Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing HDD in white Intel iMac C2D

Options
  • 03-08-2009 10:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done this? Yeah I know it's not easy but I'm pretty confident I can do it. Any tips/advice would be appreciated though.

The drive I'm taking out is 160GB, 5400rpm. Do you think it would be okay to put a 1TB 7200rpm in there? Or might that be too hot? Also, if the temperature sensor doesn't stick back on, would be okay to use electrical tape as I've seen suggested online?

My poor iMac's hdd died last night. Stupid SMART status is still saying verified even though the drive can barely stay spinning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

i rekon its all systems go tbh. I don't think the 7200rpm would run too hot -- i'd say the only issue would be the additional noise from the thing. Yeah a 5400rpm would be ideal but I think you'll be absolutely fine.

sorry about the dead HD.....nothing more frustrating in the whole world!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks, babypink. Just placed an order for a WD 1TB 7200rpm from Komplett.

The extra noise doesn't bother me. With a bigger internal drive I won't have to have my external drive running all the time. So the overall noise level should be reduced.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse. Wouldn't be so bad if it was easier to replace. With my Macbook it's just a few screws to get at the HDD. But at least everything is backed up.

Will I be able restore from everything from Time Machine using my Leopard install disc without having to do a clean install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

should be absolutely fine doing a time machine restore.....

walkthrough here: http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2008/01/restoring-from-time-machine.html

here too....though VERY sparse: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/15638.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭pvik00

You should be able to restore your Time Machine backup without any problems provided you didn't exclude vital system directories and you didn't change your MAC address. (Time Machine uses the MAC address to identify the machine it's backing up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I wouldn't rely on time machine to do a complete restore without problems. I've come across atleast one to do with office. I'd sooner clone the machine than use time machine. it's fine for a backup but just that.

hardest part with imac is getting front bezel off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All done. :D

Overall it wasn't too bad - except for those bloody torx screws. The torx 8 screwdriver I had wasn't long enough and didn't have a magnet. Anyone doing this in the future - make sure you get a screwdriver with a magnetic tip. It's a nightmare trying to get the screws out (not to mention put them back in) without one. I'm ordering one now in case I ever have to do this again.

Time Machine restored everything fine. Took about 3 hours.

I put a WD Cavier Black in. It sounds a little louder at times but is noticeably faster. Good to hear that healthy hard drive sound again.

Yeah the front bezel was tricky. Putting it back was especially difficult. It's still not quiet flush at the top.

Advertisement