Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calender Controversy

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard about the calender being sold in aid of Ash Animal Rescue?

This is the website http://www.puppylove.ie/

Anyway there seems to be a bit of controversy surrounding it, as one of the images shows a woman breast feeding a pup.

It mainly seems to be the red top rags that have jumped all over this, calling it animal cruelty. It made the front page of one :rolleyes:

I've seen the image and have to say it doesn't bother me but can understand if some people find it distasteful.

I suppose what bothers me most is that this calender was to be used to raise money for a rescue that is badly in need of funds, a rescue that has a strict no kill policy and I would be concerened that attention is only being brought to this calender for the sake of a story and as a result the rescue will suffer. These papers never highlight the plight of the thousands of dogs being abandoned and PTS every year.

I dont think the staff in ASH had anything to do with the calender but I couldnt be sure.

Heres a link to the official statement regarding the calender

http://karolliver.blogspot.com/2010/12/official-statement-regarding-puppy-love.html?zx=b28fde2f01146f97

Any thoughts?

this is the image, Mods feel free to delete if you think its inappropriate

final_web_karol_liver.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

LOL ... What a bitch :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Really nice puppies.

Tbh, for an animal calender, it's a bit much. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

What springs to mind here, as a woman, is... OUCH! :p Also, I don't see how this would be cruelty to the pup, it's not like the puppy would exactly be afraid of breasts :confused:

This kind of smacks of 'publicity stunt' I think, but in any case, it wierds me out slightly. I don't think I'd like to have that pic hanging on my kitchen fridge for a month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

repulsive

i do wonder who would buy this calendar anyway. I would have thought that women buy dog calendars mainly(i could be wrong but it is that way in my family) and what women wants pics like that on her wall...not too many?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Very stupid move, considering that an animal rescue group is hardly short on suitable material. People generally buy charity calenders to support the charity, there is no need for them to try to be edgy and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think it's cruel - I just think it's WEIRD! Why would I want to look at that pic for a month?! Also imagine having the calendar up on the wall and eg elderly visitors coming over lol. Cute puppies and kitten and other animals are what sell animal calendars - not boobs - thats why I bought the guide dogs one in nov :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sex Sells shocker!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

In fairness theres really no need for sex to sell an animal calendar. My boyfriend went to buy a calender with Border collies for his mam and it was €15:eek: There was only 1 left.

Half of the calender shop was kittens and puppy ones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

smcgiff wrote: »

I wonder if all the media coverage has increased their sales?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Storm in a teacup.

Seems to me to be a publicity stunt, maybe it has worked for them, maybe it hasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Just another form of ignorance
    I find it totally disturbing tbh,
    just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Could be a good photoshop job..
    Breastfeeding animals is not a new concept by any means..
    This was in a Bella mag about a year ago:
    http://vision02.com/woman-breastfeeds-her-cat/
    And in some tribes its the norm:
    http://thatgirlisfunny.com/2010/12/15-women-who-breast-feed-animals-weird-or-wonderful/
    Strange to see Tori Amos and Kate Garraway entering the fray tho.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

BengaLover wrote: »
    Could be a good photoshop job..
    Breastfeeding animals is not a new concept by any means..
    This was in a Bella mag about a year ago:
    http://vision02.com/woman-breastfeeds-her-cat/
    And in some tribes its the norm:
    http://thatgirlisfunny.com/2010/12/15-women-who-breast-feed-animals-weird-or-wonderful/
    Strange to see Tori Amos and Kate Garraway entering the fray tho.. :D:D

Your 2nd link there - the british woman in no 12 - all i can say is :eek:!!
    Breast feeds her cat, guinea pig, & shire horse... but not her baby son!! and the pic...that certainly wouldn't sell many calendars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ohhh ...beeewbs ...(legs, ankles) ....all very lovely.

Don't really get the animal rescue connection though. And as far as the target market goes ...well they missed it by a mile. Too many "provocative" women for your typical animal lover ...too many dogs for your average "provocative" calendar buyer.

The breast feeding image ...meh, really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Storm in a teacup.

Ah now, storm in a D cup at the very least.
    Storm in a teacup.

Seems to me to be a publicity stunt, maybe it has worked for them, maybe it hasn't?

I fail to see who they are targeting here, for it to be successful that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*snigger* :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I quite like the image! I would have her looking at the pup though.

Then again, I'm a breastfeeding advocate and I love animals too. Not mad gone on the other images, they're a bit "obvious" by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I fail to see who they are targeting here, for it to be successful that is.

me too... maybe art lovers? I don't know... :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't like it, it's slightly disturbing.

(Is that a suitable food source for pup? :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I quite like the image! I would have her looking at the pup though.

Then again, I'm a breastfeeding advocate and I love animals too. Not mad gone on the other images, they're a bit "obvious" by comparison.

Also a breast feeding advocate, and love animals. I find something slightly disturbing about the image. What is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

sick:mad:

there is nothing "natural" about this photo, it's a model with absolutely no connection to the pup that was brought in for a provocative photoshoot to cause controversary...it's worked, however I fear it may be at the expense of the shelter

I'd much rather buy the ALL FOR ANIMALS charity calender!:D
    http://www.madra.ie/en/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=12

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

Yep, very weird photo and def not one that id buy or would want to be looking at for a month on the wall :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Reminds me of a PETA poster, if you think of it though it has raised an awful lot of publicity, how many charity calenders can say they got advertisement on the front page of a newspaper, they do say no such thing as bad advertisement (or something like that).

Personally it's not something Id like hanging on my wall so I wouldn't buy it, if it were pictures of just dogs/pups I would have no problem buying it. As somebody else pointed out who would their target audience be?

Im taking it with a pinch of salt as I don't believe everything I read in newspapers but it was said that they are being sold in sex shops! If it is true then would it not be encouraging (whats that term for people who get a kick out of having sex with animals?), I know the model isin't doing this but if it's being sold in sex shops could a few of it's buyers just be buying it for their own sick 'pleasure'.

I wouldn't call it cruel, but I would agree with distasteful. But at the end of the day if it makes them money I suppose it could be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

i heard someone from Ash on the radio....not sure who? lady with foreign accent? anyway the gist i got was that they were aware and happy with the calendar.
    The image in question is not photoshopped apparently. this model does a lot of work for PETA.

I too cannot see the target audience...too much for the average family I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

"Bestiality" is the word you were looking for, Zapperzy.

I have had a call from the press about this calendar this morning. I was asked if I would raise funds for EGAR with a calendar like that and my answer is a big fat NO!

I would not call it artistic or in any way connected with art, controversial it may be but the target group of rescue supporters and animal lovers will walk away from this.

And as to PETA.... no p*ke smilie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I wouldn't say there is any bestiality in that photo at all.

Breast feeding is not a sexual thing, to be nit picking the shot was done while the puppy was asleep. I was a bit shocked when I first saw the image but I think I get it now. Charity calenders and animal calenders in general are a competitive market. There are plenty of cutesy babby animal pics. I love the way the model is looking straight at the camera, almost daring you to have an opinion to it.

Its a different calender that will certainly get publicity.

I think Ireland has one of the lowest rates of breastfeeding in Europe so no surprise that nickers are getting twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Looks like a publicity stunt to me, and it has worked. As a calender to raise funds, it might not sell too many copies as people will be reluctant to buy it and stick it up on their wall. Conversely, all the hype generated by that article may result in much higher sales. Its a bold move.

To be honest, it seems very tongue in cheek and I can't see how people are disturbed by it but that's just my view. I think its funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I think Egar puts it best - bestality - breast feeding is what occurs human to human - this was intended to push boundaries in an Ireland now where relativism is abound - what if a famous gay chap was photographed feeding a pup one of their sexual organs - although now thankfully famous rich folk like Elton John have moved on to purchasing children ...

shameful to sexualise a pup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Good publicity stunt by the OP tbh. Sell loads more calendars now.

Advertisement