Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Expo 2011

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:38pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I know, I know, extremely early to be planning, but what the hell. Thinking of heading up this year, but want to bring the dog. Anyone know of petfriendly accomodation in Dublin that would be close to the RDS? At least I can start looking into it early to make sure we'll have a place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Shanao wrote: »
    I know, I know, extremely early to be planning, but what the hell. Thinking of heading up this year, but want to bring the dog. Anyone know of petfriendly accomodation in Dublin that would be close to the RDS? At least I can start looking into it early to make sure we'll have a place.

Has it been announced? I don't know if its going to be on again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Thought I saw something about it somewhere... not sure where. Eh, good point, I should probably wait to be sure its on huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

ISDW wrote: »
    Has it been announced? I don't know if its going to be on again.

Oh no where did you hear that? I thought it has been a success every year they've ran it?
    I actually can't find anything about it, usually the website is updated but that still has 2010 on it. When did they announce last years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You could stay in the Travelodge in Rathmines - Travelodge have a sale on at the moment with rooms from just €19 plus a €10 supplement for your dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

boomerang wrote: »
    You could stay in the Travelodge in Rathmines - Travelodge have a sale on at the moment with rooms from just €19 plus a €10 supplement for your dog. :)

are you serious? how darn cool is that?.....:D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Ive never been to the Pet Expo ( i so will go this year if its on!) but ive just found something that says its on in the RDS Sat 8th -Sun 9th of October, 2011??

Heres the link

http://www.guidedogs.ie/iopen24/events_calendar.php?eID=12

is this it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Ive never been to the Pet Expo ( i so will go this year if its on!) but ive just found something that says its on in the RDS Sat 8th -Sun 9th of October, 2011??

Heres the link

http://www.guidedogs.ie/iopen24/events_calendar.php?eID=12

is this it?

Sounds like it, but that link says it's a three day event (as it has been every other year from what I can remember) yet the dates say Sat 8th to Sun 9th 2 days. :confused: Petexpo.ie hasn't been updated yet either. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I didn't think that it had been particularly successful last year, and there was talk about it moving to citywest. It was just gossip though, amongst stallholders there etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Sounds like it, but that link says it's a three day event (as it has been every other year from what I can remember) yet the dates say Sat 8th to Sun 9th 2 days. :confused: Petexpo.ie hasn't been updated yet either. :confused:

Possibly these are the 2 days that guidedogs Ireland will be present. Has anyone e-mailed any of the contacts on Petexpo.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Blergh. Last year was the one I enjoyed the most as i got to bring some of our dogs to it. If they make it an indoor one again it'll go back to being the way it used to be, and I don't know if I'll bother :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Hope they don't move to Citywest.This place is run by Muppets.
    Made the mistake of going to Top Gear Live there last year.
    From the time you drive in the gate it is so badly organised.I'd say Citywest have killed off Top Gear live in Ireland.Pet Expo is a great show and hopefully it runs for many years to come.
    It's the highlight of the year for my kids,always go home with loads of freebies.

Well I've decided I'm going, have booked the Friday and Monday off work and need to find accomodation for me and the mutt now. Think I'll go early on the Friday and check out Marley Park, any other recommendations while I'm there? And where can I leave the dog for a few hours while I go shopping in Dundrum on the Monday :p?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

From the horse's mouth: "Pet Expo is taking place in the RDS from 8th - 9th October 2011. "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

All the Travel Lodges are pet friendly, so is the Ibis at the Red Cow roundabout afaik. I would try check out the Phoenix Park too.
    What part of the country are you in again AJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

this was on the rds site but its been removed - the expo site has it now though
    Expo 2011 will be taking place on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th Ocotober 2011.
    thats at the rds, its a 2 day event though. maybe they removed it when dates changed or that.

andreac wrote: »
    All the Travel Lodges are pet friendly, so is the Ibis at the Red Cow roundabout afaik. I would try check out the Phoenix Park too.
    What part of the country are you in again AJ?

I'm in Donegal, but lived down that way this time last year so will be expected to make a few house calls I'm sure . Will probably be exhausted by the end of it but it's like me to squeeze as much as possible out of things, maybe the shopping might be better as a day trip without the dog at some other time though :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah im sure you would fit in a shopping trip, Dundrum car park is very secure too.
    Theres a chance im going to be there with my 2 rottweilers promoting the breed on a stand but its not def yet.:)

andreac wrote: »
    Ah im sure you would fit in a shopping trip, Dundrum car park is very secure too.
    Theres a chance im going to be there with my 2 rottweilers promoting the breed on a stand but its not def yet.:)

Ah, I see, well I intend on spending a bit of time in that area seeing how I can't decide what I want for doggie no. 2 :rolleyes:. I'll be the person with the stone-mad terrier that really loves strange men :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but the only other recent-ish one about the pet expo is more about the breed village so I didn't want to hijack that thread :)

Just wondering to anyone who's bought tickets for it - do they have to post them out or are the tickets ones you print yourself?

I completely let this slip my mind and I do really want to go so planning on buying tickets tonight but since I'm planning to go on Saturday I know they will not arrive in time - so just wondering what happens in this situation? Any guesses or solid info appreciated!

