, Declan Fitzpatrick, Johann Muller (Captain), Tim Barker, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg
    Replacements (16-23) Nigel Brady, Paddy McAllister, Jerry Cronin, Ryan Caldwell, TJ Anderson, Paul Marshall, Ian Whitten, Tommy Seymour

Cardiff team
    15 Dan Fish 14 Richard Mustoe 13 Gavin Evans 12 Dafydd Hewitt 11 Tom James 10 Ceri Sweeney 9 Rhys Downes
    8 Xavier Rush 7 Martyn Williams 6 Andries Pretorius 5 Paul Tito (c) 4 Deiniol Jones 3 Scott Andrews 2 T Rhys Thomas 1 Taufa'ao Filise
    16 Gareth Williams 17 Nathan Trevett 18 Sam Hobbs 19 Ben White 20 Ma'ama Molitika 21 Tom Slater 22 Gareth Davies 23 James Loxton

11, 12, 13 all under 22, and looking confident thus far.

Ulster doing a really really good job with their youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I love how much game-time Spence and Gilroy are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hows Jerry Cronin doing?

Gutted if it's true Botha is going to Munster. Why if this was on the cards was Hagan not sent Ulster's way where he'd get plenty of game time in the Heine. There are currenly 4 tight heads in and around the Ireland squad. One Hayes is due to retire, Buckley is heading to England and the remaining 2 are at the same Province!!!!

Could accept Hagan to Leinster if Ross was heading to Munster but just seems that Connacht and Ulster have been screwed in the whole thing to suit Munster and Leinster. Hagan could find himself benching in the Heine for the next couple of seasons if Ross stays fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Could accept Hagan to Leinster if Ross was heading to Munster but just seems that Connacht and Ulster have been screwed in the whole thing to suit Munster and Leinster. Hagan could find himself benching in the Heine for the next couple of seasons if Ross stays fit.

Well...BJ is at the end of his contract with Ulster. Maybe they don't want to keep him there for some reason.

Hagan is a poor one alright, but ultimately Leinster have more money then Connacht. Hagan was apparently leaving anyway but to go to England.

profitius wrote: »
    Hows Jerry Cronin doing?

Jerry cronin has done very well on the limited game time he's had. It looks as if he enjoys full time training with Ulster and I hope he gets a deal for next season. Alas it seems Ulster may have already recruited John Andress.

Convincing BP win for Ulster against the Blues. Thats a major help for them to get into the top 4 for next season.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Jerry Cronin has done very well on the limited game time he's had. It looks as if he enjoys full time training with Ulster and I hope he gets a deal for next season. Alas it seems Ulster may have already recruited John Andress.

I should have said nowt. He got a real rough ride tonight by a young guy called Hobbs in the last 2 or 3 scrums. The young Ulster backs are looking more and more impressive with each game. Gilroy, L.Marshall and Spence were terrific but the performance was good from everyone....the only real blot being iHumph missing a straightforward penalty and two long range ones.We have to realise that the Blues were missing 11 first team players and Ulster missing 9.

We have to realise that the Blues were missing 11 first team players and Ulster missing 9.
    Really, I count 7? Botha, Best, Court, Tuohy, Ferris, Wallace, Danielli. I suppose you could add Cave but thats debatable since I doubt he will walk back into the side ahead of Spence.

Just watching the highlights here, some quality attacking rugby played by Ulster. Looked really dangerous getting the ball wide. Their speed at the breakdown was sensationaly, Pienearr moved the ball so fast that cardiff never had a chance to set their defensive line.

Things looking even better for an already strong Ulster team.

iHumph seems to have had a good game too...

Really, I count 7? Botha, Best, Court, Tuohy, Ferris, Wallace, Danielli. I suppose you could add Cave but thats debatable since I doubt he will walk back into the side ahead of Spence.

Cave and Diack who has been our best 8 this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Cave and Diack who has been our best 8 this season.
    But Diack was playing for the A team..

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Just seen Northampton lost to Gloucester and are down to forth in the league. Although they are missing their best players at the moment I still think its the best draw Ulster could have got. Hopefully this slide continues and Ulster get through.

• Advertisement

jolley123 wrote: »
    But Diack was playing for the A team..
    Because he is coming back from injury. He is our best 8.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement