Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth buying a Mac

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I found learning how to use a Mac was easier than learning how to use Windows. You'd be surprised how much easier it is than Windows.

You sometimes hear 'oh I hate Mac's they're so confusing and hard to use'. That's just laziness in my opinion, not trying something new. But again that's just my opinion.

David086 wrote: »
    I found learning how to use a Mac was easier than learning how to use Windows. You'd be surprised how much easier it is than Windows.

You sometimes hear 'oh I hate Mac's they're so confusing and hard to use'. That's just laziness in my opinion, not trying something new. But again that's just my opinion.
    Johnmb wrote: »
    What is this business of having to relearn everything? The only problem I had with switching was that now and again when I'd be doing something new, I'd look for the most awkward, non-sensical way to do it (a-la Windows). But once I got around to trying the easy and obvious way first, it all was very natural. You may have to learn Windows, but you just have to use a Mac.

Finally I get my backup LOL! My tip is to forget some your windows habits. Infact you can keep some of your windows shortcut habits! just one small change. Instead of holding control hold CMD or the key with the apple logo on it. So
    Copy and paste CTRL C = CMD C. CTRL V = CMD V.
    New window: CTRL N = CMD N.
    To open a new tab: CTRL T = CMD T.
    Print: CTRL P = CMD P
    Refresh: F5 = CMD + R
    Although ALT + F4 gets changed to CMD + W and if you want to quit the app instead of just closing the window for some applications it's CMD + Q

The F4 keys etc are gone because they are special function keys. F1 + F2 is brightness. F3 is expose. F4 is Dashboard. F5 + F6 is keyboard brightness or if your using a mac desktop keyboard you can program them. F7 - F9 are for iTunes. F10-F12 is volume. F13 is eject DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You are not a very good programming professional if you think you have to "relearn" a lot to use a mac.

Also, macs on average are more expensive and dont have as much games you cant argue against that.

Still worth every cent.

You are not a very good programming professional if you think you have to "relearn" a lot to use a mac.

Also, macs on average are more expensive and dont have as much games you cant argue against that.

Still worth every cent.

Yes, they can't play as much games and they are expensive BUT they are also high quality remember that they ARE NOT overpriced.
    * Macs have IPS screens. As a matter of fact, take what some PC fanboys call the overpriced iMac. Woah €1700 for 27" Computer right. Turns out the 27" Display on it's own is worth 1,000. Which means the computer is worth €581. iLife is €80 and the Operating system is Snow Leopard €29. When the next more full featured OS comes out and will cost €129 the price of the system gets reduced to €481 for the hardware. Now add SMS sensors to the iMacs, IR sensors (Mac Notebooks have them built in) and more. Your getting really a high quality display on a high quality computer. OH don't forget the wireless keyboard and mouse and battery charger.

(The price of the 27" Cinema display is €1000 and they have the same features and IPS technology as the 27" iMac. Not to mention the resolution of the computer 2650x1600, then apple has to make the display a bit thicker using more metal to house the computer, add 3 system controlled fans with advanced sensors etc.)

Oh they are not over-priced but they are expensive (just saying - i cant speak ive moved onto a macbook pro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm both a Mac and PC user.

apple have designed a system which is easier for the user to use,

Windows 7 is microsoft coming into line creating functionality as the key.

lets face it - most of us dont use all the functions on a computer - you want it to run specific programmes and do its job.

Both will do that .... the difference is that the Mac will be more expensive, last longer (less problems - hardware and software).

every Mac user will tell you its easy to use, every PC user will tell you a mac is hard to use (they wont say a PC is easy to use...they try to claim the other is worse to make theirs sound better)

I may be biased - I use my mac more than my PC, I own 3 PC laptops and 1 macbook, 2 of my PC laptops are pretty much redundant.... I purchased a PC laptop in 2008 (July) for approx €700 today a similar spec machine would be €350ish .... I also purchased a macbook in 2008 (dec) for approx €1400 ....today a similar spec macbook is €1200ish .

