Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exercises/activities do you do for fun?

Options
  • 01-01-2011 6:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I know most people in this forum will be serious gym-goers, but I'm hoping you can help anyway! I'm trying to come up with activities that are fun and enjoyable, but at the same time will increase my fitness levels. I get bored after about half an hour at the gym, I just find it boring and it feels like a chore, but if I'm doing something fun I can keep it up for ages! I don't really like team sports like football or anything, unfortunately, so they're out.

So far, I've come up with horse riding, ice skating, surfing and rock climbing. I really like doing all of these things, but they're all pretty expensive to do on a regular basis, so I'm hoping someone can help me come up with something else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

Ippy wrote: »
    I know most people in this forum will be serious gym-goers, but I'm hoping you can help anyway! I'm trying to come up with activities that are fun and enjoyable, but at the same time will increase my fitness levels. I get bored after about half an hour at the gym, I just find it boring and it feels like a chore, but if I'm doing something fun I can keep it up for ages! I don't really like team sports like football or anything, unfortunately, so they're out.

So far, I've come up with horse riding, ice skating, surfing and rock climbing. I really like doing all of these things, but they're all pretty expensive to do on a regular basis, so I'm hoping someone can help me come up with something else!

personally i'd recommend joining a boxing club or kickboxing club. most clubs will have two types or members, the serious fighters and the fitness followers. so you won't be out of place if you're just looking to get in shape or work out. the workouts are only as strenuous as you make them yourself and it's really quite a lot of fun letting loose on the punch bags.

any club i've ever been to has had a decent mix of people between ages 16-50 both male and female. i'd say give it a go for one class and see what you think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well....I was much the same as yourself. Not a big fan of the gym at all....Was pretty unfit and out of shape. Went to the sports dropdown in the list at the top here and worked my way down trying to find something that would suit me. Eventually made it to the "self defence / martial arts" forum and had a look in there. A few years on I'm a professional fighter (really). I still can't really understand how people just "go to the gym". I think finding something you enjoy is the key to getting fit and maintaining it.

Anyway, that's my suggestion: Try the list in the sports drop down. Keep an open mind. Give a few things a lash and see what you like.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hi Ippy, you're right about the sports you listed being somewhat expensive. The other issue with them is they all have schedules/requirements that arent necessarily in your control (location to do them, groups for doing them with, training schedules) which can make it hard to stick with them. Also, while they'd get you pretty active, unless you get into them in a big way they're unlikely to have any big fitness impact on you. Nothing wrong with that, but they're more activities than a hard workout.

Maybe look into bootcamp (http://www.bootcampireland.com/), I know a few friends that have been doing it a few months now and enjoy it (and theyd of avoided the gym for the same reason as you). Alternatively you could look at joining a running/triathlon club and go running with them, pick off an even to target later in the year from runireland.com (running races/adventure races) and just go for it? Any sort of training with a group is a lot more fun than doing it on your own; group training doesn't have to be for a team sport :)

Hope that gives you some ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ippy

Actually the martial arts thing is a really good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that! I used to do kickboxing when I was a kid and I really liked it so maybe it's time to try it again!
    I still can't really understand how people just "go to the gym". I think finding something you enjoy is the key to getting fit and maintaining it.
    Yeah I definitely agree Khannie, I don't know why but I find it hard to feel interested about going the gym. I'd prefer even something like jogging with my dog in the park than just going on a treadmill!

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Edit: Off topic but why can't I thank people? The thanks button doesn't show up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Do athletics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

If theres public tennis courts nearby thatd be very cheap, effective and fun cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Hiking.
    Up proper hills.

If you are into that kind of thing there a good walking tracks all over the country and once you hit a decent sustained climb it will give you a nice bit of a workout. And there are usually a nice views up there.

Also if you are so inclined the same tracks can be jogged or run.
    The point being you have to focus more on where your feet go (less boring) and you get the views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i wouldnt call weightlifting boring , its a constant challenge and quite addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i wouldnt call weightlifting boring , its a constant challenge and quite addictive.

I know people who find golf and tennis fun....
    I find them both boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Log is great craic.

Anything strongman related is fun.

That's just me, anything that deviates from what you normally do, or what your focus is.

I like attmepting to put stuff over my head but it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

mountain bikings pretty addictive, expensive as hell though.
    Bjj or any martial art, very enjoyable and you really get alot out of it if you put alot in.
    running outdoors can be fun if you find a nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Log is great craic.

Anything strongman related is fun.

That's just me, anything that deviates from what you normally do, or what your focus is.

I like attmepting to put stuff over my head but it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea.

i agree with L logs/strongman stuff is a blast...

me...i like throwing things...mainly people...i also like being thrown...its kinda addictive..maybe thats just me...maybe im a little ****ed up in the head..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Kayaking is brilliant craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Hiking.
    Up proper hills.

+1 lucky to live near most of the highest mountains in Ireland, can be tough day at times, but always worth it when you reach the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I know people who find golf and tennis fun....
    I find them both boring.
    tennis is unreal boy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Table tennis can be good fun. Very good fun and you can work up a bit of a sweat too. Helps if you're good at it now (which I am).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Off topic but why can't I thank people? The thanks button doesn't show up for me!

You need to have a certain number of posts first. Ten or fifteen, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

hill sprints are good fu...wait forget I said that.

Hill walking is great craic though!:D

Advertisement