Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Speedy44 wrote: »
    thought that was the other 'dam ;)

I can see the Twelve Pins across the lake from where I live, and I would rather pay hundreds of euro to tackle a marathon in Europe than run up those 'dam' mountains :D

Best of luck with them.

That'd be wishful thinking on my part, so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You just can't beat the build up to the marathon. Nerves, excitement, pasta, the race itself, the beers and the stories afterwards. Love it. Have a great run, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

You just can't beat the build up to the marathon. Nerves, excitement, pasta, the race itself, the beers and the stories afterwards. Love it. Have a great run, good luck!

tx, but I betcha weren't saying that this time last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

You said it! 4 x 1km last night felt like a game of Russian Roulette. I came through it unscathed thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Like Speedy44 I too can see the Connemara monsters out my window and like brownian I will be tackling them on Sunday. Haven't done enough training for a flat marathon never mind the nightmare that is the Connemarathon. After four consecutive European spring marathons it will be my first Connemara marathon which is slightly silly given that it is on my doorstep but better late than never. As it happens it is my thirteenth marathon, hopefully it will be lucky thirteen and not the other!

In relation to Rotterdam I would just like to wish all of you the best of luck. Having done Rotterdam last year I can confirm that it offers great PB potential so if you are hoping for a special time make sure to get there early. If it is breezy as it might be tuck in behind a couple of German military types as parts of the course are quite exposed. Again enjoy and be safe! Make sure to catch up with KentuckyPete in Paddy Murphy's afterwards as he is a good host and a competent drinker!!

Just going out the door to do one of Ray D'Arcys 5k's to give the system a reminder of what a mass start is like after the winter layoff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Aren't you building up to a wedding Misty? I'd say the "Nerves, excitement, pasta," etc. associated with that is twice as tough.

Cheers for the shout lad, I'll hit the road a slap for you on Sunday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Aren't you building up to a wedding Misty? I'd say the "Nerves, excitement, pasta," etc. associated with that is twice as tough.

Cheers for the shout lad, I'll hit the road a slap for you on Sunday ;)

Got married in February and yes I was a lot more nervous for that I can tell ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

There's a good interview with Eliud Kiptanui about the Rotterdam race here. Seems he's going for the course record!

Best of luck to everyone taking part!

This I like :D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2844

14 degrees, partly sunny and very light winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Safe trip and best of luck. Bring back heroic tales!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

One forecast is giving it a high of 19degC.......I prefer the 14degC prediction.

Best of luck to everyone running this weekend.

As this is my first marathon I have no time predictions, well none I am willing to publically share.

I'm see-sawing between raw excitement and nervousness. Really looking forward to though.

Taking a lot of advice on here I am going to keep reminding myself that you only ever get to run your first marathon once and to soak it all up and enjoy it.

If you see someone smiling liked a crazed idiot somewhere around the 20 mile marker (sorry, 32km marker, damn metric system) that will be me repeating the words from above around and around in my head.

Again, best of luck to everyone and every ounce of mobility left in me will be used to drag my carcass to Paddy Murphys Sunday eve.

Hope to meet some of ye there.

dev123 wrote: »
    One forecast is giving it a high of 19degC.......I prefer the 14degC prediction.

Best of luck to everyone running this weekend.

As this is my first marathon I have no time predictions, well none I am willing to publically share.

I'm see-sawing between raw excitement and nervousness. Really looking forward to though.

Taking a lot of advice on here I am going to keep reminding myself that you only ever get to run your first marathon once and to soak it all up and enjoy it.

If you see someone smiling liked a crazed idiot somewhere around the 20 mile marker (sorry, 32km marker, damn metric system) that will be me repeating the words from above around and around in my head.

Again, best of luck to everyone and every ounce of mobility left in me will be used to drag my carcass to Paddy Murphys Sunday eve.

Hope to meet some of ye there.

The only bit of advice I can give you on your first marathon is not to get carried away, because its very easy to get caught up in the moment.
    Whatever realistic time you have in your head based on your training, stick to it, even if you lose a few minutes in the opening miles because of crowds or whatever, don't try to make it up.

Do this and you should be smiling like a crazed idiot at 26mls, never mind 20 :D ................ and yes, I'm also in mls! I have my garmin set on autolap and will just take the 5k splits to make sure its not off.

I am staying about 20mins out in the 'burbs so hopefully I'll be able to summon the energy to make it back in to Paddy Murphys :)

Best of luck ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Thanks for the advice Speedy,

I have a pace plan in my head that I want to follow and I will try and stick to that.

I have read that its quiet congested at the start so this should hopefully stop me haring off at the start.

I def won't try and make up any time lost. If I'm slow for a mile or two at the start I have just over 24 more of them to go so whats the hurry.

Thanks again for the advice and I might see you in Paddy Murphys.

I will be the one at the bar with the weissbeer and the slightly maniacal grin on his face

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Best of luck everyone!

The weather is looking good. Hopefully it holds below 18 degrees and light winds. All we have to worry about after that is the flat course :)

Hopefully catch up with some of ye in Paddy Murphy's.

Yeah I've been scanning all the weather forecasts and they do vary wildly. This one is usually very accurate, which is good, but it's showing 20 degrees by 2pm - not so good.

Am alll over the place in the taper. Have been convinced that I've developed around 13 different injuries / illnesses in the past few days. Did my last run this morning. 4 miles - 1 steady, 2@PMP, 1 steady. It was 17 degrees and I was sweating like a bastard afterwards. Time to start the fluid loading soon.

Hard to believe how months and months of training and focus comes down to this. What a blast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 carthaigh

This I like :D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2844

14 degrees, partly sunny and very light winds.

Good luck Speedy. Bring home a sub-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 murd

Hi all,

Once I'm finished with the marathon I'm quite keen to catch the end of the US Masters golf tournament. I'm staying not too far from the start/finish. Does anyone know if anywhere central might be showing it, as far as I know golf isn't very popular in the Netherlands? My plan just now is try Paddy Murphy's as I guess if anywhere is going to show it an Irish pub is as good a bet as any?

Cheers

murd wrote: »
    Hi all,

Once I'm finished with the marathon I'm quite keen to catch the end of the US Masters golf tournament. I'm staying not too far from the start/finish. Does anyone know if anywhere central might be showing it, as far as I know golf isn't very popular in the Netherlands? My plan just now is try Paddy Murphy's as I guess if anywhere is going to show it an Irish pub is as good a bet as any?

Cheers

Yeah they were showing premiership etc. in there last year so they'll surely have the golf / Sky Sports

Anyone any idea of Ryan Airs carry on luggage policy?

I was hoping to bring my sports gels, or should I just try to pick some up over there?
    I suppose other toiletries are forbidden as well, razors, shaving cream etc.

And I also like to carry a few extra safety pins just incase, would they be considered a weapon?

Anyone any idea of Ryan Airs carry on luggage policy?

I was hoping to bring my sports gels, or should I just try to pick some up over there?
    I suppose other toiletries are forbidden as well, razors, shaving cream etc.

And I also like to carry a few extra safety pins just incase, would they be considered a weapon?

The ryanair restriction is 10kg max carryon in 1 bag only.

The rest of the restrictions are due to airport security and apply to all airlines:

Gels will be fine if each one is under 100ml and you have them in the standard resealable see-through bag

Ordinary razors are fine. All creams etc. must be in containers of size100ml or less and in the see-through bag

Safety pins will be fine

• Advertisement

The ryanair restriction is 10kg max carryon in 1 bag only.

The rest of the restrictions are due to airport security and apply to all airlines:

Gels will be fine if each one is under 100ml and you have them in the standard resealable see-through bag

Ordinary razors are fine. All creams etc. must be in containers of size100ml or less and in the see-through bag

Safety pins will be fine

cheers KP.

I'm going to print this out and bring it with me to show them that you said it would be ok ;)

cheers KP.

I'm going to print this out and bring it with me to show them that you said it would be ok ;)

No problem! :cool:

Was talking to a running buddy earlier and he was saying that with the heat forecast that electrolyte replenishment will become an issue - salt tablets being the answer.

Might pick up a few this evening. They say "never try in a marathon that you haven't tried in training" though so I dunno...

Was talking to a running buddy earlier and he was saying that with the heat forecast that electrolyte replenishment will become an issue - salt tablets being the answer.

Might pick up a few this evening. They say "never try in a marathon that you haven't tried in training" though so I dunno...

I cramped up bad at 17mls in last years DCM and talking with people afterwards, they reckon low salt could have been the problem. I could sweat for Ireland (:rolleyes:) and I was drinking water like a fish so it made sence.

I got some a few wks back, I only tried it out once in a long run but I had no ill affects from it.
    Thinking I might have 1 or 2 before we start and another couple along the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Get a couple for your pardner, Pete.

By the way, you bringing the Red Top for a pic afterwards for the running thread??

Itziger wrote: »
    Get a couple for your pardner, Pete.

By the way, you bringing the Red Top for a pic afterwards for the running thread??

There's only one and you have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

There's only one and you have it :)

Jeez!

Ya gave me the only one!!!

Better bring it along then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I cramped up bad at 17mls in last years DCM and talking with people afterwards, they reckon low salt could have been the problem. I could sweat for Ireland (:rolleyes:) and I was drinking water like a fish so it made sence.

I got some a few wks back, I only tried it out once in a long run but I had no ill affects from it.
    Thinking I might have 1 or 2 before we start and another couple along the course.

I used Nuun tabs in Cork last june, worked a treat. Each one mixes in 500ml of water so I broke the tabs in half beforehand, wrapped them individually in clingfilm and that way i could pop them in the 250ml water bottles they were handing out. Took 4 halves, starting an hour in and then every 30mins. You can get dioraltye sachets in any chemist but they are messier than tablets to pop in the water on the run. As they are pure salt, they generally shouldn't upset your stomach the way sugars could.

P.S Best of luck to everyone Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Best of luck to those doing Rotterdam, especially the 8 from Clonliffe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Yeah best of luk to everyone. Hope it doesnt get too warm and everyone gets a good time...And enjoy it if u can!!! :)

Advertisement