Also - what is the parking situation like for the pet expo? Is there on site parking?

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Sorry to drag up an old thread - but the only other recent-ish one about the pet expo is more about the breed village so I didn't want to hijack that thread :)

Just wondering to anyone who's bought tickets for it - do they have to post them out or are the tickets ones you print yourself?

I completely let this slip my mind and I do really want to go so planning on buying tickets tonight but since I'm planning to go on Saturday I know they will not arrive in time - so just wondering what happens in this situation? Any guesses or solid info appreciated!

Also - what is the parking situation like for the pet expo? Is there on site parking?

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

You can buy the tickets on the day there. And last year there was a car park expecially for Pet Expo last year across the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Have to say parking at the RDS is always a nightmare! Get a bus if possible. For Pet Expo I'd say you could get tickets at the door, my sister has a stand there this year Positive Dog Training Ireland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

To Answer your question, If you book tickets now then they will be poster out to you but there is no reason not to buy at the door, they wont sell out:rolleyes:

Parking is available in the RDS and it wasn't too full last year, I went both days and there was plenty of space which reminds me, I need to start ringing around to find a taxi willing to take me and my Malamute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We'd no problem..once we eventually found the car park..but then again last year we went ridiculously early and ended up waiting around for ages..I like to be on time hehe. Would all buses take dogs on that day I wonder, it'd be much handier for us to take the DART in but those mean sh*tes don't allow dogs on it grrrrrr. So braving the scary Dublin roads please don't beep at me..

We'd no problem..once we eventually found the car park..but then again last year we went ridiculously early and ended up waiting around for ages..I like to be on time hehe. Would all buses take dogs on that day I wonder, it'd be much handier for us to take the DART in but those mean sh*tes don't allow dogs on it grrrrrr. So braving the scary Dublin roads please don't beep at me..

This is something I have been thinking about for a while, I was thinking of writing to the Minister of transport and requesting pets let on buses and trains for the day as an experiment and if all is OK let them on outside of rush hour like they do with bicycles on the Dart, unfortunately I didn't think they would listen so I didn't bother. I actually saw a golden retriever on the dart going to Bray today and it wasn't a service dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If anyones bringing their dogs ( petsitting one for me) park in UCD and walk down. 20-25 mins. Will save the drama of finding a spot,fees, will tire them out a little bit, get their pees/poos over and done with before ya get to the RDS...then the walk back will totally knacker them for the journey home then.

Park in Carpark 2..in the Stillorgan gates, first right..then left ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Parking at the RDS will cost you at least €6
    I don't know of any free parking in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can get parking for 4.50 if you put your car reg. and print out the vouchers online the links on the expo. page. We'll be there for a looooong time so I don't mind the parking fee it's cheaper than some places down the country for a full days parking.
    Is parking in UCD free?

Now I dont mean this to sound overly negative but compared to last year it just wasnt good, Last year the had the entire open area and plus the inside to walk around, sure there was a lot of wasted space but with the scale you really felt you got your monies worth, also there where a lot less stands in the place, Last year it was all about the freebies(dog bowls, toys and bags of food) which I came home with 2 full shopping bags of, this year I came away with only one free thing which made me feel lack of value for money.

For the kids last year it was better laid out and interesting, they had the pony riding at the gate as well as a farm world where you could meet horses and farm animals and the setting was really authentic, then you passed the tails'n'trails crowd and in to an area with carnival rides and candy floss for the children as well as a large field for walking the dogs and gradually meeting them and their owners, this was sorely missed this year and it was as I feared, lots of dogs in a confined area being forced to pass each other, many of them looking afraid of the loud music and strange dogs and seemed on high alert, others where calm and a few were narky.

This also proved a problem for me, As Titan is still a young dog and had yet to meet any aggressive attitude from other dogs, so the good news is the breed village is a vast improvement over last years with many breeds being represented, a highlight was meeting Andrea from the boards and her Rottweilers. All the people at the village were nice and Titan meet most of them with no problem, the issue came when a big Black Newfie started growling at my dog and showing teeth, after this any black dog seemed to affect my guy and Titan even started growling back but strangely only black dogs as many dogs growled at Titan be he didnt retaliate to the ones who were not black, the only dog we knew was the guy who owned the Leonberger and the two dogs played well together, later we passed trough a door where the Leonbergers were and a new large Male was at the stand in 3 seconds it was at my dogs throat, luck I pull my guy away before any damage but Titan was disoriented and growled at any dog close by for the first few seconds, as I was calming him down before leaving one of the stands where shouting "Take your dog outside!" which I planned to do but obviously they assumed my Large dog was the problem, I was more worried about getting outside before my dog was attacked again. I ad planned to write the first two paragraphs when I returned home but this was a bad end to a not so great day, my feelings are that if it was more like last year it would being easier to avoid problems like what I saw today.

I know its more of a rant but I would like to hear what people experienced this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Threads merged, as there seems to be a few on PetExpo 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DTI asked us to join a demo... He wee'd and poo'd in the ring! The shame :(

Advertisement