Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Irish Rail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Ah it's easy boys - clear Fearn and his cronies out, right down to the middle management who haven't challenged the current working methods. Bring the Union guys on board to understand the vital work needed to make Irish Rail a viable option for an economy that must make every cent they outlay work. Only with the Unions accepting that change has GOT to happen, and the status quo cannot continue, will the front line staff start to understand and accept that the golden days are over.

To every one left in company - fair days pay for a fair days work. Shape up or ship out.

Overall - Introduce the word efficiency to this most outdated agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

merengueca wrote: »
    Ah it's easy boys - clear Fearn and his cronies out, right down to the middle management who haven't challenged the current working methods. Bring the Union guys on board to understand the vital work needed to make Irish Rail a viable option for an economy that must make every cent they outlay work. Only with the Unions accepting that change has GOT to happen, and the status quo cannot continue, will the front line staff start to understand and accept that the golden days are over.

To every one left in company - fair days pay for a fair days work. Shape up or ship out.

Overall - Introduce the word efficiency to this most outdated agency.

Separate the infrastructure from services and that will eliminate the excuses from your proposal. This is required under EU legislation. Let IE run like Violia run the luas and we'll see the truth. Only then can we talk about "efficiency" without bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

A man is sitting in the bar of a hotel in Killarney where the Irish passenger transport industry's annual Customer Service conference is taking place.

A beautiful woman walks in and sits down at the table next to him. He decides that, because she's in the bar, she's probably an off-duty transport industry Customer Service agent. So he decides to have a go at picking her up by identifying the company she works for, thereby impressing her greatly.

He leans across to her and says the Stena line motto 'Making good time'.

The woman looks at him blankly. He sits back and thinks up another line.

He leans forward again and delivers the Citylink Coaches motto 'It's better all round'.

Again she just stares at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face. Undeterred, he tries again, this time saying the Aircoach motto "Travel in luxury".

The woman looks at him sternly and says 'What the f*** do you want?'

'Ah!' he says, sitting back with a smile on his face........

'Iarnrod Eireann'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

A man is sitting in the bar of a hotel in Killarney where the Irish passenger transport industry's annual Customer Service conference is taking place.

A beautiful woman walks in and sits down at the table next to him. He decides that, because she's in the bar, she's probably an off-duty transport industry Customer Service agent. So he decides to have a go at picking her up by identifying the company she works for, thereby impressing her greatly.

He leans across to her and says the Stena line motto 'Making good time'.

The woman looks at him blankly. He sits back and thinks up another line.

He leans forward again and delivers the Citylink Coaches motto 'It's better all round'.

Again she just stares at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face. Undeterred, he tries again, this time saying the Aircoach motto "Travel in luxury".

The woman looks at him sternly and says 'What the f*** do you want?'

'Ah!' he says, sitting back with a smile on his face........

'Iarnrod Eireann'.

First class. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Yes, I can see the task of bringing the CIE unions to book by the future Labour Minister for Transport being number one on the adgenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Yes, I can see the task of bringing the CIE unions to book by the future Labour Minister for Transport being number one on the adgenda.

Tbh I can't see any government bringing Unions to book let alone those in Transport sector. Of course with the major improvement in Motorways and the presence of independent bus operators a strike in CIÉ (both IÉ and Bus Éireann) would end up with a very different result then say during the early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

dubhthach wrote: »
    Tbh I can't see any government bringing Unions to book let alone those in Transport sector. Of course with the major improvement in Motorways and the presence of independent bus operators a strike in CIÉ (both IÉ and Bus Éireann) would end up with a very different result then say during the early 80's.

its only a couple of years since they had a go with the Mark4 fleet introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Let them ****ing strike. With the motorways complete (well, almost...) and passenger numbers continuing to fall as people rediscover the pleasure of driving, its either they change or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

I really don't think IE has a future. It seems incapable of cutural change both at union and management level, much worse than say Dublin Bus and Aer Lingus, for example. I presume we will eventually end up with a (hopefully State-controleld) infrastructure company and inter-city, regional and Dublin commuter services franchised out under a single transport authority. But it could be a painful path to get there and I suspect IE will have to be killed off in the process rather than evolve into said network maintainer or a service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

xper wrote: »

I really don't think IE has a future. It seems incapable of cutural change both at union and management level, much worse than say Dublin Bus and Aer Lingus, for example. I presume we will eventually end up with a (hopefully State-controleld) infrastructure company and inter-city, regional and Dublin commuter services franchised out under a single transport authority. But it could be a painful path to get there and I suspect IE will have to be killed off in the process rather than evolve into said network maintainer or a service provider.

Aer Lingus is a model of efficiency compared to IE. It is a model of efficiency even compared with most other national / former national airlines. It has to be to compete with the world's most efficient airline that has a home base here...

So it does prove that any company is not beyond dragging into the real world as happened at Aer Lingus. It just takes competition...

• Advertisement
Advertisement