Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yo-chon puppies advice

Options
  • 04-01-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of buying my mother one of these puppies

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them or do they tend to have any health problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Not sure if i understand you, are you buying the actual mother of these pups or a Yorkshire terrier?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

I want to buy one of the pups the mother is a yorkie and the father is a bichon so the pups are a cross breed named Yo-Chon (Yorkshire terrier-Bichon frise)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

andreac wrote: »
    Not sure if i understand you, are you buying the actual mother of these pups or a Yorkshire terrier?:confused:

Think OP means buying his or hers mother, one of the puppies?

But 260e for a mongrel is crazy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

bungler wrote: »
    do they tend to have any health problems

You will not know the answer to this as this isnt a breed, it is a cross breed. The ad says you get the best of both breeds which in reality is a load of crap. You have just as much chance of getting the worst of both breeds. Reputable breeders will not cross two breeds of dog and charge money for it. If you want a crossbreed rescues and pounds are full of them, they also have pedigree dogs in rescues.

I have two Yorkies, they are prone to problems with their liver, kidneys and thyroid. Also Luxating patellas and Tracheal collapse (which one of mine is showing early signs of). I dont know anything about Bichon's. You are also not guaranteed that the pups will have the benefits of Bichon hair.

Also why is the breeder selling the mother of the pups?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    You will not know the answer to this as this isnt a breed, it is a cross breed. The ad says you get the best of both breeds which in reality is a load of crap. You have just as much chance of getting the worst of both breeds. Reputable breeders will not cross two breeds of dog and charge money for it. If you want a crossbreed rescues and pounds are full of them, they also have pedigree dogs in rescues.

I have two Yorkies, they are prone to problems with their liver, kidneys and thyroid. Also Luxating patellas and Tracheal collapse (which one of mine is showing early signs of). I dont know anything about Bichon's. You are also not guaranteed that the pups will have the benefits of Bichon hair.

Also why is the breeder selling the mother of the pups?

I didnt see in the ad that the mother was for sale, its just the pups.
    My mother just saw one of these and loved it so ive been reading up on it and it seems that they have been cross-bred as a designer dog a bit like the labra-doodle i suppose. Ive read a lot of comments from people who have them and have yet to find one problem but they are all in the US and UK so dont know of anyone in Ireland having one

• Advertisement

They are not a breed, they are mongrels.

Are you buying one with the view to breed these do called mongrels? Or do you just want a Yorkshire terrier? Not sure why you would put up a link to these puppies if you are just looking for a yorkshire terrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Personally I'd run a mile.

It's against the IKC code of ethics to crossbreed two pure bred dogs so you can be sure that this 'breeder' is only in it for the money.

OP I'd advise you to go down the rescue route if you're looking a cute crossbreed. Not only will you be saving a life but you'll also won't be supporting some greedy breeder who's only out to make money from their dogs. Also please make sure your mum really wants a pup first as she'll be responsible for it for the next 12 - 15 years, they are a big committment!

andreac wrote: »
    They are not a breed, they are mongrels.

Are you buying one with the view to breed these do called mongrels? Or do you just want a Yorkshire terrier? Not sure why you would put up a link to these puppies if you are just looking for a yorkshire terrier?

I know they are mongrels i never said otherwise.

No i am simply buying one because my mother thought it was cute and she wants a new dog, so i have no intention of breeding.

I cant understand your comment about why did i post the link because i am just looking for a yorkshire terrier. Can you quote where i said i was just looking for a Yorkie?

Have your mum have a look at some of these dogs, maybe she'll find something she likes!

http://www.irishanimals.ie/homes.html

I didnt see in the ad that the mother was for sale, its just the pups.

It was from your OP that you said you were buying the mother, I seen you have changed that now.
    Toulouse wrote: »
    OP I'd advise you to go down the rescue route if you're looking a cute crossbreed. Also please make sure your mum really wants a pup first as she'll be responsible for it for the next 12 - 15 years, they are a big committment!

Couldnt agree more, there are so many small dogs in rescue. There are several Yorkies I have seen on rescue sites lately if she wants a cute small dog. Or if you want to buy then go for a purebreed Yorkie or Bichon from a reputable IKC reg breeder. Your best bet is to go to a show and meet some breeders etc.

• Advertisement

It was from your OP that you said you were buying the mother, I seen you have changed that now.

Couldnt agree more, there are so many small dogs in rescue. There are several Yorkies I have seen on rescue sites lately if she wants a cute small dog. Or if you want to buy then go for a purebreed Yorkie or Bichon from a reputable IKC reg breeder. Your best bet is to go to a show and meet some breeders etc.

Im bringing her to the Dspca in the morning to look at dogs that are for adoption.

Sorry Tilly my OP said the mother and i meant my mother so thats why i edited it to make it clearer,sorry

Sorry Tilly my OP said the mother and i meant my mother so thats why i edited it to make it clearer,sorry

Oh ya I know was just clarifying as I didnt see the change to the post when I posted my comment.

Good man!

Also try http://www.dogstrust.ie/ just off the M50 Finglas/Ashbourne exit and bear in mind that a huge amount of puppies will be dumped in the next few weeks so if she doesn't see anything suitable tomorrow to keep trying!

Please stay away from these designer breeds. Breeders only do so to line their own pockets with no regard for health or anything else responsible.

Its is against IKC rules to cross breed two different breeds. If you want a mongrel there are plenty for free in rescues and the pound.

There are two Yorkies in Ashton pound at the minute and one in (I think) Dunboyne, whichever pound A Dogs Life take dogs from.

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I want to buy one of the pups the mother is a yorkie and the father is a bichon so the pups are a cross breed named Yo-Chon (Yorkshire terrier-Bichon frise)

Hate to burst your bubble but I definitely wouldn't buy one of these pups. Their a cross between 2 breeds and given a made up name and a hefty price tag for what is essentially a crossbred dog. Iv nothing against crossbreds I have one myself but I do have something against people sticking 2 dogs together and giving them a made up name and charging people an arm and a leg and making up lies about them.

Theres no way the breeder can guarentee that the pups will inherit best of both breeds, think about it it's basic genetics. Who's to say they won't inherit the worst of both breeds. He cannot say that the pups will have a non-shed hypo allergenic coat so if your buying for somewhere with an allergy it could end up in heartbreak if she is allergic to him. There's no guarentee they'l be small like a yorkie either, they could grow to the size of the bichon either.

There's also the possibility that, and Im not saying this breeder has done this but I know of some that have, the owner's yorkie (or even yorkie x) got pregnant by some random dog of unknown breed so he decided to lie and say it was a bichon so that he could charge more, and as a pup it's hard to tell what breeds could be in the pups so you wouldn't know until it's older.

The pups are very cute though but every pup is cute, but I would recommend either going to a shelter/pound and picking out a pup or researching both yorkies and bichons and deciding which you think would suit you best and then finding a good breeder and buying a purebred pup. A good breeder should health test his female for problems found in the breed and then find a suitable health tested male to breed her with.

Woops I am too slow at replying, everyone else has already said what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

While i don't tend to get involved in these "new breed" discussions, i had a look at the ad you linked and felt i had to chime in. As Toulouse said, its against IKC ethics to cross breed two registered dogs. The fact that the breeder has the temerity to claim that by breeding the two registered animals the pups will inherit all the good points of the two breeds really spurred me to write here. That can only be claimed after generations of carefeful breeding. There are absolutely NO guarentees that these pups l be healthy later in life, I'd run a mile if i were in your shoes. And to be perfectly blunt if i were not writing this on my phone in work i would be emailing IKC to register my digust that the breeder is using their good name to dupe innocent people like yourself.

shinikins wrote: »
    i would be emailing IKC to register my digust that the breeder is using their good name to dupe innocent people like yourself.

I just did but doubt it would do any good. They know this is happening and obviously dont care.

Thanks for all your help today, we have taken your advice and want to get one from a shelter can anyone put me in touch with any, i live in south dublin but dont miond travelling. id like to get a yorkie or somthing small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

when I saw the title I tought is was going to be about some Korean spitz breed or something...In my day mongrels were free:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thanks for all your help today, we have taken your advice and want to get one from a shelter can anyone put me in touch with any, i live in south dublin but dont miond travelling. id like to get a yorkie or somthing small

Here's a handy list of some of the rescues around the country. http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hi there is a little yorkie in Dunboyne pound.The name on the gate is "Blackhall kennels"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

There's yorkies and pomeranians in Dogs Aid at the moment www.dogsaid.ie

Here is the picture of the Yorkie in Dunboyne pound..

DunboyneYorkie.jpg

Her "out date" is tomorrow so if you are interested you need to act fast as she could be PTS tomorrow if not rehomed, reclaimed or gets a rescue place. Number for the pound is 01 8026676 or try Martina on 086 3871498 she takes dogs from the pound and rehomes them so she might already have a foster arranged.

The two in Ashton are sorted thankfully, one was reclaimed and the other rehomed.:D

I will keep an eye out for you, I am signed up to a lot of rescue and pound pages on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Here is the picture of the Yorkie in Dunboyne pound..

DunboyneYorkie.jpg

Her "out date" is tomorrow so if you are interested you need to act fast as she could be PTS tomorrow if not rehomed, reclaimed or gets a rescue place. Number for the pound is 01 8026676 or try Martina on 086 3871498 she takes dogs from the pound and rehomes them so she might already have a foster arranged.

The two in Ashton are sorted thankfully, one was reclaimed and the other rehomed.:D

I will keep an eye out for you, I am signed up to a lot of rescue and pound pages on facebook.

OMG so sorry to bump in on your thread but why on gods earth would anyone go out and pay premium for a dog when there is gorgeous dogs like this little one just wanting some-one to love her?

Shouldn't have looked at the pic i want her now...

Hope she gets lucky..

I know she is gorgeous, looks just like my Tilly when she needs a haircut and a wash!

I just did but doubt it would do any good. They know this is happening and obviously dont care.

IKC got back to me with this reply..

"Having checked our records we have no member by the name of **** as
    mentioned on the attached advertisement sent by you. We are therefore
    unable to follow this up for you.

In accordance with our code of ethics to which all members agree to abide it
    is not permitted to mate a dog except to its own breed."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

IKC got back to me with this reply..

"Having checked our records we have no member by the name of **** as
    mentioned on the attached advertisement sent by you. We are therefore
    unable to follow this up for you.

In accordance with our code of ethics to which all members agree to abide it
    is not permitted to mate a dog except to its own breed."

In other words, 'nothing to do with us thanks'

I shouldn't have looked at that picture, some days I'm more able to handle those pictures than others, today I'm not.

At least they got back to you Tillygirl, i'm still waiting on a reply!

• Advertisement

I did, however get a reply from Donedeal, in the form of a brush off, and instruction to report the ad to the Gardai. What is the point in having a report function on their website if they do nothing about reported ads? Its baltently obvious that the "breeder" is using false advertising!

Apologies to everyone, i've never had to use that site(and never will!) so i've not come across anything so stupid in my life!

Advertisement