Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection for a rescued dog - any advice?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've recently been enquiring about adopting a lovely lab from a rescue pound - they said they will do a house check during the week. This worries me - I've never had a house check before.

What do they look for in a house? I live in a terraced house so my house could be a bit bigger. There is a grand sized back garden and behind it, a long amenity walk. We're not dirty people, the house is clean and safe for a dog. I'm not fully confident we'll pass - the agency checked a few other houses previously and those guys failed the inspection ;-S

Any tips or advice guys?:-[

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't sweat it! As long as your garden is fully secure then that's really the main thing. Even if the homechecker thinks it isn't they should just advise you what needs to be done to make it secure and then come back.

Then they'll just talk to you about what the dogs propsed routine will be, training, feeding, where it'll sleep, etc.

It's really nothing to worry about, best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Thanks for the quick reply :-D

The garden walls are secure enough, our previous next door neighbours had two rottweilers who couldn't jump over the wall - they could only put their paws on the wall and show their head.

Any idea why the previous people failed?:-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Try not to worry, its not a house inspection, its a home visit, the rescue just want to make sure that you and your home are suitable for the dog that you've enquired about.

Unfortunately people aren't always truthful, I've had people tell me that they have 6 foot walls, then a homevisit shows that they are 4 foot at the most, hence the need for someone to go and check.

Its all about making sure that everyone, the family and the dog, are right for each other and will be safe. They aren't judging how you live, just that you know what you're undertaking with a dog, and that you're prepared for it.

There are many reasons why previous people may have 'failed' a homevisit, they may have asked about a dog that the rescue felt wasn't right for them, or they may not have had landlord's permission to have a dog, or the garden may not have been secure, lots of reasons. I am surpried though that they told you about previous failures, a sure way to worry somebody.

Best of luck with it all, I hope that you get the dog that you want, and you have a great life together.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The vast majority of people fail home checks because they admit that the dog will spend 10/12 hours alone every day and/or the dog will spend all day in the garden in a cheap (read: cold) kennel.

They primarily want to ensure that the dog will be looked after and won't be returned to the rescue. Dogs that spend all day alone are less likely to get adequate exercise and stimulation and therefore will destroy the place and be returned because they're "out of control".

Obviously they want to ensure that the dog will be warm (whether outside or inside) and secure - i.e. not allowed to escape and wander the streets.

Thank you for the response guys :-) the dog will get plenty of exercise, stay indoors and will be a happy dog. The only unsecure part of my garden is the small hole in the hedge which goes into my other neighbour's garden (which is fenced up at least 6ft high). I could cover it up though :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

From my experience, these folks see so much pain inflicted on animals that as long as you are treating the dog well, providing food and shelter for it, and stimulation etc., then there will be no problem whatsoever. We had a home inspection when we first got our rescue dog 4-5 years ok - once she saw we fulfilled that criteria and that she already had the run of the house at that stage (my dog, not the inspector ;) ), she was practically out the door again within a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah good luck anyways, hope it works out, keep us posted and show some pics when you get the new addition!

Thanks tranceypoo:-) I'll definitely post pictures if I get him. Fingers crossed! The other guys weren't suitable but that doesn't mean we won't be :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Colibri wrote: »
    Thanks tranceypoo:-) I'll definitely post pictures if I get him. Fingers crossed! The other guys weren't suitable but that doesn't mean we won't be :-)

I'd patch up the hole in the hedge before your home visit. What if your new dog doesn't like the neighbours the dogs when he gets in there and they have a row, or what if your neighbours leave their side gate open and your dog goes out? You also don't want your dog pooping in next door's garden and causing aggro with the neighbours. They're the little things a homechecker thinks about. If I were doing the homecheck and there were any weak spots in the fencing I'd be asking you to sort it out first and then I'll come back and check again before you take the dog. Better to save the person two trips! :)

I'm never too concerned about the size of the garden, so long as the dog is going to be an indoor dog, gets plenty of attention and most importantly, walks. Unless you're out there playing with the dog, the back garden's just an outdoor kennel and place to pee and poop. :D Even if you have endless space, they won't make full use of it really unless you're out there doing stuff with them. :p

You're very good to consider a rescue dog. Hope it all works out for you, all the best! :)

I'm not making excuses as I will definitely patch it up but my neighbour definitely wouldn't mind, sound guy (he is never there anyway). He doesn't have a gate either, it's a very secure garden. I'm cleaning and patching things up now outside so not to worry :-) he'll get plenty of exercise too don't worry.

now I'm worried about the size of the house :-O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah best of luck op, really the HC is more to do with meeting you and your family and checking the garden is secure.

Some reasons for failed HC's I've done are
    • dog will be alone for over 8 hours a day
    • dog will sleep in a kennel out the back with no door, no facility for heating it when the weather gets cold and it wasn't raised from the ground
    • when asked if they could forsee any reason for returning the dog, they replied if he got too big or was too difficult to train
    • the man and woman started fighting over the type of dog, he wanted a staffy, she wanted a "handbag" dog. He said he wanted a dog that wouldn't make him "look gay", she said "well I won't be walking the f*****g thing then" :eek:
    • A mother wouldn't answer where her other dog had gone in front of the kids. When pressed the father had brought it "somewhere" because it was barking all the time.
    • A family whose last 4 dogs had escaped and were killed on the road.
    • One of the standard questions I asked was "is everyone in your home happy to get a dog" mother replied oh yes, 4 year old kid said "noooo mammy, daddy said you couldn't have a dog". :D
    I hope you feel more confident now! The one home I remember still as being a perfect home was a house close to my own, I walked in and it was so warm, there were 2 young kids arguing over the remote in the sittingroom, there was another kid "making cakes" in the kitchen, the mother was friendly and just lovely. The house was in an uproar, but it was friendly, happy and just warm. The HC is about meeting you and making sure you know what you are letting yourself in for and mking sure every member of your family is happy with the idea of getting a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Sorry to go slightly off topic but do the same rules apply when taking in foster dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Pretty much Vai yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They do for most rescues, Vai. My own rule of thumb is that I wouldn't ask someone to foster if their set up wasn't suitable should they decide to adopt permanently. Because quite often fosterers get very attached and end up wanting to keep the dog. It's not fair to give someone the message that they're good enough to foster, but can't keep the dog if they want to!

Plus a foster home should be as secure as a permanent home, for the dog's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I can imagine wanting to keep any dog that comes thru the front door alright. Myself and my girlfriend just applied to foster so we're waiting on the inspection. Have 2 happy submissive dogs and a secure back garden so cant imagine them finding any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

That's fantastic info, we applied on Saturday to adopt a little brother for Sindy, so this thread just answered most of my questions :-)

I'm feeling much more confident now. Thanks all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I don't know how other rescues do it but I have a Home Visit Questionnaire which the home visitor will go through and fill in with you. It covers things such as how long will the dog be alone, how many people in the household, other animals, who is your vet, crate training, feeding etc pp. It is very informal and no one will look in your cupboards or under your couch. It is more to get a feeling how the dog will live with you, where he will sleep. Also, do you have permission from the landlord, if the house is rented. Just stuff like that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi, i had one before and because i was at work during the day they would not give me the dog! also i think they insist that the dog sleeps in! good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some rescues insist the dog sleeps in, others might allow an outdoor sleeping dog if the facility is there to comfortably house them outside and you let them know you have no intention of confining the dog outside all day too.

Most rescues will (rightly) not allow a young pup go to a home where he will be sleeping outside.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Any day now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Keep us updated, hope everything goes ok. I adopted from DID last year, home visit was lovely, she was just in my hall and kitchen then back yard. You get a vibe from them how things are going and you can just ask before they leave what they honestly think. They have a questionaire they do out with you and meet the rest of your household.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Come back if you get any problems as some here may be able to help.

We had our house inspection last night and I think it went well. So fingers crossed we'll get approved :-)

Hi guys we've been approved to adopt Fargo. We're going to meet him on Saturday and can't wait.
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6963&sid=014e6f3e213e8428398896980e284454
    A new little companion for Sindy and a new little ball of energy for us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Hi guys we've been approved to adopt Fargo. We're going to meet him on Saturday and can't wait.
    http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6963&sid=014e6f3e213e8428398896980e284454
    well done. he looks so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aw he is absolutely gorgeous. Cant wait to see new pics when you have him home :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah best of luck op, really the HC is more to do with meeting you and your family and checking the garden is secure.

Some reasons for failed HC's I've done are
    • dog will be alone for over 8 hours a day
    • dog will sleep in a kennel out the back with no door, no facility for heating it when the weather gets cold and it wasn't raised from the ground
    • when asked if they could forsee any reason for returning the dog, they replied if he got too big or was too difficult to train
    • the man and woman started fighting over the type of dog, he wanted a staffy, she wanted a "handbag" dog. He said he wanted a dog that wouldn't make him "look gay", she said "well I won't be walking the f*****g thing then" :eek:
    • A mother wouldn't answer where her other dog had gone in front of the kids. When pressed the father had brought it "somewhere" because it was barking all the time.
    • A family whose last 4 dogs had escaped and were killed on the road.
    • One of the standard questions I asked was "is everyone in your home happy to get a dog" mother replied oh yes, 4 year old kid said "noooo mammy, daddy said you couldn't have a dog". :D
    I hope you feel more confident now! The one home I remember still as being a perfect home was a house close to my own, I walked in and it was so warm, there were 2 young kids arguing over the remote in the sittingroom, there was another kid "making cakes" in the kitchen, the mother was friendly and just lovely. The house was in an uproar, but it was friendly, happy and just warm. The HC is about meeting you and making sure you know what you are letting yourself in for and mking sure every member of your family is happy with the idea of getting a dog.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say !
    Having done loads of homechecks I am more interested in the people and the family aside from the secure garden etc.
    Failed a few for the previous dog having been gotten shot of when the mrs became preggers , or the dog got " too big "
    It's not about the house - it's really only when you sit down for a chat and run through your questionnaire that the mad stuff comes out.

Worst one I had - home check went ok - just as I was leaving they asked me could I recommend a vet to dock the dogs tail. It was a 5 year old jrt !
    No reasoning with them at all on the stupidity of that one.

I'm not adverse to dogs sleeping in a nice heated kennell at night-time if necessary but 100% against this if the dog is not allowed into the house all day if someone is home - and against this if the potential owners are working during the day.
    I see little point in obtaining a dog under those guises.

Well done :-D

congratulations about the new dog, good luck with Fargo! Fantastic :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Oh, I am dying from the cuteness! How adorable. I wish you many happy and healthy years together. Yes, you definitely need to post pictures when he arrives!

Advertisement