Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese pay toxic price for a green world

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MalteseBarry

djpbarry wrote: »
    But at present, I'm drawing electricity from the national grid. If I install a wind turbine, I will draw less electricity from the grid - I never said anything about becoming totally reliant on the turbine.

So the national grid is your backup. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

So the national grid is your backup. Fair enough.
    You're missing the point. If I build myself a wind turbine, I don't need to build a "back-up" generator alongside and factor in the associated expense into a cost-benefit analysis - the "back-up" already exists. The only costs I need to consider are the cost of installing the turbine versus the likely cost of electricity on the national grid over the turbine's lifetime - there are no other "hidden" costs that I am omitting from my (admittedly slightly simplified) analysis.

djpbarry wrote: »
    You're missing the point. If I build myself a wind turbine, I don't need to build a "back-up" generator alongside and factor in the associated expense into a cost-benefit analysis - the "back-up" already exists. The only costs I need to consider are the cost of installing the turbine versus the likely cost of electricity on the national grid over the turbine's lifetime - there are no other "hidden" costs that I am omitting from my (admittedly slightly simplified) analysis.

I agree. there is no need to "build" a back up generator, as it already exists from the national grid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

If you install a wind turbine you draw less power from the national grid

If you switch off a few lights you draw less power from the national grid

The grid sees no difference between the two above. It is completely oblivious to if someone switched off an electric heater or if a wind turbine kicked in.

If you draw less power from the national grid less fuel is burnt.

If for some reason the power stations on the national grid decide to keep burning the same amount of fuel regardless of the load the frequency and voltage of the mains will increase and this will cause problems if it goes too high.

To say there is no point in installing a wind turbine because it wont make a difference is to say you might as well leave all the lights on and everything else because it won't make a difference

If for some reason the power stations on the national grid decide to keep burning the same amount of fuel regardless of the load the frequency and voltage of the mains will increase and this will cause problems if it goes too high.

Rather like your statement elsewhere that oil burners are all kerosene, (not true), this statement shows such a lack of understanding of how a modern electricity provider works, that i can only assume you believe it to be true, and are in the habit of stating things as facts because you believe them, rather than on facts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement