Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭amacca

has its ups and downs though... or does that sound a bit strange. :cool:

yeah sounds a bit quarky ...sorry I meant quirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

amacca wrote: »
    yeah sounds a bit quarky ...sorry I meant quirky.

charming :D

Oh god i'm a nerd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

It takes all sorts I guess, ALL SORTS OF FLAVOURS!!!

*Damn, that didnt go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Colours wrote: »
    So OP in conclusion it is down to the very discoveries of the likes of Galileo, Newton, Einstein etc that has advanced the world - well the western world at least - to a place where viewpoints like yours can be expressed freely!

While the OP, and others expressing a more spiritual/faithful/religious standpoint may not be in any physical danger the irony is the intellectual reaction is often the very same as that received by the likes of Galileo back in their day. Things have gone 180 degrees to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

prinz wrote: »
    While the OP, and others expressing a more spiritual/faithful/religious standpoint may not be in any physical danger the irony is the intellectual reaction is often the very same as that received by the likes of Galileo back in their day. Things have gone 180 degrees to a large extent.

Explain how, please.

• Advertisement

Explain how, please.

Anyone expressing anything remotely approaching what could be described as a religious viewpoint is very often automatically derided on these boards and further afield, and their views dismissed out of hand because of it, even when they actually might have a point. Examples on this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Explain how, please.
    Well take boards as an example. Someone expresses something that has anti-religious sentiment or anti-theistic sentiment and you get many people joining in making snide remarks and slapping each other's backs. When someone express religious or spiritual sentiment you get a pack of angry wolves ridiculing the poster and making snide remarks.

In the past the situation was the reverse except back then it was both a physical and verbal response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Anyone expressing anything remotely approaching what could be described as a religious viewpoint is very often automatically derided on these boards and further afield, and their views dismissed out of hand because of it, even when they actually might have a point. Examples on this very thread.

or maybe theyre asked to prove their standpoint using logic or evidence. they cant and then they are ridiculed.

that was the exact opposite of what happened in relation to gallileo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Well take boards as an example. Someone expresses something that has anti-religious sentiment or anti-theistic sentiment and you get many people joining in making snide remarks and slapping each other's backs. When someone express religious or spiritual sentiment you get a pack of angry wolves ridiculing the poster and making snide remarks.

In the past the situation was the reverse except back then it was both a physical and verbal response.

OP in this thread

51 thanks for this garbage. The back-slapping works both ways.

or maybe theyre asked to prove their standpoint using logic or evidence. they cant and then they are ridiculed.

Generally not no, seeing as how you don't need to "prove a standpoint" to offer an opinion on most things. If the matter is a discussion of religion fine, oftentimes it isn't but the person's opinion gets dismissed anyway. It's much easier to muddle through believing anyone religious is a brainwashed idiot, with no interest in logical thought or science for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pace2008 wrote: »
    OP in this thread

51 thanks for this garbage. The back-slapping works both ways.
    I can name quite a few of those people who thanked that post who are very vocally anti-religion. In any case, the one in that thread isn't displaying religious sentiment. He's just complaining about the arrogance and smugness of what he called "new atheists".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

charming :D

Oh god i'm a nerd :(
    Nah, you're just Strange. ;)

I'm forever amused by how anti-Science dingbats are quite happy to use the products of Science to promote their anti-Science messages. Do the really imagine that the Internet, and all the machines attached to it (including boards.ie) were provided by "God"? I don't remember reading anything about IP Addresses in the New Testament. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Yes Prinz that's the irony I was referring to except that at least as we're on the enightened side of the middle ages, Hayey is not in danger of being shunned by church, state or society for expressing his/her viewpoint. And that's partially at least because we've progessed and are more enlightened due to the discoveries and advances that have been made scientifically and technologically that have made us more aware.

Colours wrote: »
    Yes Prinz that's the irony I was referring to except that at least as we're on the enightened side of the middle ages, Hayey is not in danger of being shunned by church, state or society for expressing his/her viewpoint..

To an extent you are correct. However there is a definite 'main-stream' now which religion doesn't fit into and people do shun it and those people who enjoy an interest in things religion..

For instance not many people know that Katy Perry, or Katy Hudson as she was going by then started her career in the Christian music/Gospel genre. That's soooooooooooo not cool.

Would she be the talked about and lusted after star she is now if she was still singing gospel music? I think not. She'd be just another bible-bashing freak then wouldn't she?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Advertisement