Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker - Half Price at Argos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Additional Information

* Please note item 4236045 has previously been on sale at €17.99.

So, not quite sure what to make of that, error or just dodgy pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭istabrac77

not to be pedantic but that is not half price but still a good find.

Too much junk in my kitchen already though to buy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Ouch! Sure am glad I didn't pay the €44.95 then

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dooferoaks wrote: »
    So, not quite sure what to make of that, error or just dodgy pricing?
    According to HUKD, it was available for £11.99 in Argos last week.

So that would have been €17.99 in Argos's skewed conversion alright.

istabrac77 wrote: »

Too much junk in my kitchen already though to buy this.

Sorry, its actually €22.49, so half price, and €2 cheaper than I originally posted

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But is it a bargain? How much does this cost when Lidl/Aldi sells it?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

I picked this up in Argos for around 24 quid a few months back, so that price seems to be static, but all I can tell you is it's one of the best investments I've made! Most slow cookers around this price (Tesco, etc) only have a 2.5 or 3 litre capacity which is hardly worth your while. This holds a massive 6.5 litres, so I make, say, a beef and Guinness casserole/stew/whatever on a Sunday and get a couple of dinners that day and lunch for a couple of days when I want it (just freeze 'em!). Plus, you don't have to be Jamie Oliver to do this.... just buy whatever ingredients you want and bung 'em in for a few hours. Hey presto! (damn.... I'm hungry now).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

istabrac77 wrote: »

Be pedantic all you want. Don't act the langer though.

0.5c out on it being half price.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MrMcLegend

the prices are constantly changing in argos from month to month and there is a new catalogue this month thats why the prices vary!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Soarer wrote: »
    Be pedantic all you want. Don't act the langer though.

0.5c out on it being half price.:rolleyes:
    The OP actually misquoted the price as being €24.49.. so that's what istabrac77 was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked this up about a week ago in Argos for 17.99. It's fantastic !!
    I put the stew on at 6pm New Years eve and it was ready for 4am when we got back to the house :D
    It's huge 6 liters I think and is so easy to use. It'll be a weekly thing in the house now. MMMMM Goulash.

Well I held off, thinking it might be reduced again.

It paid off. Today I got one for €14.99.

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I got one at the 20+ pice but still a bargain. Did a stew on the weekend and the meat was really tender. Its a must have for single guys :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

biebiebie wrote: »
    Was €44.99, now €22.49

I've heard lots of praise recently for slow cookers. This one gets great reviews and looks a bargain at half price. Worth a try IMHO. Ordered one already!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236045/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

Thanks OP. looks like a great buy - hoping it peels & chops the veg as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thanks Op just reserved one there for 14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

gambiaman wrote: »
    Thanks Op just reserved one there for 14.99
    also just reserved for €14.99, that's some bargain!

i was looking at that same one in currys for over €40 a few months ago, but the wife persuaded me to hold off and i'm glad i did now. :)

might even get one for the mother in law too. :)

oh, and don't forget to hit the thanks button on the OP's post if you're getting one, that's what its there for. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can this be used to cook anything you'd cook in a saucepan? like.. rice or potatoes and stuff?

reserved a 3.5ltr one for 19 euro, the 6.2 seems like it'd be way too big for 1 person even if it'd be nearly a fiver cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Only seen this now, planning on picking one up this afternoon. Seems the idea way to get more fresh veg into me, usually too lazy/rushed to spend time preparing it, so if it's done with the meat happy days. Might be a bit big for one but I eat alot so reckon there won't be much waste! Cheers, biebiebie.

can this be used to cook anything you'd cook in a saucepan? like.. rice or potatoes and stuff?
    slow cooking is a handy way of putting stuff on to cook before you leave for work in the morning and having it perfectly cooked by the time you get home. :)

any one pot dish will work well in a slow cooker and food will generally come out tender and juicy without being overcooked due to the long slow cooking process.

its especially useful for cooking cheaper cuts of meat which are not normally tender as the long & low method gives the chewy fibres that would otherwise cause the meat to be tough, to break down properly making it much more tender.

TBH I wouldn't know about spuds or rice as i've never tried, but i've been told that you can cook rice in a thermos flask simply by putting in your rice portions and boiling water and sealing it and leaving it to cook out for 4-5 hours. i've not actually tried that though myself so you might want to confirm it before risking a dinner on it. ;)

just picked mine up (the 6.5L one) at lunchtime from the blanchardstown west argos extra for €14.99. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

These were coming up as sold out in the Omni Santry on the Argos website, but I was passing and popped in. There's still a good few left (minus the two I took) they're on the floor display so I wouldn't expect them to last long.Seriously good price for what looks and feels like a quality item.Cous Cous Royale and Tagines all the way chez mute for the next while. Can't wait to get bubbling.

if you're stuck for ideas, or just want to see wha types of food you can cook in a slow cooker, check out http://www.slowandsimple.com

it's a US site so measurements are usually in lb/oz and 'cups' but google will tell you how big a cup is if you don't have a jug with US cup measurements on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

reserved a 3.5ltr one for 19 euro, the 6.2 seems like it'd be way too big for 1 person even if it'd be nearly a fiver cheaper

Yeah, around 3 litres sounds more useful to me.

There's a more expensive on sale too, I was thinking of getting that.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236698/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/c_2/3|23716472|Small+kitchen+appliances|14418587/c_3/4|cat_14418587|Slow+cookers+and+ovens|14418592.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you're stuck for ideas, or just want to see wha types of food you can cook in a slow cooker, check out http://www.slowandsimple.com

it's a US site so measurements are usually in lb/oz and 'cups' but google will tell you how big a cup is if you don't have a jug with US cup measurements on it.

Thanks for that, just going to ask if anyone had some good receipes....happy days, back to work now, so will be handy to be able to pop on the dinner in the morning & then the kids can help themselves as they come in.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If it is not too late, go with the bigger one.

The benefits of a slow cooker are that you can prepare a large amount of food with maximum convenience for minimum cost.

I have found that the 6.5 litre cooker I have is perfect for making a couple of days worth of soup or stew.

Not to sound too cheap, but I made a split pea and ham soup (with a ham hock from the butcher for €1.50) for about €6.00 worth of ingredients that lasted us 3 days.

Just do not use the slow cooker to reheat - do that in the microwave.

As well as being able to use cheap ingredients there are actually savings to be made in reduced electricity.

The typical slow cooker will use about 200 watts per hour on high setting. Thats just 1.6 kWh of electricity for an 8 hour cooking time. Using an oven or even the ring on an electric cooker will use several times that amount in electricity.

Keep the recipes varied - millions on line - and you will find it a very useful kitchen appliance that couldn't be easier to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

on the UK website they have 3.5 L one at £7.99 :mad: Not fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes you can cook pretty much anything in a slow cooker, it just takes much longer.

Little tip for people with a slow cooker, you can get a timer plug in tesco that you set on/off (like an oil switch on the heating) and you can then make sure that if you happen to be late home nothing will be overcooked or burnt (although its pretty hard to burn stuff in a slow cooker anyways).

another good tip is to pre-prepare all your veg etc. (minus any meat) the night before and put it in the removable (normally ceramic) pot with the lid on which you can then leave in the fridge overnight and then in the morning it's just a 2 minute job to drop it into the cooker, add your meat, stir and turn it on and you're all set for when you get home. :)

well we are a bit tight for space in the kitchen presses and counters as it is, so while the 6.5 might save money for me.. it will likely drive my flatmates spare when there's nowhere to put it. Still, if I get good use out of the 3.5ltr one I will most likely upgrade to a larger one at some stage and start preparing meals in advance.

I found a nice recipe for bbq chicken stuff online, might nip into tesco and buy some reggae reggae sauce and tabasco/pepper sauce instead of the bbq and try it out.

might pick up one of those timers too if it becomes neccesary, but i'd say I'll be home in time most nights.. or awake in time for my slow cooked porridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, went with the bigger & cheaper one then.

BTW, just one left in stock in the two Blanch SC stores.

Advertisement