Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys UPC offer with €250 voucher

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yes, it's an instore offer only.

Well that's a bit bad, and I didn't even get the boards.ie offer. Didn't know it existed , considering I didn't have any internet. So I missed out on 250€ if I ordered in currys , 50€ if I ordered from here. Ahhh can't belive this, I moved everything over and upgraded too the new box's at 60€ , way to look after old customers .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

I was paying €67.75 a month for 20mb broadband and the basic digital TV (with recorder). Rang up UPC to cancel and got through to the customer loyalty team which reduced my bill to €44.75 a month without any change in service.

€23 a month saving thanks to this thread (or €276 a year!). I was considering re-signing up as a new customer to get the €250 voucher but I'd much sooner save the money every month.

Well worth the 20 minute wait on the phone!

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

UPCs broadband service is quite nice. I had the HD fiber power max package before which i got 15mb bb which was quite nice indeed. It also had 1.5mb upload speed which i very much liked too. Unfortunately their digital tv system is absolutely ****e altogether. It is very unresponsive. It used to take a 1 or 2 to bring up the guide and change a channel or do anything. You can only record 1 thing at a time instead of 2 with sky and also when trying to play stuff from the dvr it used to take a few mins before the pic would show up and you would just have sound.

As said the broadband was quite good but as the tv system was so woeful we had to chnage back to sky and eircom. Would have like to keep the upc bb as it was good. Wouldn't advise anyone that is using sky to get the upc tv as you will not like it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Markjsca1 wrote: »
    I was paying €67.75 a month for 20mb broadband and the basic digital TV (with recorder). Rang up UPC to cancel and got through to the customer loyalty team which reduced my bill to €44.75 a month without any change in service.

€23 a month saving thanks to this thread (or €276 a year!). I was considering re-signing up as a new customer to get the €250 voucher but I'd much sooner save the money every month.

Well worth the 20 minute wait on the phone!
    Same here. Posted this several months ago. Was on 30mb BB / Digital + / disney add on for 71 p/m. Rang and asked for a reduction. 10 mins later a guy asked would I be happy to retain existing package and get a 20 p/m reduction. Bloody sure I was. Now paying 51 p/m for 30mb BB / digital + and disney channel. A steal by any local standard IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Was in PC World today looking for this deal. Was filling out my online form for me and he was about to submit an option that said 10mb broadband rather than the 30mb which I would be charged for. I told him I want it to say 30mb before he submits, he said it's a mistake with the options, I told him I didn't care I only want to submit on what I want i.e. the 30mb option. He couldn't do it so I left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you cancelled your existing UPC package, could you then get this deal as a new customer? I can't see why not.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just one more question. The new place I'm moving to doesnt have a cable box in the sitting room. I presume self installation won't be possible now because an engineer will have to come out and install one? I can easily set up a wifi router and tv box myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

does anyone know how long you would be signing up to upc for? e.g. is it a standard one year contract? i am looking at the terms and conditions and i cant see..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

First of all, thanks to the OP for pointing this out.

I ordered the service last Thursday through Currys in Carrickmines and got it installed on Tuesday. I needed a technician to come because I didn't have the UPC box on the wall.

Here is the package I went for:
    New Customer Triple Play Bundles = Fibre Freedom Ultimate Anytime HD, 85 Euro p/m, Bundle has Digital Max + HD TV, 30mb Broadband, Home Phone Anytime World Call Pack. (Plus Activation fee's)

For Participating UPC Retail Partners Only = 250 euro Voucher - Netbook - Required UPC will call you to confirm if you are eligible
    Note: The €250 voucher takes a few weeks to arrive, so prepare to be patient.

I am moving from Sky HD+ and Vodafone line + 5 mbps.

Initial impressions after 3 days:

The good
    • 30 Mbps Broadband rocks
    • Modem/Router good, though not excellent - it is 100 mbps ethernet and 802.11 G wireless, but good features and so far coverage is as god as my other Netgear router
    • Phone line is very clear and voice mail beats Vodafone

The not so good
    • No Russia TV channel
    • No Nova FM
    • The OSD is rather poor compared to Sky (though not as bad as mentioned in other posts above), but picture image is fine.

Here is a speedtest.net test result: 1121336804.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

^
    So how much else did you have to pay for activation and for a technician to come out?

• Advertisement

^
    So how much else did you have to pay for activation and for a technician to come out?

Self install I think is about €20 per box, but I didn't have that option (no UPC sockets in m home). That is €10 cheaper per box than if it is installed by a technician. There was also some internal wiring to get the second HD box upstairs, so it cost me €110 in total (UPC socket, router and two HD boxes).

Correction: just checked the invoice and the total for the install is €90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

This deal is back on!

http://www.upc.ie/retailoffer/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

On the UPC site its €57 to have 100mb with the phone line. They give install for €20 if ordered online. So if I took advantage of the voucher offer I would pay an extra €40 to install it. I would get a €125 voucher though. Seems a great deal. Can anyone confirm that it would still be €57pm even using the retail offer? Is there a selfinstall option to avoid the €60 install fee?

How do I know if my home had UPC before? Online chat person couldn't give info due to data protection. I have two white plastic units in two rooms. They have what appears to be typical sky style cables. The type that screws into the back of a set-top box. The house also has seperate cables coming in which are attached to a sat dish. This makes me think these white boxes must be UPC, what else could it be.

