Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my iMac dying?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a few issues in the last few months with my 20" iMac. Mainly when Ive been doing any sort of software update.

I tried some updates last year which failed and caused a kernel panic on my Mac, where I couldn't reboot. I had to do a full erase and reinstall. I updated all the software after the reinstall before copying any files back over and it worked fine.

It's been running ok until I tried to update at the weekend to include the Mac App Store. When I first tried an update it failed. There were 4 updates in all which I tried to install together but it obviously didn't work. I clicked software update and only highlighted the OSX update and it installed fine. The Mac App store app installed in the dock etc. Since then I've had problems.

Firstly none of my applications in the dock would work. I'd click on them but nothing. I rebooted and it sorted it out but it happened again today. Nothing would work. I could move the mouse around the screen and click on things but nothing happened. I couldn't shut the Mac down through the menus, even though I could click the option.

I booted up in safe mode and went in to Utillies to repair disk permissions. I then rebooted but it wouldn't boot up properly. It looked like it was trying to boot up again in safe mode, with the long scroll bar filling up slowly below the spinning wheel. It never got to boot up and just kept powering down. Tried it a few times and the same thing happened.

I ran my original install disk and and checked the disk and it said there were faults. I ran repair disk and it couldn't repair the errors and advised and erase and install.

So I erased the disk and tried to reinstall from my disk. The reinstall keeps failing after about five minutes, just pops up and says the install failed and to restart the machine and try again, which I have done a few times with the same result.

I've checked the disk again and it's showing up as fine but I can't reinstall OSX on the machine at all.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone got any ideas at all? I thought my hard drive might be dying but once it was erased it showing up in disk repair as being ok. Could I have something more serious wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Your hard drive IS dying. I've had two in warranty replacements in an group of 13 iMacs. Newer OSes check the hard drive before install hence failure ( usually get error to that effect ) Also updates are a good test for failing HDs, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

muggyog wrote: »
    Your hard drive IS dying. I've had two in warranty replacements in an group of 13 iMacs. Newer OSes check the hard drive before install hence failure ( usually get error to that effect ) Also updates are a good test for failing HDs, I find.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried a few more times to install OSX and still no joy.

Hopefully you are right and it's only the hard drive. I think I'll get someone to take a look at it.

There's an authorized Apple dealer across the road from where I work so Ill probably take it with me to work tomorrow or the next day and drop it in to them.

New drives aren't too expensive right? I've had the same internal drive since I bought the machine about 5 years ago so have no idea on their cost. I don't mind paying them to do it too. I'm sure they'll have a good look first anyway before diagnosing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

If it's a G5 iMac it could be the well documented capacitor failure.
    http://www.google.com/search?&q=G5+imac+capacitor

Liameter wrote: »
    If it's a G5 iMac it could be the well documented capacitor failure.
    http://www.google.com/search?&q=G5+imac+capacitor

Thanks for the input but it's a late 2006 Intel Core2 Duo Mac.

I left it in to Mactivate on Tuesday morning and am waiting for a diagnosis. Hopefully have some news tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

adox wrote: »
    Thanks for the input but it's a late 2006 Intel Core2 Duo Mac.

I left it in to Mactivate on Tuesday morning and am waiting for a diagnosis. Hopefully have some news tomorrow.

That's nuts. For what these things cost there should be a longer lifespan.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    That's nuts. For what these things cost there should be a longer lifespan.

It may be something as simple as a hard drive failure though.

Ok, was in with Mactivate and the hard drive has indeed failed. I think they are still running a few more checks.

I`m undecided as to whether I will get them to install a new drive or just bite the bullit and buy a new machine. I`m due and upgrade really at this stage I suppose.

Its costing a bit to get a 1TB drive installed in it so I`m not sure if I`d prefer to put that money towards a new machine.

Any thoughts from anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much do they want?

Hard drives fail all the time. I wouldn't be going buying a new machine just because of that.

But either way, take the machine home, buy an internal drive online and install it yourself. It's a white iMac, yeah? Replacing the HDD isn't quite as easy as on the current machines, but perfectly doable.

How much do they want?

Hard drives fail all the time. I wouldn't be going buying a new machine just because of that.

But either way, take the machine home, buy an internal drive online and install it yourself. It's a white iMac, yeah? Replacing the HDD isn't quite as easy as on the current machines, but perfectly doable.

They are looking for €249!

I've had a look online about installing it yourself and it does look quite tricky.

I'm sure you've posted in the past about having a nightmare installing one in the same machine?

Either way, they charge €80 for a diagnosis if you don't go ahead with the repair, so they'll be getting money out of me one way or the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I replaced the HDD in my 17-inch white iMac. You can see the thread I started about it here. It wasn't too bad actually, but I didn't have a proper screwdriver which made it difficult.

Is the €249 on top of the €80 for diagnosis?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I replaced the HDD in my 17-inch white iMac. You can see the thread I started about it here. It wasn't too bad actually, but I didn't have a proper screwdriver which made it difficult.

Is the €249 on top of the €80 for diagnosis?

No it's €249 in total. They charge €80 for the diagnosis but only charge it if you don't get the repair work done.

The guy didn't push me towards a new machine but certainly put the thought in my mind with something like " it's up to you if you want put €249 in to an old machine, or would you be better putting it towards a new machine".

Also going on about the age of the machine( just under four and a half years by my reckoning) and they could replace the hard drive but something else could fail in the near future blah blah blah.

As I said he didn't push me towards a new machine per se, and I have found them very good to deal with so far, but the idea was certainly planted in my mind.

I'm totally undecided what to do as this stage. I have the weekend at least to think about it. I'm going to have a read of your thread now. I don't think I would have the confidence to attempt it myself. The only way I could see myself having a go at it is, if I did get a new machine and took the 20" home as a secondary machine. Maybe I'd try it then.

I know I'm the only one that can make the decision but any input, opinion or comment would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be inclined to agree with what the Mactivate guy told you. Personally I wouldn't pump €249 into a 4+ year old machine either.

But having said that, a new Mac is a lot of money, especially if you weren't planning on one. How long more did expect to get out of your current machine? Were you already considering an upgrade?

I'd be inclined to agree with what the Mactivate guy told you. Personally I wouldn't pump €249 into a 4+ year old machine either.

But having said that, a new Mac is a lot of money, especially if you weren't planning on one. How long more did expect to get out of your current machine? Were you already considering an upgrade?

I had been considering an upgrade since the middle of last year, if truth be told. It was on the back burner though, rather than a must do. I suppose I would have been more than happy to squeeze 5-6 years out of the machine(from purchase date).

Also I knew the cost Mactivate would charge to replace the drive, if that was the fault, as the guy I checked it in with on Tuesday speculated that that could be the problem, from the symptoms that I had explained to him. He told me the price to replace it if that was indeed the problem.

I've had since Tuesday to mull over the idea of pumping €249 into my old machine or spending considerably more and buying a new machine. I am veering towards a new machine even though it's a more costly solution by far.

They also sell iMacs so I may buy straight from them. I had a look at their prices and they are more or less identical to the Apple store.

Also I haven't even considered which model to get, if I do replace it. 21.5 inch for sure, but what spec I'll have to consider. I'm totally ignorant of the details on the three new intel processors, so I'll have to look into that if I do indeed upgrade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had been considering an upgrade since the middle of last year, if truth be told. It was on the back burner though, rather than a must do. I suppose I would have been more than happy to squeeze 5-6 years out of the machine(from purchase date).

Also I knew the cost Mactivate would charge to replace the drive, if that was the fault, as the guy I checked it in with on Tuesday speculated that that could be the problem, from the symptoms that I had explained to him. He told me the price to replace it if that was indeed the problem.

I've had since Tuesday to mull over the idea of pumping €249 into my old machine or spending considerably more and buying a new machine. I am veering towards a new machine even though it's a more costly solution by far.

They also sell iMacs so I may buy straight from them. I had a look at their prices and they are more or less identical to the Apple store.

Also I haven't even considered which model to get, if I do replace it. 21.5 inch for sure, but what spec I'll have to consider. I'm totally ignorant of the details on the three new intel processors, so I'll have to look into that if I do indeed upgrade.

Would they take yours as a trade? €169 to replace and fit a new HD doesn't sound excessive. Have a look at what they are going for on adverts and see if it is worth replacing, then selling towards a new iMac? I certainly wouldn't be keen on getting rid of it just because of a HD failure.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Would they take yours as a trade? €169 to replace and fit a new HD doesn't sound excessive. Have a look at what they are going for on adverts and see if it is worth replacing, then selling towards a new iMac? I certainly wouldn't be keen on getting rid of it just because of a HD failure.

I aked them about a trade in and they said they wouldn't take it because of the age of the machine.

I'm sort of 80% sure I'll get a new machine. I'm going to take back my 20" of course. What I might do is look in to getting a HD myself for it and have a go at replacing it, then either keep it as a second machine or sell it on.

I'm probably looking at the base 21.5 " machine as a replacement. It looks like it will suit my needs. A 1TB drive would have been nice but it's not upgradable in that machine.

Can I ask is anyone familiar with the lower spec Macs?

I will be getting one tomorrow most likely and it will be a 21.5" for sure.

I had sort of settled on the entry level one but am wondering if the next model up, with the faster processor, better graphics card and bigger HD is worth the extra €250 odd euros?

Just a quick update. I purchased the base 21.5" model off Mactivate today.

I`ve ordered a HD off Komplett and am going to have a go at installing that on my old machine.:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just a quick update. I purchased the base 21.5" model off Mactivate today.

I`ve ordered a HD off Komplett and am going to have a go at installing that on my old machine.:D

Good luck with your new machine, and repairing your old one. Let us know when you put it up on adverts.

Like I said in the old thread, it's not too bad if you get the right screwdriver. Make sure it's not one of those multi-head screwdrivers as they are too thick and you won't be able to get in at some of the screws. Good luck!

Ok, installed the new hard drive without any major issue. Had the help of a guy I work with so it made it fairly straight forward.

Tried loading Snow Leopard on again but it still isnt laoding. Gets half way through and then says it cant load and to restart and try again. Tried a few times but with the same result.

Brought in my old copy of Leopard and tried to install that but again no joy. This tiome it said the disk may be damaged(even though its been in its box since its initial install).

Anyway my work mate came in with a copy of Ubuntu this morning on a cd and that loaded on fine and has the iMac up an running again, but of course I would prefer OSX installed.

I`m not quite sure what the problem is. My work mate, who knows a lot more than me about it, is Romanian, and the language barrier is proving a big problem.

I`m going to have another look at it at lunchtime and see if I can sort it.

• Advertisement

Did you format the new hard disk correctly? i.e. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and using the GUID partition table as the partition scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Gets half way through and then says it can't load and to restart and try again.

I've seen this when using the wrong installation disc for the model. Make sure it's the correct disc or a truly generic disc.

Did you format the new hard disk correctly? i.e. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and using the GUID partition table as the partition scheme.

Yep, done both but still no joy.:(

Liameter wrote: »
    I've seen this when using the wrong installation disc for the model. Make sure it's the correct disc or a truly generic disc.

Both the Leopard and Snow Leopard discs are the ones that I bought in the past to upgrade from Tiger so have been used on the machine before.

Well I finally got it sorted tonight. After numerous failed attempts to install OSX trying various methods, I removed one of the RAM sticks to see if either of them were causing a problem, as I had read they can affect an install if they are faulty.

Removed the first one and hey presto, Snow Leopard installs without a hitch.:)

Im going to leave the stick out and will probably buy a replacement as Im down to 1GB of RAM.

Who would have thought it was something as simple as that!

Advertisement