Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direlict building on Sarsfield Street

Options
  • 09-01-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I am intrigued about Dunnes Stores there, that manky ould building....

I asked me ma & da about it, they remember that being a tobacco place...

So tell me boardsies, what is it exactly about that place that earned the rep as to being "haunted"? :confused:

Sightings/Noises anyone? :rolleyes:

Are the demolishing business not going to rip up that place and have something smart and shiny in place of that skanky manky building.... or are they scared sh!tless of the reputation and don't want bad luck to rub on them????? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

t0mm13b wrote: »

So tell me boardsies, what is it exactly about that place that earned the rep as to being "haunted"? :confused:

Can't say I know "exactly" but there's seemingly a haunted room in the building that they used always keep locked. Children used to start crying near it and workers refused to go in there etc.

I can't see it being knocked tbh, not at the minute. Would great if some other use could be found for it, even as short term exhibition space for local artists etc. Could easily open the upper floor and keep downstairs sealed (and all that dwells down, deep down, there).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Can't say I know "exactly" but there's seemingly a haunted room in the building that they used always keep locked. Children used to start crying near it and workers refused to go in there etc.

What was that area of the building used to be I wonder, retrospectively - a murder that was once the old tobacco building...
    I can't see it being knocked tbh, not at the minute. Would great if some other use could be found for it, even as short term exhibition space for local artists etc. Could easily open the upper floor and keep downstairs sealed (and all that dwells down, deep down, there).

Enlighten us on that one that "dwells down, deep down, there" :eek:

... I like the way you say that.... you could make a great shenanigan there...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What building is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Funkstard wrote: »
    What building is it?

Uhhhh :pac:

The building that was once Dunnes Stores off the bridge on Sarsfield Street, the empty vacant manky building.....

You'd know it, if you're a regular on this thread + living in Limerick city.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Uhhhh :pac:

The building that was once Dunnes Stores off the bridge on Sarsfield Street, the empty vacant manky building.....

You'd know it, if you're a regular on this thread + living in Limerick city.... :p

Ha, I'm only a blow in so I have some excuse! Just checked it on streetview there, it doesn't seem to be an old building which is why I originally asked - thought I was missing some decrepid old pile on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Never knew that building was haunted to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah first I have heard of it being haunted

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Would love to hear what Stab*City heard from that security guard that used to work there!

Also not related to Limerick but still scary. A friend of mine used to live in the apartments beside Kilmainham and where they built the apartments used to be part of the jail and she woke up one night and there was a strange figure at the end of her bed with what looked to be a collar on. Her housemate also reported seeing a man figure with red eyes. They never harmed them in any way though. I wouldnt stay there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would love to hear what Stab*City heard from that security guard that used to work there!

Also not related to Limerick but still scary. A friend of mine used to live in the apartments beside Kilmainham and where they built the apartments used to be part of the jail and she woke up one night and there was a strange figure at the end of her bed with what looked to be a collar on. Her housemate also reported seeing a man figure with red eyes. They never harmed them in any way though. I wouldnt stay there

Did somebody call me? Ya one of my good friends was the security guy on the graveyard shift there for a few years. I cant remember now exactly the stories he told me but ill ask him for a recap. He says its defo haunted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

we used to always ask my parents why people would say it was haunted.

my mam says people bought sheets and the sheets would cry!
    my dad would say someone was hung there or it was haunted by a nun!

i'm intrigued by the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Never knew Dunnes was haunted! was allways in there before it closed! im mad to find out some stories! will have to ask everyone i know haha

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

i'd love to know what and where the locked room was!!! WOOOOO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

i'd love to know what and where the locked room was!!!
    I vaguely remember a locked room, dunno if it was the locked room, think it was near the steps you go down the the grocery (you know the side door near the bus stop?) and there was a big chain on it? Probably wrong though
    Betcha the ghosts made the coleslaw in Harrys, it's just that unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Sera wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a locked room, dunno if it was the locked room, think it was near the steps you go down the the grocery (you know the side door near the bus stop?) and there was a big chain on it? Probably wrong though

Oh I used to love Harrys! Best toastie in all of Limerick imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lol haunted - grow up guys, seriously.

The Art College is meant to be haunted too. My mom told me about the top corridor, people used to hear footsteps and when they looked there would be nobody there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mc Love wrote: »
    The Art College is meant to be haunted too. My mom told me about the top corridor, people used to hear footsteps and when they looked there would be nobody there.

Followed by "Here have another tug of this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There were plenty of haunty ones in the old dunnes anyways, if that's what you mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

from what i remember there was at least 2 single wooden doors, and i think a doubledoor into some stock area. One of the single doors was a toilet (insert 10p thank you) while other one was a tiny office the size of a toilet (seen the door open a few times).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

phill106 wrote:
    One of the single doors was a toilet (insert 10p thank you)
    I told the cleaner when I was like 6 to do her job and put a bit of bleach in those toilets.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Lol haunted - grow up guys, seriously.
    That's the kinda person who gets killed first in the movies to teach the rest of us a lesson :eek:
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I told the cleaner when I was like 6 to do her job and put a bit of bleach in those toilets.
    That's the kinda person who gets killed first in the movies to teach the rest of us a lesson :eek:
    lol

No, its the token black guy that gets killed first, the non believers survive to the end to be changed by the experience:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

True token black guy goes first then everyone else hides up stairs where nobody will ever find them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

As far as I know there's never been any real reason for anyone to say that building was haunted; just the usual 'hey look at the old manky building, must be haunted' sort of thing.

GodlessM wrote: »
    As far as I know there's never been any real reason for anyone to say that building was haunted; just the usual 'hey look at the old manky building, must be haunted' sort of thing.

Nah, I was told it was haunted way before it was derelict. It was always an ugly building but not every ugly building is said to be haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Nah, I was told it was haunted way before it was derelict. It was always an ugly building but not every ugly building is said to be haunted.

Actually weak at this. Never knew anything of it being haunted tbh. It is a part of the city that could do with development. If they were to Build on top of that park beside arthurs quay then this place would be a fine spot for a new one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I thought it was the virgins that got killed first!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Someone needs to go and rent the original scream.

Thought it was the slut? Or the girl who loses her virginity at the very start of the film? So many rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We should all meet up and watch the Scream trilogy before they release the next instalment this year. Then we'd all know the rules!

Advertisement