Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New White Elephants on the M4

Options
  • 05-01-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this issue has been covered but i wondered have any motorists used or experienced these new space age service stations on the M4.

I have experienced them twice in the past month, one on each side and what a complete shambles. Fair enough both occasions were around 10.30pm on Journeys to the airport. From a distance they look appealing with lots of services on offer, this is of course until you drive up to the forecourts.

Accepting its late enough with some service limitations i had not expected ZERO service. Myself and other drivers were left bemused by what can only be described as abandonment. Going from Pump to pump with nothing happening, i along with other customers ventured up to the Kiosk (Shops and all other services closed up? WTF 10pm i thought. We were greeted by what could best be described as a donkey behind the glass who decided to inform us it was pre pay, this news would of course be helpful if it was signposted or if this Donkey could have informed customers over a loudspeaker or something, I for one tried our pumps before giving up.

I decided to ask for some additional items, all of which were not in stock. I began to wonder what the **** was the purpose of these motorway stations. Jesus even the burger king, shops, car wash and other various services were all locked up. For anyone who has not yet seen these stations they are enormous. (One reason these stations were permitted to be built was to offer motorists service area's)

I learned over the Christmas there was major protests at these filling stations by sub contractors who built these stations and were not paid, indeed some tried to remove fixtures and fittings and since then one of the main shareholders of this enterprise has gone into liquidation.

So apart from the appalling service and horrendous fuel prices i now avoid these places like the plague. I rarely see anyone using them.

I guess the question is

Are these more Celtic tiger white elephants!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

What is your experience of the new M4 Motorway Service Stations 27 votes

Good
    0% 0 votes
    Bad
    74% 20 votes
    Neutral
    7% 2 votes
    I haven't use them
    18% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's too bad you didn't have an "in between" option.

The couple of times I've used the service stations, they usually been acceptable. The first time (not long after it opened) the Burger King was out of action because of a power failure to their grills. Fair enough, it was new at the time and these things happen.

But I noticed that their "BK Time" is 11AM-11PM - hardly suitable for a Motorway rest area, and I found the level of services available at night to be somewhat unsatisfactory.

These days though I normally dodge the toll and get fuel in Enfield town if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Its spelled Good not Goood:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

SeanW wrote: »
    It's too bad you didn't have an "in between" option.

The couple of times I've used the service stations, they usually been acceptable. The first time (not long after it opened) the Burger King was out of action because of a power failure to their grills. Fair enough, it was new at the time and these things happen.

But I noticed that their "BK Time" is 11AM-11PM - hardly suitable for a Motorway rest area, and I found the level of services available at night to be somewhat unsatisfactory.

These days though I normally dodge the toll and get fuel in Enfield town if needed.

Good point re BK opening times, I was led to believe these service stations were going to be opened 24hrs with services to match. The NRA fell over themselves with excitement about this venues opening. I get a real sense there not going to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Are these more Celtic tiger white elephants!
    Your alternative is to leave the M4 (and pay the toll to get back on it) in search of whatever it is you're after. This was the way the FF backbenchers wanted it, and had it for so long.

Motorway Services are like services in a housing development. If you don't build the services people have to travel further for stuff and it leads to a generally poor experience.

I've been in all the new Motorway Services, and have found them to be reasonably good. Staff we friendly but the shop is over-priced. While the petrol price was average some of the pumps seemed to be giving trouble.

Though I do wish we had more of them and a bit of competition between them, like in the UK.

I travelled Dublin to Cork and back last weekend, and was amazed that the road has two lovely toll plazas and no services. Welcome to Ireland!

SeanW wrote: »
    It'd be cheaper to pay the toll and buy your petrol elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Once these places have either a Burger King or a McDonald's I'm happy. :p

Apart from that if their fuel is generally higher I will fill up before I hit the road. :)

n97 mini wrote: »
    Your alternative is to leave the M4 (and pay the toll to get back on it) in search of whatever it is you're after. This was the way the FF backbenchers wanted it, and had it for so long.

I am not offering any alternative, I just wanted to know why after all the hype and indeed what was promised how the operators seem to be getting it so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you alternative is not to bother stopping at all. The distances between cities over here is generally not big enough to bother anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

That is hardly a motorway service area is it if the doors are locked and its prepay, its just a petrol station through a hatch. Many a time in the UK I've pulled into a service station at weird hours for the loo and a coffee, and a break from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RE - Prices

I found that the service station was cheaper (by far) than any of my usual dublin haunts when i travalled to Antrim.
    Albeit this was pre budget. What sort of pricing are they running now?

If anyone says 140.9... That is fecking cheap compared to the shambles that is exhibited over most of dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've used them several times, as well as the northbound M1 and have found them great. Never had an issue with them, bar BK being a bit slow first time around but that was opening day and acceptable. Last time was Christmas eve and the M4 westbound was completely packed, car park was practically full. Diesel prices are reasonable too as Listermint points out, nowhere near as expensive as I initially expected.

listermint wrote: »
    RE - Prices

I found that the service station was cheaper (by far) than any of my usual dublin haunts when i travalled to Antrim.
    Albeit this was pre budget. What sort of pricing are they running now?

If anyone says 140.9... That is fecking cheap compared to the shambles that is exhibited over most of dublin.

Yep was shocked to see €1.44.99 At the airport filling station this morning, why don't these ****ers just round it off at €1.45

€1.39 in tullamore this morning thank god i filled up before leaving!

