Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why? *distressing pics*

Options
  • 04-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Why do some people have dogs? Why do they not take them to the vet if they are sick? Why do they let them go real bad and then dump them?

WHY???????? :mad:

167288_497875315888_169411475888_6099070_239990_n.jpg

167288_497875320888_169411475888_6099071_870414_n.jpg

Didn't even have the guts to hand him in. What a sh*tty start for the year 2011.

:(

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

FFS, the poor dog. Hope the piece of **** who let him get like that gets what's coming to them

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Oh EGAR, he's gorgeous (well he will be).
    Sarcoptes or demodex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I don't know yet, he is coming to EGAR tomorrow. He was dumped in a pound last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah ffs, what is wrong with people!!!!:mad::mad::(
    Well done for taking him in EGAR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The natural evolution of the human race seems to skip an awful lot of people or they are born with parts of their brain missing (the parts that control compassion and empathy in particular). Thats the only possible reasons I can think of anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I hope it's treatable, I hope there are no other underlying problems, and I for one look forward to seeing the 'after' photos, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Is he some sort of Shar Pei x Staff cross? I think these are all the rage in some areas in the UK.

It's a Staffie pup, JR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Oh... I thought his wrinkly skin was because he's half Shar Pei, it must be because he has no fat and muscle. Best of luck, he will be in good hands tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Oh... I thought his wrinkly skin was because he's half Shar Pei

The same thing occured to me but I didn't think it looked quite right, like a natural part of it's make up would. You can also see around his eyes there where the skin is actually sagging so much it's like an extra eye socket!! Absolutely disgusting to let a pup get into this state!

• Advertisement

Dry and wrinkly skin are common in late stage mange :( as are secondary skin infection. He is only a few months old which is why I bet on demodectic mange.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Poor little boy xxxxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Maybe I just haven't noticed before but there seems to be a big increase in the amount of animal cruelty cases being publicised over the past year. I say being publicised because in all reality there may have been no increase at all but just an increase in media coverage.

This photo is shocking and you'd wonder about the capacity of the person in charge of 'caring' for this pup, how could anyone let a pup get to this state?

Good luck with this little guy Egar, I had a horse here some years ago that had a bad case of mange, it was over a year before all signs it had ever been there were gone, he also had sweet-itch which did him no favours either. Recovery after the treatment was finished was unbelievably slow as he had lost so much condition as a result of it.

Yes, the last severe case of Demodectic mange I took in didn't really come back to normal until a full ten months had passed. It's slow but it's rewarding and he is only an ickle puplet.

I had an OTTB with sweet itch (since re-homed) - I tried conventional vet treatment etc but she didn't improve until I started feeding her Wendal's Stop Itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is it detrimental to their health besides the obvious skin discomfort? Like is that little guy going to be ok you think?

It's very uncomfortable for them obviously but with treatment he should be ok unless there are underlying problems. I've never had a mangy dog die on me yet!

EGAR wrote: »
    I had an OTTB with sweet itch (since re-homed) - I tried conventional vet treatment etc but she didn't improve until I started feeding her Wendal's Stop Itch.

This lad was connie/ TB cross, will keep this in mind for future reference ;). The 2 things I found worked with this lad was feeding a garlic supplement (feed garlic to everything that will eat it now!) and not feeding anything containing molasses or beet, sticking with hay instead of hayledge and leaving him out with a certain pony that the midges seemed to prefer the taste of and had no ill-effects from being bitten.

<ETA> Should have added this fella couldn't be rugged as he'd been found tangled up in a rug with the straps cutting into him, tried and tried with this and could get a rug on him after 2 hours of approaching it very carefully, but it was the 2 hours procedure every single time and could never bring myself to leave him unsupervised with it on so had to abandon the rug idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's very uncomfortable for them obviously but with treatment he should be ok unless there are underlying problems. I've never had a mangy dog die on me yet!

I suppose when you look upon it as going hand in hand with malnutrition good and patient feeding is the cure.

What's he weigh in at ? Little more than half of what he should be ?

I don't know yet, MeathStevie, he is arriving tomorrow from the Pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Keep us updated on his progress. Poor guy, even under all that infection you can tell he's gorgeous. How can people do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

If it's demodex try feeding garlic (along with treatment), it helps boost the immune system.

Pound pup is here and was seen by my vet. He does have Demodex and secondary skin infection as well as a fungal infection. He got an injection and Advocate and has to go back to the vet in a weeks time.

In the meantime I will stabilize/boost his immune system with Echinacea and Milk Thistle. Conked out in his crate, he is as good as gold and not quite as young as I thought. I think he is about 10 months old and he is tiny.

I have named him "Phoenix".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

He got an injection and Advocate and has to go back to the vet in a weeks time.

My pup arrived with Demodex luckily only on his nose. Advocate was very successful but Laura (one of the Vets at BVC) attended a skin conference & told me that Advocate was not considered to be effective.

DD, Advocate only works for mange if given at the first signs of it and then is usually just effective for Sarcoptic mange. It is, however, very effective for the treatment of fleas, worms and ear mites ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It worked quickly on my guy & his nose had been bad for a while judging by the state of it. Mind you he got a relatively big dose. The ampoule was for 12kg+ & he weighed 12.5kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Is he underweight as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Lucky pup to end up with you egar. At least you wont give up on him and claim he "has to be put to sleep" because the mange is "untreatable" :mad::(

No, he isn't underweight at all, Demonique, quite a chunky little man but his skin is badly swollen so it is hard to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

EGAR, will you give him a bath, have a dog with bad mange at the moment, vet is to ring me tomorrow to tell me what kind, he suspects demodetic. I just think if I could rub something into him or give him a bath in something it might ease the itching? I going to try adding the garlic, and milk thistle and see how we go.

Advertisement