Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you spend much on food?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I spend too much buying food at the canteen for lunch really, and coffees, I think at least 20 a week
    other than that, food for the month is usually maybe 200 for the pair of us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I stopped buying food in college this year, in previous years have been going through fierce amounts of cash.

Money got a lot tighter + trying to run car meant that the aul cheese sambos had to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nope. I dine nightly at Chez Dumpster and the prices are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Your lucky you have a job. You should have your head bowed & apologise for making such a boastful revelation.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah no, I can get a loaf of bread for the same amount it costs for one sandwich at work

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Ah come on it's still much cheaper over say a week to make your lunch than to buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think I spend about 80 a week on food, make most of my own lunches, just eat a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

"Save money by making a sandwich out of whatever falls off your body.

I saved €2,000 on sandwich fillings last year by eating hard skin and toenail clippings in between two slices of bread each day.

Ground up cardboard really adds to the crunch of a pubic hair salad.
    "

-John Tightarse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

I spend about 800-1000 euro on food per month. Average salary here is about €300 per month.
    I eat out a lot, but when I cook at home I use only the best ingredients and high quality meats etc. €20 per person worth of meat in a home-cooked meal would not be unusual.

Probably another €600 per month on drinks, about 15-20% of my income goes on food and drink. I think thats a good % to aim for.

I spend about 800-1000 euro on food per month. Average salary here is about €300 per month.
    I eat out a lot, but when I cook at home I use only the best ingredients and high quality meats etc. €20 per person worth of meat in a home-cooked meal would not be unusual.

Probably another €600 per month on drinks, about 15-20% of my income goes on food and drink. I think thats a good % to aim for.

Er is that a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Oooh about €25-€30 a week, I'm a fat bastid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

bluewolf wrote: »
    Er is that a typo?
    Nope I live in Ecuador although I do travel to other countries(far east mostly) on occasion with work, although those numbers would be similar for all the places I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People wouldn't need to spend as much on food if they ate all they bought instead of throwing a lot of it away.

http://www.epa.ie/news/pr/2010/name,30454,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Do you ever get a tingle feeling in your big toe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nope I live in Ecuador although I do travel to other countries(far east mostly) on occasion with work, although those numbers would be similar for all the places I work.

You're only just in the South Pacific, I thought you must be the King of Tonga or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Spend a fair bit each week. The below always feature on my list which come to about the 65 mark depending on special offers etc. I don't eat sweets or drink fizzy drinks or crisps or even processed food so i never really have any hidden costs. Don't eat bread or milk currently either.

25 chicken fillets
    2 kg's of turkey mince
    30-40 eggs
    Porridge
    Mixture of natural nuts
    Loads of vegetables and fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I have stayed in Cuenca a fair bit for work and there is not a chance in hell i would spend 1000 euro in a month there. And i would eat out regularly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jennieflower

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Oooh about €25-€30 a week, I'm a fat bastid...

Who ate all the pies? you fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies! lol

I've a sexay bodaaaayyyyy, I love my babyback ribs!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I very rarely eat sweet things, don't drink alcohol or fizzy drinks and prepare my own food and work lunches. I don't go out to eat (hate being rushed to eat my food) and takeaway is just crap for you in general. I spend about $30-40 a week at Aldi and that is for a lot of good stuff, nice produce section there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I live alone, cook most of my own meals and bring food into work, and I spend a minimum of 50 euro a week. I don't drink so that doesn't include any alcohol.

A two litre carton of fresh juice costs about 3 euro alone, fresh fruit and vegetables another 6 ish euro, milk and cereal maybe another 5...how on earth can you survive on 15 euro? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Giselle wrote: »
    I live alone, cook most of my own meals and bring food into work, and I spend a minimum of 50 euro a week. I don't drink so that doesn't include any alcohol.

A two litre carton of fresh juice costs about 3 euro alone, fresh fruit and vegetables another 6 ish euro, milk and cereal maybe another 5...how on earth can you survive on 15 euro? Genuine question.

I think he meant 15 euro a day.

I'd probably spend about spend about 45 - 60 euro a week on food but about 15 - 20 of that would be lunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

About 30 euro a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I make my own lunches for work ,I find I get more done in the day if I'm not wondering around shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've eaten far too much money this year :(
    Eating out so much and not just sticking to a proper grocery shop once a week, end up in tescos every other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

What? I can feed myself 3 meals a day with good, decent food for €35 to €40 a week.

Advertisement