Yep was shocked to see €1.44.99 At the airport filling station this morning, why don't these ****ers just round it off at €1.45

marketing, people see 1.44 and not 1.45 and think its cheaper

marketing, people see 1.44 and not 1.45 and think its cheaper

:confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

1.44.9 is in reality as close to 1.45 as make no difference but you'll still register it as 1.44.

Same reason things in shops are 1.99 instead of 2 euro, gives you the impression that they are cheaper than they are as you register the 1 first rather than a 2

you alternative is not to bother stopping at all.

Well if the petrol tank is empty or the wiz tank is full you are better off not trying to wing it till you get home.

But this is a democracy and people are of course entitled to not use the new services.
    The distances between cities over here is generally not big enough to bother anyway.
    Cork-Dublin is quite a distance, and many people would welcome a break.

I am not offering any alternative, I just wanted to know why after all the hype and indeed what was promised how the operators seem to be getting it so wrong.

I really don't think they're getting it wrong. IMHO they're getting it mostly right.

1.44.9 is in reality as close to 1.45 as make no difference but you'll still register it as 1.44.

Same reason things in shops are 1.99 instead of 2 euro, gives you the impression that they are cheaper than they are as you register the 1 first rather than a 2

I'm taking the piss! of course i understand the strategy it just galls me!

Happy new year!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

We were greeted by what could best be described as a donkey behind the glass who decided to inform us it was pre pay, this news would of course be helpful if it was signposted or if this Donkey could have informed customers over a loudspeaker or something, I for one tried our pumps before giving up.

'Donkey' is offensive. Loudspeakers, signs and stock ordering are all things that are matters for the management.

Don't blame the person who will be there all night on minimum wage.

oharach wrote: »
    'Donkey' is offensive. Loudspeakers, signs and stock ordering are all things that are matters for the management.

I think the phrase originated in Tullamore ;)

• Advertisement

oharach wrote: »

OK let me re phrase, he was a complete Spoon! who's customer skills were Zero. This chap clearly saw a number of customers in difficulty trying to ascertain why no pumps were working, he was looking straight out at us. As for management, i some how doubt same would be found available at 10.30pm.

Even the most basic 24hr service station has loudspeakers installed to assist motorist or facilitate advising them the pumps are pre pay!

Another thing i also forgot to mention, the pumps at these stations all have credit card payment options, one would think such a system would permit the customer to prepay at the pump but again even this facility was not working!
    As explained, these new service stations were promoted with a blaze of publicity prior to opening, gosh the motoring public were all excited about how their lives would be transformed. A complete load of bollox with everything shut up at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you know you are exiting you can get a token to let you back on from the toll booth when you pay.
    Even the most basic 24hr service station has loudspeakers installed to assist motorist or facilitate advising them the pumps are pre pay!

Any time I've been in a station when they use the speakers I've had to go upto the window as they are generally all useless. Can never understand a word they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I previously posted about this prepay thing in relation to the M1 service stations. It says a lot that a new initiative is allowed have such poor standards of public service right from the beginning. There was a chance to have proper standards set, but the NRA clearly don't care.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I previously posted about this prepay thing in relation to the M1 service stations. It says a lot that a new initiative is allowed have such poor standards of public service right from the beginning. There was a chance to have proper standards set, but the NRA clearly don't care.

Yes this is pretty much my feeling on these new public service stations, one would of thought such and investment (albeit apparently not paid for based on the sub contractor protests) would have meant the operators would be making an effort to service motorists needs. I can not see the point of such facilities locking down at 11pm or it seems when suits.

At the rate there going, i can not see these service stations lasting, drove by yesterday early and late morning, not a sign of any movement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Are the toilet and shower facilities open at night. If not there a waste of time. Can you go in and make a cup of coffee after 11pm??

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Are the toilet and shower facilities open at night. If not there a waste of time. Can you go in and make a cup of coffee after 11pm??

Given my experiences of barely being able to petrol, i pretty much doubt it's possible to make or even get a coffee after 11pm, these places are pretty much shut up by then. As for showering facilities, the operators promoted special services for truckers etc but i am not sure if such facilities are in fact available. Would be interesting to hear from any haulers who have used these stations!

At the rate there going, i can not see these service stations lasting, drove by yesterday early and late morning, not a sign of any movement!
    If the uptake is slow at certain hours I'm sure the opening times will be adjusted to reflect demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the uptake is slow at certain hours I'm sure the opening times will be adjusted to reflect demand.

These service areas were built at great expense on the taxpayer. I'd expect proper service levels regardless of ``uptake''

The service are on the M1 at Ballough replicates the privately built and financed service area at the Courtlough junction 2 whole km away

I mean we're gonna pay the operators of the M3 a load of money to operate it as the toll revenue is gonna fall short. Should they be allowed close the M3 if the ``uptake'' is low too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Motorway services shouldn't be demand driven.

There are serious safety issues on our motorway network with no safe place for drivers, both commercial and private, to stop and if the place where they expect to stop and rest safely is shut that's not on.

The should have the pumps, toilets and some type of refreshments open 24hrs.

• Advertisement

These service areas were built at great expense on the taxpayer. I'd expect proper service levels regardless of ``uptake''
    Even if it involves more expense on the taxpayer?

If they are ever to make a return to the exchequer then they will need to curtail services when the demand dictates.

Advertisement