Both have different uses for me - if I was to sell either, I could get approx €300 for the PC laptop, I could get €700-800 for the macbook.....the PC is in top condition original box, accessories etc etc all mint condition.

Anyway - OP ... if you can afford to pay the extra - get a macbook, (they are due to release a new range of macbooks in Feb/March...so might be worth waiting till then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plaasjapie

Relearning everything, Are you serious :confused: Why do you think media professionals use it, because it's easy to learn = effiecent.

And you know they are other ways of getting WebHD, E.G a 1GB torrent for an episode in HD is considered webHD = about 4,000kbps bit rate.

And if you think Windows is easier than Mac you obviously haven't tried it and if you tried it within your job enviornment give it 2 weeks to kick in, soon the shortcuts will be so useful. Efficiency can be as little as using spaces to separate final cut with photoshop and illustrator and expose within a space.

Whell, here is one media pro that doesnt use it. I use Maya/SOFTIMAGE XSI/Lightwave/Illistrator/Photoshop almost every week depending on the project, on Windows. I have keyboard shortcuts. I have scripts. I have workflow. No MAC needed. All my clients run windows, so I would have to re-dubug every time. No thanks. Also the finder sucks IMHO.

I would also add that I dont even know how to defrag in Win7, I never had to. Bashing windows for Defrag goes back to windows 95, which was released 15 years ago.

The comments advocating illegal downloads are off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plaasjapie

All the drivers, all the backup stuff you users never get a look at is different. Why do I even have to explain this? Every idiot can switch on any computer and go to youtube and google.

Unfortunately I make my money by doing things fast. I am used to PC. I dont have the time to re-learn everything, end of.

If you dont have an investment in windows, and you are loaded, and you dont have to debug someones access database they made in 1992, macs are great.
    Still worth every cent.

In your opinion.

Access ah yes that is difficult, im sorry :confused:

plaasjapie wrote: »
    Whell, here is one media pro that doesnt use it. I use Maya/SOFTIMAGE XSI/Lightwave/Illistrator/Photoshop almost every week depending on the project, on Windows. I have keyboard shortcuts. I have scripts. I have workflow. No MAC needed. All my clients run windows, so I would have to re-dubug every time. No thanks. Also the finder sucks IMHO.

I would also add that I dont even know how to defrag in Win7, I never had to. Bashing windows for Defrag goes back to windows 95, which was released 15 years ago.

The comments advocating illegal downloads are off topic.

You need to Backup your claims here man, Firstly, I was saying that webHD is avail and when i watch it the battery life i get and you said it doesn't exist here in ireland but you can get it :rolleyes: TV tuners tend to export 720p 40 minute videos in webHD as well. There are tons of USB TV Tuners for MacBook Pros, iMacs and lada and PCI cards for Mac Pros
    As for defrag that thing you will still hear tech experts recommend you use it to keep your computer in sync, that didn't even die down with vista. The finder sucks? Firstly no backup of the claim. Thats like me saying Windows 7 explorer sucks! Well actually it does and i'm going to back it up now. (Firstly it has multitasking alert support (What does this mean) It means that if one application requires your attention it doesn't disrupt your entire workflow. Secondly the explorer when dialog windows open (To open, to load, to save etc) it doesn't pop out of the window your working on so if you go and do something else and come back to the window there's a chance you will forget which window it came from especially if it's a photoshop file and have multiple windows with drafts open. On a Mac the dialog windows are attached to the window your trying to do the action on and again the multitasking support so you can leave the window in that state and go and do something else. On another note, windows has anything but efficieny, seen from the moment you boot, in fact when you boot it only uses one core! Is that efficient to you? Well go to msconfig, hit the boot panel, click options, tick num. of processors and select how many cores your processor has! A free tip for the Operating system that you find better to use for media than mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Must admit, the Finder does suck, but thats easily fixed with TotalFinder.

miralize wrote: »
    Must admit, the Finder does suck, but thats easily fixed with TotalFinder.

Actually I found that a few days ago and got a free press pass to review it! :) I love it! And I loved not hav......

Oh heres one more to add to the Macs are efficient. A application like TotalFinder that modifies a system app like the finder so much it even integrates into the preferences and modifies shortcuts maps and everything.... NO RESTART. Just a simple restart of the finder, had that been on the windows platform it would have required a reboot.

But back to total finder I loved the not rebooting thing. I love how smoothly it runs and dragging tabs out of the window and being able to drag them back in and so on. Two thumbs up to them. :)

Although i'm still wondering why do you think the finder sucks as it brought a lot to the table for e.g the dock. The dock is a separate app but needs to be running along side the finder otherwise the folders area fecks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Finally I get my backup LOL! My tip is to forget some your windows habits. Infact you can keep some of your windows shortcut habits! just one small change. Instead of holding control hold CMD or the key with the apple logo on it. So
    Copy and paste CTRL C = CMD C. CTRL V = CMD V.
    New window: CTRL N = CMD N.
    To open a new tab: CTRL T = CMD T.
    Print: CTRL P = CMD P
    Refresh: F5 = CMD + R
    Although ALT + F4 gets changed to CMD + W and if you want to quit the app instead of just closing the window for some applications it's CMD + Q

The F4 keys etc are gone because they are special function keys. F1 + F2 is brightness. F3 is expose. F4 is Dashboard. F5 + F6 is keyboard brightness or if your using a mac desktop keyboard you can program them. F7 - F9 are for iTunes. F10-F12 is volume. F13 is eject DVD

Thanks!
    My first mac is on it's way to me. Can you point me anywhere to find more of this type of condensed "you used to do this - now you do this" type of knowledge? Without having to watch the Apple videos preferrably, they bore me to tears!

milltown wrote: »
    Thanks!
    My first mac is on it's way to me. Can you point me anywhere to find more of this type of condensed "you used to do this - now you do this" type of knowledge? Without having to watch the Apple videos preferrably, they bore me to tears!

The apple videos bore us to tears because the ****er talks so slow LOL. The above poster linked the short cuts. The only other difference is that the Enlarge minimize and x is on the left side of the screen when your browsing the web and so on. A thing you should try doing is on your current PC download all of the apple software for PC, safari, quicktime and itunes. For Quicktime open all of your .mov and mp4s with it. With itunes make it your default music service and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have dell laptops (running ubuntu) and a MBP. Life is so much easier with the MBP. Firewire is easier, the built in webcam is easier, audio is easier - plus even though the macbook is a good 3 or 4 years old its like brand new. personally, I think you get what you pay for. Pay for peanuts and you get peanuts. Pay for a quality product and you get something that you use more and that lasts way longer. Thats just imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

+1 for totalfinder. I could never go back to vanilla finder again.

As for whether or not to buy a mac, it depends on your priorities. You're really paying extra for good design and total integration. Good design doesn't mean it looks attractive, but that's part of it. Good design is visible in things like having the biggest trackpads in the industry, sensibly placed connector ports, slot loading optical drives and little touches like the power/charging LED being on the end of the charger cable instead of somewhere on the computer. This design philosophy extends to the internals as well as the software. If this is valuable to you, you might find it worthwhile to pay the premium.

I think it's valuable to everyone, consciously or not. Then again I am a big mac fanboy so I might be biased :)

besides tabs why use totalfinder? (genuine qs, not snarky)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Tabs, folders on top and dual pane mode (command+u) for me.

I always found finder a bit annoying in some situations where I was moving lots of files around. Those 3 simple features seem to have done away with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

cut copy and paste in the context menus too.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Maybe its just me but i prefer expose rather than tabs - i only use tabs in browsers as i have way to many to make expose any way useful.

Moving files is spring loaded in normal finder or cmd-c and cmd-v in into new location.

I will give it another look but I feel it is likely another quicksilver, for me anyway.

Advertisement