Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Schedule and List of Recipes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Malari wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the suitable place for putting this, but I'm having a totally Cooking Club 2011 dinner party tonight:

Goats cheese salad starter, courtesy of Neuro-praxis

My own mushroom risotto with the "Clohane crunch" :D

Suzie Q's reliable flourless chocolate cake, with a side of balsamic strawberries by Des

What time should we arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Honey-ec wrote: »
    What time should we arrive?

Aw, cooking for 5 was just about manageable in my micro-kitchen! Sorry :D

It all went down very well though - thanks for all the great recipes, people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sorry for the delay - I thought my week was in Sept for some reason!
    I'll pop something together tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

CRAP I just realised I'm on Monday. :eek:

To the cookbooks, batman!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Folks, I don't think Stheno is going to be able to participate this week, but I'm hoping to get firm confirmation of that before I get a stand-in.

/edit: That's sorted, a replacement recipe will be going up soon, thanks to ChewChew.

• Advertisement

Insect Overlord will be standing in for LadyE tomorrow, because she is most inconveniently about to pop out a baby. I'm fully expecting it to be named after me for the inconvenience caused :D

Checked this thread to see if I needed to send a reminder to next week's poster. Turns out it's me! :D

/send reminder PM to self.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well you've had plenty of notice so Faith - so g'wan, do the first youtube recipe :D

Oh, I'd love that! :D I already have mine prepared though, and won't have time to do another run of it this weekend.

It has given me an idea for my blog though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was the Halloween recipie posted?
    nice1franko according to the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Next week's entry may not be earth-shattering. I just found out I have to work this weekend - so will be using the limited facilities in my flat here in Switz rather than my kitchen at home. Not to mention finding the damn ingredients in the shops here. Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is it nearly time to take entries for next season?

Are we doing a book? I think we should do a book for charity or something, along the lines of the photography forum's yearly periodical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Hi all,

I would love to be involved when taking on new entries.

Will

Des wrote: »
    Is it nearly time to take entries for next season?

Are we doing a book? I think we should do a book for charity or something, along the lines of the photography forum's yearly periodical.

Yep, I'll start a thread in the next couple of weeks for next year.

I'd love to do a book, but it's complicated with copyright issues. Not every recipe is original and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can you copyright a recipe?

If you can, just change an ingredient!

But that said, all you'd need to do us pick some original recipes from all the submitted recipes.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can you copyright a recipe?

If you can, just change an ingredient!

But that said, all you'd need to do us pick some original recipes from all the submitted recipes.

I've seen some that are definitely from cookbooks and usually it's mentioned in the post, so they couldn't be used. But we could certainly pick out the original ones and see if we could run with that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How would we manage with the photos? They'd need to be pretty good, yeah?

Black Oil wrote: »
    How would we manage with the photos? They'd need to be pretty good, yeah?

We'd need
    • a couple of days in a professional kitchen
    • a professional photographer to take the photos of the stages and finished dishes
    • a printer
    • someone to rectify and standardise the recipes to go to print, ie; an editor (for kg/lbs/g/oz conversions for example, Celsius/Farenheit/Gas Mark etc)
    • someone to check the recipes are originals
    • a longlist, a shortlist and a final list
    • someone to break the news to the people who's recipes don't make it in :pac:

Faith wrote: »
    I've seen some that are definitely from cookbooks and usually it's mentioned in the post, so they couldn't be used. But we could certainly pick out the original ones and see if we could run with that!

Well, mine are original (as much as any recipe is - take a standard one from somewhere then experiment the heck out of it), so there's two you can use from the start.

Also, I have a 7-day pizza recipe here I could do for next season...

We'd need
    • a professional photographer to take the photos of the stages and finished dishes
    • a printer
    • someone to rectify and standardise the recipes to go to print, ie; an editor (for kg/lbs/g/oz conversions for example, Celsius/Farenheit/Gas Mark etc)
    • a gang of hungry folks

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

We'd need
    • a printer

Love this idea! If it does go ahead, Im a sub editor so I could take care of the standardisation of recipes area. (Promise I won't even try to get my recipe in the book on the sly :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Just saw the 2012 thread, can't wait to sign up! Have a suggestion for making drop outs less of a problem, maybe you could sign up the 48 or so people for next year as normal, and if there are offers from other people after those to be stand-ins, get them to send you their recipe over Christmas/New Year. Then, if someone can't do their week, you'll have a list of recipes ready to put up in their place?

That's not a bad idea, but we'd need to give people more time and they'd want to include pictures and the link. It worked handily enough this year having a list of stand-ins - we pretty much always found somebody who'd do it. We are considering doing it in 2 halves, so we'd get 24 sign-ups now, then 24 during the summer. 12 months is a long time to wait for a go, and it's impossible to predict circumstances that far ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2011 seems to have been a good haul, don't think we had many drop outs unless I've not been paying attention.

There was a significant number over the last few months alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Faith wrote: »
    There was a significant number over the last few months alright.

Would it be worth considering keeping the regular contributors to the forum until as late as possible in the year? Presumably they're more likely to still be around and posting by the time their week rolls around than people who might come to the forum, stay a few weeks or months, then lose interest again?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd just like to add a big thanks to the following:

Everyone who posted a recipe this year
    Everyone who put in the effort & tried those recipes themselves
    And especially to Faith who coordinated the whole shebang

Fair dues to ye all!

Hear hear!

And btw, I'll have a new kitchen in a week with [deepbreath]Rooooooooom[/deepbreath] to move and a place for a barbecue and maybe even to build a proper pizza oven, so put me down for next year :D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Would it be worth considering keeping the regular contributors to the forum until as late as possible in the year? Presumably they're more likely to still be around and posting by the time their week rolls around than people who might come to the forum, stay a few weeks or months, then lose interest again?

That's a good idea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement