Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography, too much effort for nothing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

irish_man wrote: »
    I think its really hard. All the learning off for nothing. How can 15 srps on isotacy help you in your future profession?? Its boring, tedious and repetitive!! I really regret doing it. They really need to revise the syllabus.
    I might sound a tad radical but should geography even be a subject after junior cert? And if so it should be modernised with less of an emphasis on physical and more on the human. Who needs to know about meanders and such but learning about the culture of the Chinese or other countries might lead to less racism and a decline in general xenophobia. Just a thought. Anyone else think the same??

Physical is by far the easiest part of Geography. Why should anything be a subject after the junior by your logic? I want to go into a Business course after the leaving, what relevance does Biology, Chemistry or Geography hold in Business none? The "it wont apply to me in the future" logic is incredibly stupid when it comes to the Leaving, change the LC format in general, then change the subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

If you study everything else for physical geography is it safe enough to leave rocks out??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

F1f1 wrote: »
    If you study everything else for physical geography is it safe enough to leave rocks out??

Odds are you won't be asked on rocks in all three questions - but the formation of sedimentary/igneous rocks is a pretty popular Q, and it's not too difficult to learn. You'd probably be okay but for the sake of learning those answers.. You don't want to be caught with an awkward question because you left them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Just get on with it and stop making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

A little hint for anyone doing geography who is running into trouble with time keeping.

This happened to me last June, only had 5 minutes to complete a question. One of the shorter long ones, if you understand me. It was about Metamorphic rocks. Anyhow I left this question till last 'cos I wasn't that fond of it and I decided I would come back to it at the end.

So anyhow I had around 5 minutes to complete the question, hardly enough time? But since the marking scheme is all about SRP's these days, I simply wrote as many short bullet points I could remember on the rocks. Very simple yet effective. Although I doubt I got full marks on the question, but I am pretty sure it got me 75% of the marks for the question in around a quarter of the time allotted.

I got an A2, if anyone is interested.

As said countless times, the Practical write is up important. Think about it this way. How many hours do you spend studying for the real thing? So take your time with the write up and try to get it perfect, get your graphs neater, get your pictures and diagrams flawless. An extra hour on it can go a long way.

Practice Practice Practice the last question. 25% of the marks go for coherency. English will come into play a lot in Geography and how you are able to tie all your answers together etc.

If anyone has any questions, PM me, I'd be happy to help.

Double GG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bugz24

Don't forget FEED for the Physical Geography. I am a NQT Geography teacher so wont preach about SRP's to those of you in the middle of exams but I will say it is a much easier course than it was 7 years ago especially in terms of the fieldwork being handed in before exam.

Follow your teachers instructions is the best advice I as a teacher but more so as someone who did the old Leaving Certificate course which in fairness was more difficult than the new course!!
    9 times out of 10 the teachers themselves correct mock and state papers and are very clear on what gets you the marks and what doesn't.

Concise and Clear is what they want even if it means you use a crazy amount of booklets.:)

makes everything easier to identify and read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I loved geo, got an A1, my biggest difficulty was getting all I knew written down in the time allowed!

Advertisement