Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coldest january in 1000 years... what do ye think

Options
  • 30-12-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

they had this on the paper....... 1 month of arctic blizzards :eek: very low temps etc.......

how can they say this if even the models are pretty unsure wats goin to happen in a weeks time? i know it looks like it is going to get a bit colder over the next few days..

so what do ye think ?, a month of blizzards eh, the whole country would be in total shutdown...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Wouldn't believe a word of it.

Cool!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Did you see that in a Red Top?

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

NIALL D wrote: »
    1 month of artic blizzards

Jeeez ..as if the rigid blizzard wasn't bad enough :D

truck-737972.jpg

it's arctic :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its feeling a bit colder this evening, hope not- we were out of water for 9 days already.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I wouldn't believe it, it's like the snow storm that was forecasted before Christmas, and it never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

peasant wrote: »
    Jeeez ..as if the rigid blizzard wasn't bad enough :D

truck-737972.jpg

it's arctic :D

sorry , yes arctic;)
    cool pic lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

sorry , yes arctic;)
    cool pic lol....
    Thats not an arctic or an artic.

Sonovagun wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe it, it's like the snow storm that was forecasted before Christmas, and it never came.

yep , well true in one way , but many places got a foot and alot more snow , in ireland that really is the next best thing to a snowstorm for us..
    a foot of snow is far from the norm for us...

• Advertisement

Sitec wrote: »
    Thats not an arctic or an artic.

dont get yourself worked up about it ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

media like to blow things out of proportion. it was probably "possibility of a few snow flakes to fall in a few days january" turn into snowmageddon mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

utter crap to be honest. there was supposed to be loads of snow for the ten days up to christmas and there was'nt a flake!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

they had this on the paper....... 1 month of arctic blizzards :eek: very low temps etc.......

how can they say this if even the models are pretty unsure wats goin to happen in a weeks time? i know it looks like it is going to get a bit colder over the next few days..

so what do ye think ?, a month of blizzards eh, the whole country would be in total shutdown...

Do you have the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

The Mouse,The Mouse In the House...does not like the sounds of this cold weather returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

Is there any actually data backing this up at all?

(Please say no, I'm as fond of snow as the next person but enough is enough for one year)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Caitriona wrote: »
    Is there any actually data backing this up at all?

(Please say no, I'm as fond of snow as the next person but enough is enough for one year)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/169577/Winter-may-be-coldest-in-1000-years/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Star scaremongering. Apart from everything else wrong with this story, we don't have data from ireland from the little ice age and maunder minimum so it could never be proven even if the temp doesn't rise above 0 for the whole month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Doubt that it will be "worst in a thousand years" as that would require mean temperatures in Ireland and U.K. of about -5 C, in other words, four degrees colder than the month just ending (which may have been among the coldest half dozen Decembers in a thousand years).

I do think that it may be another cold month and possibly cold enough to extend the string of below-zero mean temperatures although more likely around 1 to 2 C (the normal values are between 4 and 5).

With that, there would likely be at least one and perhaps two periods with snow. The first of these seems possible by about the 5th. So this rather sensational forecast is going to seem more right than wrong to some people and the part of the media that gave it a look, but it would still appear to be an overstatement.

• Advertisement

time to stock up :D

indeed

indeed

Quoting yourself to agree with yourself? Interesting . .

whatever you're into . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Nah, I stocked up for the snow storm that never arrived. Still bags of grit and coal I'll never use.

Quoting yourself to agree with yourself? Interesting . .

whatever you're into . .:P

its the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Nah, I stocked up for the snow storm that never arrived. Still bags of grit and coal I'll never use.

Send em on to me buddy, I'll always use them!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I can see it being cold but not as cold as this over-exaggerated article suggests. Hope I'm not eating my own words in a months time :D

heres another link just to throw in the mix. Global cooling.:D;):p from a guy called Piers Corbyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyjsJJrr2I&feature=player_embedded#!

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    I can see it being cold but not as cold as this over-exaggerated article suggests. Hope I'm not eating my own words in a months time :D

ah im sure you wont have to eat your words their,if the articles correct you could just edit your post or delete it!

• Advertisement

ah im sure you wont have to eat your words their,if the articles correct you could just edit your post or delete it!

Cant edit or delete 48hrs after you make a post . .:P

Advertisement