I live in a UPC area and an address check on their site confirms all services are available at my address.

djrichard wrote: »
    How do I know if my home had UPC before? Online chat person couldn't give info due to data protection. I have two white plastic units in two rooms
    Unless your area is cabled underground, you could have a look to see if there is a cable coming from the UPC junction box on the front of your house, and if that is the cable that is feeding the points inside.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11 davidface

Im thinking about getting the Fibre power essential package for 65 euro p/m, Is there any way i can just do all the installs myself to avoid paying lots of fees. Also does anybody know if any of the selected retailers let you apply for this offer online ?

davidface wrote: »
    Im thinking about getting the Fibre power essential package for 65 euro p/m, Is there any way i can just do all the installs myself to avoid paying lots of fees. Also does anybody know if any of the selected retailers let you apply for this offer online ?

If your house has the UPC/Chorus/NTL box on the wall with the two coaxial plugs, you should be fine for a self-install. As for online ordering, I don't think you can do it with Currys or PCWorld.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

you either apply through the *online application to avail of the voucher or you call customer service and mention "online" application. Either way, installation is free.

*you MUST apply online to avail of the voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

dodzy wrote: »
    you either apply through the *online application to avail of the voucher or you call customer service and mention "online" application. Either way, installation is free.

Wait I thought you had to apply in store to get the voucher?

Has to be done instore, read back through the thread.
    Zynks wrote: »
    If your house has the UPC/Chorus/NTL box on the wall with the two coaxial plugs, you should be fine for a self-install. As for online ordering, I don't think you can do it with Currys or PCWorld.

Correct.
    dodzy wrote: »

Incorrect.
    Jaafa wrote: »
    Wait I thought you had to apply in store to get the voucher?

Correct, must be ordered instore.

Customers who successfully subscribe to and install one of the following UPC Bundles [....] between 4 January 2011 and 2 May 2011 can qualify (subject to availability and terms and conditions).......
    From the OP.

Is the offer finished, or has it been extended? (Sorry this has been stated somewhere in the thread).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    From the OP.

Is the offer finished, or has it been extended? (Sorry this has been stated somewhere in the thread).

Customers who successfully subscribe to and install one of the following UPC Bundles (as set out in point 1(a)) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store (the “Retailer”) between 9 May 2011 and 2 January 2012 can qualify (subject to availability and terms and conditions) for a gift card worth €250 to exchange against a free netbook with a RRP of €250 (model dependent on retailer, details available instore) or to spend against any product available from the Retailer.
    Customers who successfully subscribe to and install one of the following UPC Bundles (as set out in point 1(b)) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys Store (the “Retailer”) between 9 May 2011 and 2 January 2012 can qualify (subject to availability and terms and conditions) for a gift card worth €125 to exchange against a free HD TV with a RRP of €125 (model dependent on retailer, details available instore) or to spend against any product available from the Retailer. To be eligible for this gift card offer you must subscribe to one of the following UPC Bundle Services (or High Definition equivalent versions) in any Carphone Warehouse, D.I.D Electrical, PC World or Currys store; (Not valid with any other retail offers).

Aye 'tis back on 'til Jan 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

Does anyone know if there is any way of reducing the installation charges on this deal and/or get the 2 month half price deal (I know, I want it all!). I signed up for the deal in Curry's and got the call back today and even though I'm doing the self-install, it costs €60, on top of the €90 I'm missing out on from the half price deal (I'm getting the Fibre Power Ultimate with HD, Anytime Calls and Multiroom), which is €150 more than a normal online sign-up.

I know, I'm still €100 better off, but it's not quite the €250 I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,813 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi folks, I'm advising a home owner on changing packages and this is looking like the best deal for them. Here's the situation.

They currently have:
    • UPC basic tv package - just the basic channels, paying 25eur a month or so. No set top box
    • Vodafone phone and broadband - paying approx 47eur a month, free local, national anytime calls with always on broadband and choice of 3 vodafone numbers to call free any time

They want:
    • UPC package including free anytime local and national calls
    • broadband
    • tv

I've been advised in this post that if they cancel their current tv service, that after 30 days, they can sign up as a new customer completely to avail of the full €250 voucher as opposed to the €125 for current tv customers. They are fine with cancelling the tv for 30 days to gain €125.

I need to know:
    • If their tv is cancelled, will they still be able to receive the 4 basic Irish channels, RTE, RTE2, TG4 and TV3?
    • Will the package they want be available to them through the Curry's deal (full package but also including the free anytime local and national calls, which is usually a fiver extra per month, which they have no problem paying, but need to know they will still qualify for the voucher opting to pay the fiver extra deal)
    • does the information in the post I linked to above signify they'll definitely get the full €250 package I wonder?
    • If the deal goes through and they qualify for the €250, paying the package price for basic tv, always on broadband and home phone with free anytime calls (I believe the usual price is €65 per month), will the monthly price still be €65 per month through Curry's?
    • Will they need to pay any extras, I see installation fee is mentioned above but I see you can do a self install also, but would this require technical and electrical knowledge?

Also, any suggestions on what way to go about making up for losing out on the 3 free vodafone numbers? The home owner has one friend in particular that they speak to for maybe 1 hour a week over the phone. This could add up to quite a sum without a good deal.

Any feedback greatly appreciated as they are looking to do this today or tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rocksteadykk

Applied in store...they said it would be sent out after I paid my first bill. Have paid 2 bills since and its been more than 2 months. Hate it when companies blatantly commit false advertising. UPC are saying to deal with PC world and they are saying the opposite.

Advertisement