Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

damianmcr wrote: »
    Where did you hear these rumours. I know Stevie has been tweeting Kaino but I wouldnt read into that.

Have seen Bowe joked about but again it was just wishful thinking I assumed.

Someone on Munster fans said from a source Kaino was signed on for 3yrs.

Silly season.
    Kaino is coming to Ulster FACT

Thing is he isn't coming to join the squad but to holiday and visit his best friend, the man he asked to be best man at his wedding Afoa.

Bowe's Osprey contract is up at the end of the season. Obviously teams will be talking about him and he is an Ulsterman. Munster apparently want him to replace Howlett as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Bowe's Osprey contract is up at the end of the season. Obviously teams will be talking about him and he is an Ulsterman. Munster apparently want him to replace Howlett as well.

I'm sure they do! However, Bowe is signed on until 2013.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2009/1228/1224261315910.html

I think the last year is an option but he's going out with a Welsh girl last I heard and very settled there. I can see him fulfilling the full term of the deal. Not sure I'd want to see him at Munster. Not being smart but the quality and frequency of ball their wingers get could see his game suffer. He'd be far better off heading home and being part of one of the most exciting back lines around. Bowe, Trimble, Cave, Payne, Wallace, Pienaar and Humphreys. That would be some back line with decent ball. If Wilson comes back and plays well and sign a top class flanker to play alongside Ferris, Ulster would have the beatings of anyone in Europe. Even without Bowe, they will be a serious force to be reckoned with with one more good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

6.Ferris
    7.Henry
    8.Kaino

19.Wilson

Kaino has played plenty of rugby at 8

Christ, McIlroy must be investing again:D

Ha ha imagine if rory wins the masters , Dan carter will start brushing up his cv!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Bowe goes home poor old Gilroy will be neglected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If Bowe goes home poor old Gilroy will be neglected!

He won't though. They can start introducing a rotation style system a la Leinster.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    He won't though. They can start introducing a rotation style system a la Leinster.

Actually, this is quite true. Both Trimble and Gilroy have had a lot of experience on both wings, and Bowe is definitely able to play 11 too. They could easily rotate properly between the three of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Wilson's a good signing, always good to see the local lads move back. Bowe's next move will be interesting, the IRFU will be very keen to bring him home, i doubt a transitional Munster team will be attractive to him which only leaves Ulster.

I wonder how the Welsh salary cap will impact Bowes decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ravens Squad for B&I Cup Quarter Final
    19 January 2012, 11:26 am
    By Richard Finlay

Ulster Ravens coach Gary Longwell has named his starting XV and replacements to take on Munster A in the British & Irish Cup quarter final at Ravenhill this Friday (kick off 7.30pm)...

Longwell has stuck largely with the squad that went through the group stages winning four from four. The only player ruled out through injury is fullback Peter Nelson, the Ravens top try scorer this season.

Nigel Brady, a week after winning his 100th cap for the senior team, will captain the side from hooker and is joined in the front row by Ballynahinch props Jerry Cronin and Paddy McAllister. The latter was yesterday invited to join the Ireland training squad ahead of their 6 Nations campaign despite missing the last couple of games with Ulster through injury.

Tim Barker and Neil McComb, who have been central to the Ravens run to the quarter final, will once again combine in the second row. Conor Joyce, Ali Birch and Mike McComish form a mobile back row.

Blane McIlroy gets an opportunity at scrumhalf ahead of Ian Porter, where he is joined at halfback by Paddy Jackson, who has returned from an ankle injury. Luke Marshall is also making his way back from an ankle injury and will line out at centre alongside Chris Farrell. Michael Allen joins Dungannon players Chris Cochrane and Conor Gaston in an energetic back three.

Phoenix Academy forwards Niall Annett, Conor Carey, James Simpson and Iain Henderson are joined on the bench by Belfast Harlequins prop Richard Lutton. Ian Porter and James McKinney provide cover for the backs.

Munster A will have a number of players who played in the group stages unavailable for the quarter final. The increasing injury situation in the senior squad has led to a number of ‘A’ squad members gaining promotion as cover. But Head Coach Ian Costello will see this as an opportunity to expose more Academy and Development players at this level.

Gary Longwell’s side have not played a competitive fixture for over a month but he believes the current good form of the senior team will inspire his squad. He said: “There has been a great buzz in training on the back of some great performances from the seniors in recent weeks. The win over Leicester in particular, has given the whole of Ulster Rugby a lift. Hopefully we will get a big crowd out at Ravenhill to cheer on the boys. It would be a great start to the weekend if we could get a result on Friday but we are well aware how difficult it will be.”

Longwell continued: “Munster have a great Academy structure and have an abundance of talent coming through the ranks. As with all Munster teams, we are expecting a very tough game. They will be strong up front and we will need to match them physically if we want to progress further in this competition. But it’s a challenge that the player and coaching staff are all relishing.

“A match like this, in the knockout stages against a team like Munster, will do a great deal for the development of some of our young players. It will also give some of the senior players the chance to put their hand up. We will be looking for them to use their experience by helping the younger players.”

Tickets for the game are on sale from the Ravenhill Ticket Office, over the telephone on 02890493222 or online at www.ulsterrugby.com.

The Grandstand and Promenade side of the ground will be open for the game and tickets are priced at £10 adult and £5 child for anywhere in the ground. Entry is free to 11/12 Season Ticket Holders who can show their pass on match night to gain entry.

Please be aware that gates open at 6.30pm and parking will available within the grounds but will be on a first come first served basis. We are keen to minimise disruption caused to local residents and would ask that any supporters attending the fixture refrain from parking along Onslow Parade, Ravenhill Park and Ravenhill Park Gardens.

Ravens XV & replacements to play Munster A in the British & Irish Cup Quarter Final, Ravenhill, Friday 20th January (kick off 7.30pm):

1 Paddy McAllister
    2 Nigel Brady (capt)
    3 Jerry Cronin
    4 Tim Barker
    5 Neil McComb
    6 Conor Joyce
    7 Ali Birch
    8 Mike McComish
    9 Blane McIlroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    11 Chris Cochrane
    12 Luke Marshall
    13 Chris Farrell
    14 Michael Allen
    15 Conor Gaston

Replacements
    16 Niall Annett
    17 Conor Carey
    18 Richard Lutton
    19 James Simpson
    20 Iain Henderson
    21 Ian Porter
    22 James McKinney

interesting 5/2 split on the bench, very strong front row and its good to see Marshall and Jackson back from injury.

Here is the Munster side, interesting to see see Holland starting, I would have thought he would be with the senior side give the injury worries there.

Munster: Sean Scanlon; Luke O’Dea, Will Chambers, JJ Hanrahan, Ronan O’Mahony; Scott Deasy, Duncan Williams; Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Henry, Christy Condon; Dave Foley, Ian Nagle; Billy Holland capt, Brian O’Hara, Paddy Butler. Replacements: Mike Sherry, John Ryan, Brian Hayes, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Declan Cusack, Ivan Dineen.

• Advertisement

Ulster are now qualified for the knockout stages of the HEC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Brilliant stuff. Well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

YESSSS! Thank you gloucester

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Leinster Ulster quarterfinal in Aviva?! Or are there more shocks to come?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

As a Leinster fan, please god no Leinster-Ulster QF (if that's possible), they will be so up for it and in no way afraid of the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Tox56 wrote: »
    As a Leinster fan, please god no Leinster-Ulster QF (if that's possible), they will be so up for it and in no way afraid of the Aviva.

Very much agree. I'd almost have preferred Toulouse. Ulster are on a serious upswing and will bring a massive and extremely vocal travelling support. Their pack are afraid of nobody right now and the mystique of facing the reigning champions is totally nullified when you're mates with half of them.

GerM wrote: »
    Very much agree. I'd almost have preferred Toulouse. Ulster are on a serious upswing and will bring a massive and extremely vocal travelling support. Their pack are afraid of nobody right now and the mystique of facing the reigning champions is totally nullified when you're mates with half of them.

I'd say its very likely to be Leinster Ulster, you can't take anything for granted, especially after tonight. Cardiff, Leinster, Clermont and Edinburgh are all likely to win, this guarantees Leinster Ulster in Aviva..... I'd be amazed if these four teams don't win over weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

leonard7 wrote: »
    YESSSS! Thank you gloucester

You might want to add Connacht in there as well :rolleyes:;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

GerM wrote: »

I'd much prefer Ulster than Toulouse. No offence to the Ulster folk but it's been years since Ulster won in Dublin, I don't think they've ever done it in the Celtic/Magners/Pro12 league. Our record against Ulster in general is fantastic with only 2 losses I think since the start of the Celtic/Magners/Pro12 league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Ulster are by no means dead and buried already for the next game. After their intensity and no little skill last weekend, I expect them to be very much in the winning mentality and will be loathe to give up any points. Huge challenge, yes, but round 6 will always cause upsets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd sooner face Ulster then most other teams in the QF tbh. They're definitely on an upward swing and will improve immeasurably over the next few years, but they're not near the height of their powers yet. They have a godawful record against Leinster too.

Playing Ulster in the Aviva would not be a nice experience for Leinster. Past results would not matter a jot in this game. Ulster would bring 10k plus with them and it could be a very tricky game for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Ulster v Leinster would certainly be a game you'd want Boss at sh. I can't imagine Leinsters scrum being on the front foot all night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Brewster wrote: »
    Playing Ulster in the Aviva would not be a nice experience for Leinster. Past results would not matter a jot in this game. Ulster would bring 10k plus with them and it could be a very tricky game for Leinster.

All QFs are tricky games.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

d-gal wrote: »
    You might want to add Connacht in there as well :rolleyes:;)

connacht kept a quins team that id be much less afraid of facing in the quarter-finals out and kept a talented toulouse team in the competition

Podge_irl wrote: »
    All QFs are tricky games.

Absolutely Podge. I haven't written off Ulster getting something tomorrow, imagine if Ulster lost by less than five, scored same amount of tries and topped pool! Clermont would go through as best runner up!

ABDOLUTE F*CKIN YES

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ulster's fixtures and potential fixture in April are now:

Munster v Ulster HEC QF
    Connacht v Ulster Pro12
    Ulster v Leinster Pro12
    Ulster v Edinburgh/Toulouse HEC SF

The last Pro 12 fixture is:
    Munster v Ulster Pro12

It's a very inter provincial couple of weeks.

Ulster's recent record against Munster could be better, P11 W5 L6, but enough to not make it an impossible mental barrier to overcome.

11/12 33-17 (Ravenhill)
    10/11 35-10 (Thomond) 6-16 (Ravenhill)
    09/10 24-10 (Thomond) 15-10 (Ravenhill)
    08/09 11-37 (Thomond) 22-6 (Ravenhill)
    07/08 42-6 (Musgrave) 19-9 (Ravenhill)
    06/07 21-13 (Musgrave) 21-24 (Ravenhill)

Statistics are only as good as the information they're based on and due to the IRFU player welfare scheme and teams also resting players the above info should be taken with a bit of salt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Reports that Ulster have a big announcement tomorrow, no clues to what it is, Kaino possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Reports that Ulster have a big announcement tomorrow, no clues to what it is, Kaino possibly?

I'd say its coaching related

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement