Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

3 months and ligament damage?! I would have thought the players welfare would have come first

Huge loss for Ireland if he misses the AI's. And after that scourge of a Lions tests

I think Tommy might have been pretty happy to risk three months out to play the tests.

It's a risk for any player coming back from injury, especially when they're pushing so hard to get back for something so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I think Tommy might have been pretty happy to risk three months out to play the tests.

It's a risk for any player coming back from injury, especially when they're pushing so hard to get back for something so important.

No doubt, I'm sure he would have risked a lot to play in that test! Just seems (and I'm not a doctor so it's fairly speculative) that Bowe was rushed back by a coaching team who didn't have to worry about his well being three months down the line

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fcuk. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ulster can handle this kind of loss better than most with a back 3 of Gilroy, Trimble and Payne. Still a loss obviously.

Things are conspiring against us.

I presume we'll be starting the season without Pienaar too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bowe and Ferris should start a 'Men's Shed' for the consolation of the permanently injured

Very frustrating all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Things are conspiring against us.

I presume we'll be starting the season without Pienaar too?

I would think/guess the following

Pienaar - back in October, away again in November, back in December
    Ferris - Hopefully back in December/January
    Afoa - Not sure but can't see him being here at the start of the season, think he tweeted the other day he was just returning to NI.
    Bowe - November
    Best - October, although to be fair Leinster and Munster will be missing plenty of players until October as well.
    Wilson - ???
    Wallace - Last time I looked at UAFC they were saying he is still recovering.

Still plenty of injuries unfortunately.

:(:(

We'll do well to be near the top of the table come November / December.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

:(:(

We'll do well to be near the top of the table come November / December.

We will be fine, the majority of those players had a limited number of appearances during the same time last year and we did very well, Olding and Marshall are probably a step up on Wallace, obviously Afoa is a loss but it gives Lutton a real chance to kick on after a good end to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Afoa is back in Belfast. The season doesn't start until September 6th. I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved by the second or, at the latest, the third game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

anyone hazard a guess of our starting team for glasgow?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    anyone hazard a guess of our starting team for glasgow?

Dragons first up I think but I was thinking about this the other day, working on the assumption that the North American tourists and Lions are unavailable with the Emerging Ireland boys ready to go I would say something like this...

Payne, Gilroy, Farrell, Marshall, Allen, McKinney, Heaney
    McAlistair, Herring, Lutton, Muller, Stevenson, Diack, Doyle, Williams

That's assuming they are all available, not sure whether McAlistair will start though as he hasn't played in a long time so maybe Callum Black will get the nod with Paddy Mac being eased in from the bench. Anyway it's a rough guess there are two pre-season friendlies and three weeks to go until the season gets underway.

Decent enough side there that may be good enough to win at Rodney Parade, questions over the half backs though which would be a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd love to see a back-line of

9. Paul Marshall
    10. Stuart Olding
    11. Craig Gilroy
    12. Chris Farrell
    13. Jared Payne
    14. Andrew Trimble
    15. David McIlwaine

I was kinda hoping the North American tour guys would've been back for the glasgow game. Its tough enough against them with a full strength team...!

I was kinda hoping the North American tour guys would've been back for the glasgow game. Its tough enough against them with a full strength team...!

They might be back for Glasgow but they started pre-season two weeks after everyone so on that basis they shouldn't really be due back until Rd 3 and the Connacht match but maybe it won't work like that.

I have to say Kukri absolutely fry my head. A few weeks until the season starts and everything still out of stock on the ulsterrugby.com shop. What a waste of potential sales.

Amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I have to say Kukri absolutely fry my head. A few weeks until the season starts and everything still out of stock on the ulsterrugby.com shop. What a waste of potential sales.

Amateurish.

Try here

.ak wrote: »
    Try here

:D

In all seriousness, look at the difference. Replica stuff all in stock.

Our stuff is on some third party site, but the site says the supporters jersey is usually a big fit and people may need to go down a size. I wear a size XS, can't go down any further than that, so was going to buy the test jersey.

And of course, the test jersey comes in M, L, XL only on that site. :(

hurry up new season....:(

Looking forward to the game on Friday now. Anyone reckon they could hazard a guess at what sort of team Ulster will put out?

• Advertisement

The Lions and US tour players will be out.

but you will see guys like

Herring
    Annett / Lutton
    Black
    Diack
    Stevenson?
    Doyle
    Blane McilRoy
    McComish
    Farrell
    Payne???

its acutually difficult to think of a full team?!

Yeah lot of them were over for the USA tour I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Interesting to see if the Paddy Mac rumours about moving to tighthead amount to anything. From an Ireland point of view it would be great, but from Ulster's perspective, after Afoa they still have Lutton, Fitzpatrick, Ross, Macklin and Taylor. In any case, he looks absolutely gigantic these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Herring
    Annett / Lutton
    Black
    Diack
    Stevenson?
    Doyle
    Blane McilRoy
    McComish
    Farrell
    Payne???

Mcilroy isn't with the squad anymore. Possible team of

Black
    Herring
    Lutton
    Stevenson
    Muller
    Diack
    Doyle
    Williams
    Heaney
    McKinney
    Cochrane
    Marshall
    Farrell
    Allen
    Payne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Herring
    Annett / Lutton
    Black
    Diack
    Stevenson?
    Doyle
    Blane McilRoy
    McComish
    Farrell
    Payne???

I thought Henderson, Cave and Olding are out - they are specfically mentioned by Anscombe as unavailable until Glasgow at home. That would iimply Jackson, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Marshall, Trimble will all be selectable.

Looking forward to the game on Friday now. Anyone reckon they could hazard a guess at what sort of team Ulster will put out?

What about Leinster? Any news on the team? I'm sure I could find it on the Leinster thread!

RuPi wrote: »

Black
    Herring
    Lutton
    Stevenson
    Muller
    Diack
    Doyle
    Williams
    Heaney
    McKinney
    Cochrane
    Marshall
    Farrell
    Allen
    Payne

I'd say Gilroy should be involved as he didn't tour in the summer.

Thinking back to last season's friendlies can anyone remember whether the likes of Trimble and Henry played? For some reason I think they did? Maybe it was the year before.

The Leinster game is probably the best opportunity to give guys who went to North America a run out as Leinster will be at the same stage of pre season as ourselves, particularly the Ireland players who started back two weeks later than the rest of the squad. That doesn't mean they will be ready for the Dragons game but at the same time they probably need a bit of gametime under their belt even if they are a couple of weeks behind in pre season.

bilston wrote: »
    What about Leinster? Any news on the team? I'm sure I could find it on the Leinster thread!

Nothing really, as you said we're in the same boat as you guys - USA players and Lions won't be playing, although some reckon Madigan will feature somehow.

We'll have some key players returning from injury who didn't tour, the likes of Fitzgerald, D'arcy and Reddan, so mix them up with some academy and new senior faces like Hudson, Macken, Byrne, SCM and Boyle and you'll get an idea of what our backline will look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RuPi wrote: »

Black
    Herring
    Lutton
    Stevenson
    Muller
    Diack
    Doyle
    Williams
    Heaney
    McKinney
    Cochrane
    Marshall
    Farrell
    Allen
    Payne

That's a great team, all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

is RTE showing the game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement