Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavb2's Reading Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Siege of Krishnapur - J.G. Farrell 10/10

This was the first book in a long time I couldn't put down and I thought it a much better read due to the tense action and faster pace than Farrell's other work Troubles.

J.G. runs an extremely humourous thread throughout the narrative usually the reactions of the stiff upper lip English to some trivial point of protocol or decorum in the face of immediate death and destruction.
    The humour is extremely clever not throw a way one liners but a long build up to deliver a comical scene or incident.

The scene with the two officers cleaning the insects off Lucy was genius. Likewise the same two fighting the Sepoys against the running commentary of the Padre.

The characters though pompous twits, ladies far removed from the real world and educated idiots were diverse and likeable and you found yourself rooting for them. I think most of them changed over the course of the narrative

The book was very well written I'm sure like Animal Farm you could take it apart and analyse it to death.

Would make an excellent film, all in all a great read.

The Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson 7/10

Less well known than his other works this was still an entertaining read along the lines of Robin Hood etc

Set at the time of the War of the Roses there were a lot of different parts it almost read like a mini series the main protaganist battling against the odds.

What interested me and I think the book was censored afterwards is the completely ruthless and ammoral manner the hero carries out his business. Stealing a man's ship, killing someone who stood in his way when if written today I think a tap on the head would suffice etc etc.

But for me this is an indication of life Robert Louis times when perhaps life wasn't held in as high regard and moral codes more blurred

I liked the appearance of a youthful Richard of York and the early signs of his cruel personality.

An easy going plot but if you were to see the book literally on film I think it would be quite graphic in its violence.

The Whereabouts of Eneas Macnulty - Sebastian Barry 8/10

This was an extremely well written book the prose being very descriptive and poetic and there is a lot packed into the story.

The story does not have a conventional beginning middle and end but is a commentary on the life of Eneas.

Eneas is a likeable character and through all the drama he seems to be quite cool and unflappable. His friendship with Harcourt was touching and the dramatic ending worked well.

A satisfying read for anyone unfamiliar with Barry's work.

Jet - Russell Blake 7/10

The wonders of the kindle, I got this as a freebie and it seems Russell blake is a bit of a phenomenon when it comes to publishing e books. 14 hour writing days and 18 books published.

Anyhow Jet was an interesting book about an ass kicking ex mossad female agent who wanted out. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came to mind but it seems this was the author's intention to write a novel with exotic locations in the Bond, Kill Bill genre.

The story was fine and it was worth the read as it didn't tax the brain too much.

Fatherland - Robert Harris 8/10

This was an enjoyable read exploring the 'what ifs' of history and RH succeeds in creating a disturbing alternative new order. The book reminded me of Gorky Park, the main character being a detective on the outside of the establishment.

A minor weakness for me was that the big secret or cover up
    that the jews were exterminated,
    did not have much impact on me perhaps because this is now common knowledge.

The strength of the book lies in RH's description of a new order particularly the detective's relationship with his son.

• Advertisement

The Riddle of the Sands - Erskine Childers 8/10

A very enjoyable read very much a boy's own type of story.

Written in 1903 the prophetic opinion of the day regarding the inevitibility of war with Germany is quite eerie.

Childers touches on the navies of Britain and Germany, Germany's lack of colonies and Britain's stretched naval resources because of her colonies.

I enjoyed the stiff upper lip style of this narrative almost as interesting as the plot in itself.

Maybe a sign of the times the way books are structured today but the hero(es)
    had a bit of an easy ride not too much conflict or sticky situations to extricate themselves from.

I got a great deal of pleasure repairing to the drawing room in my velvet smoking jacket armed with a glass of brandy and a thick cigar listening to the shipping news playing softly on the wireless in the background.

Been away from here for a few months so a quick update:

Days of Atonement -Michael Gregorio 8/10

Co written this is an interesting crime novel set during the Franco Prussian war.

The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain 8/10

I enjoyed this tale of the devil but would probably have to read up on some of the more subtle meanings of the writing.

“Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war, and generally a famine somewhere.”

From the Earth, A Cry The story of John Boyle O'Reilly - Ian Kenneally 8/10

O' Reilly was part of the Fenian conspiracy of 1865 and transported to Australia from where he escaped and made a new life in America. He was involved in the rescue of other Fenian prisoners from Australia (see The Voyage of the Catalpa). I enjoyed the tale of his escape from Australia, the book changed to a slower pace when relating his time in America.

Currently reading The Man in the Iron Mask, 80 pages in and it's laborious. I rarely leave a book unfinished but with 400+ pages left ???

This was a good read but I think there were probably too many sub plots and superficial characters (win)which weren't sufficiently developed. It would have been good to see some of these from a different POV rather than the main character's.

Some aspects of the story didn't stand up to scrutiny and we're overly complicated
    the shooting in the trailer park, a pair of shoes left on a bridge over a river would have sufficed, the Marshall also got away rather too easily with his "murder" and kneecapping

Having said that the first half was enthralling one of those books where you can't wait to find out what's coming next.

Will probably try one of his others The Woods looks like a good story.

I admitted defeat with The Man in The Iron Mask

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett 7/10

Quite a large book depicting a story of medieval intrigue against the backdrop of the construction of a cathedral.

Some things didn't add up and seemed implausible also too many right place at right time coincidences. I couldn't quite warm to the characters and I don't think I've read any book of this length and felt it didn't need shortening. I think this could have been 33% shorter

A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs 10/10

I really enjoyed this story, John Carter a confederate veteran takes us on a very entertaining journey to another world full of imaginative machines, beings and creatures.

This the world of Zodangans,Helium,the Tharks, Thoats and his faithful ally Woola still not quite sure what he is.

This crosses many genres, science fiction, adventure and a new one for me inter planetary romance. The contrast between the old Wild West and the red planet is interesting.

I looked forward to coming home of an evening to pick this book up and wonder if I hadn't seen it so many times on film would I have enjoyed his more famous work Tarzan as much. like APoM Tarzan also hinges on that juxtaposition theme of a character of one world being thrown into another.
    Not sure of the significance of the mummified woman in the cave at the end though this is the first of a trilogy so maybe it becomes apparent later on . . . Or maybe not

• Advertisement

The House of the Four Winds - John Buchan 7/10

From the writer of The 39 Steps this was an enjoyable read very much like the famous Five had all grown up and were continuing their adventures. The story centered around Jaikie and his friends who all end up in the fictional European country of Evallonia. Set between the wars it has that cocktails, cigar and upper middle class period feel and atmosphere about it.

The plot was a bit too linear and one dimensional for me a few sub plots involving the other main characters would have made it more interesting. This was I think the third in a trilogy so maybe that had something to do with the limited roles of the others.

Would probably make a better film as there is a lot of action in it.

She - H Rider Haggard 7/10

One of the problems I had with this book was that every time I went to read it that song by Charles Aznavour kept coming into my head. The one one that goes " she may be the face I can't forget etc etc"

The book was interesting though I think the plot was given away much too early. the first and last action parts were good but in between too much introspective dialogue, too wordy.

This is a quest from Oxbridge England to darkest Africa a mission to unlock an age old mystery

Fluke - James Herbert 8/10

This was an unusual tale about a man that thinks he's a dog or a dog that thinks hes a man. I read many James Herbert books about 30 years ago The Rats (probably the best a story that made your skin crawl when reading) others like Shrine the Fog, the Spear and the Jonah always had that deus ex machina element but less so with Fluke.

An interesting plot, the characters a bit one dimensional and too much pre occupation with food but never the less a good tale which held the interest as you wanted to get to the final conclusion/explanation.

Magellan - Stefan Zweig 9/10

We've probably all heard the name Magellan but in my case didn't really know the detail of his achievement so if you're looking for an overview of the man then this book does the job.

I was quite surprised that the book was written in 1938 as it seems much more modern. The narrative tracks Magellan early history his struggle to find a sponsor for the voyage, through to the voyage and final return. It throws up many avenues for further reading such as the fate of the third ship.
    The Victory.
    The book is easy to read and flows well with minimal technical references though I do think a few maps would have been helpful.

The author Stefan zweig seems to have lived an eventful life,an Austrian born Jew he was a popular writer in the 1920s 30's leaving when hitler came to power. Zweig and his wife committed suicide in 1942

A

The Sign of the Spider - Bertram Mitford 8/10

This was an interesting read basically about a man leaving his wife and family in Edwardian England to seek his fortune in boom time South Africa a reasonably good adventure yarn made interesting by the setting.

A couple of quotes:
    He was one of those men who seem born never to succeed. With everything in his favour apparently, Laurence Stanninghame never did succeed. Everything he touched seemed to go wrong. If he speculated, whether it was a half-crown bet or a thousand-pound investment, smash went the concern.

She was talking at him.

This was a thing she frequently did, and she had two ways of doing it. One was to talk at him through a third party when they two were not alone together; the other to convey moralisings and innuendo for his edification when they were — as in the present case.

The Book Thief 8/10

This was a poignant and unusual story the character of Liesel was very good.

The Girl on the Train 8/10

Told from the perspective of three different women this murder mystery is a page turner.

5 Little Pigs - Agatha Christie 7/10

I enjoy a bit of AC and hadn't read this one a couple of strategic red herrings make it a bit contrived but not bad.

Kolymsky Heights - Lionel Davison 7/10

This was OK a thriller which gave a good insight into the Arctic. The plot revolves around a native American Indian who can speak many languages including Inuit, Korean amongst many others. He's asked to get in to a secret Russian installation in the Arctic to help an old scientist acquaintance.

On the whole there was too much detail for me such as
    I couldn't se the reason for the initial trip on the ship and constructing a car instead of stealing one seemed a bit pointless and far fetched

The Ghost Ship - Clive Cussler 7/10

Going in to book shops for the last 30 + years I've always seen books by Clive Cussler and Wilbur Smith so I picked a couple up the other day.

About 20 pages in to the above I didn't think I was going to finish it. If anyone's been in to the creative writing forum and seen the work of Padraig, I think The Madman is one of his then he could have easily based his stories on the above. The character is a kind of Bond, Indiana Jones, Adam West cartoon cut out hero

This story has characters called Kurt, Trent, Dirk and Gamay and everything is completely over the top. The attempted wise cracking between Gamay and her husband is excruciating to read.

So once I realised the book wasn't to be taken too seriously it actually wasn't too bad a story. I think you have to suspend belief and it did while away a few hours.

Malice Aforethought - Francis Iles10/10

I saw this on Amazon and it brought back vague memories of a mini series I watched in 1979 starring Hywel Bennet.

The book is a fantastic black comedy, a dark but very humourous 1930's period piece about a hen pecked husband who plans to bump off his overbearing wife.

No spoiler required as his intent is stated in the opening paragraph which did cause a bit of controversy as people's expectation at the time was that the killer is always revealed in the final denouement.

The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco 6/10

I know this book has had great reviews but after 528 pages I'm left with the feeling of what on earth was that all about.

I did Latin at school but there were scores of sentences in Latin beyond my comprehension.

All the monks seemed to be the same I couldn't work out who was who.
    I couldn't work out why William was at the monastery, why were the inquisitors there and Lord only knows what was going on between the King of France, the Pope and the emperor. What was the big deal about the book? Why was Jorge so protective towards it.

There was far too much inner dialogue and I don't know why Eco used so much irrelevant description when less would have had the same effect,
    unless it was a case of 'look how creative and descriptive I can be.'

Having said that the mechanics of the plot were quite good but I couldn't wait to get to the end of this one.

'Long winded, pretentious and bogged down in peripheral theological rubbish are a couple of other reviews.'

Maybe I needed a dumbed down version.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

pavb2 wrote: »
    The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco 6/10

I know this book has had great reviews but after 528 pages I'm left with the feeling of what on earth was that all about.

I did Latin at school but there were scores of sentences in Latin beyond my comprehension.

All the monks seemed to be the same I couldn't work out who was who.
    I couldn't work out why William was at the monastery, why were the inquisitors there and Lord only knows what was going on between the King of France, the Pope and the emperor. What was the big deal about the book? Why was Jorge so protective towards it.

There was far too much inner dialogue and I don't know why Eco used so much irrelevant description when less would have had the same effect,
    unless it was a case of 'look how creative and descriptive I can be.'

Having said that the mechanics of the plot were quite good but I couldn't wait to get to the end of this one.

'Long winded, pretentious and bogged down in peripheral theological rubbish are a couple of other reviews.'

Maybe I needed a dumbed down version.

I havn't read this but i did read the 'Island of the Day Before' and thought it was really pretty good. I've heard people who liked one won't like the other so maybe you'll like that instead :) . Still very highbrow, but i don't recall too much latin.

• Advertisement

wreade1872 wrote: »
    I havn't read this but i did read the 'Island of the Day Before' and thought it was really pretty good. I've heard people who liked one won't like the other so maybe you'll like that instead :) . Still very highbrow, but i don't recall too much latin.

Hi wreade I think the book divides opinion you either like it or loathe it. I read that the thing was to persevere with it but I had to speed read it from about page 250 onwards as I'd had enough.

The only other book and I don't consider TNoTR as bad but heading in that direction is 'One hundred years of Solitude' but again this splits opinion.

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King 7/10

The beginning of this story started out very well and then we got in to the conflict between our retired detective Hodges and the perp who was identified almost at the beginning.

Some things didn't add up for me like
    1. I don't think Hodges would have hit it off so quickly if at all with the millionaire Janey.
    2. Everybody seemed to get back to normality almost immediately after Janey's death which was surprising as this would have been a major incident.
    3 I don't think Jerome's parents would have allowed him to hang around with Hodges after what went on.
    4 it seemed like Brady embarked on a course of action and this was rehashed as our detective deduced it almost like for like a few pages later.

All in all this was an ok read as one review put it though the ending was very much like an episode of Scooby doo.

Desert God - Wilbur Smith 7/10

You always see Smith's books in book shops so I was interested in seeing what he was all about. This book is about Taita an Egyptian who basically keeps the empire together. Told in the first person Taita is quite conceited and after a bit this kind of jars.

The story is easy to read but something niggled away at the back of my mind. I had read before that most stories should have 3 disasters which create conflict and suspense allowing the protagonist to resolve the crisis thus holding the readers interest.

Everything Taita did was a triumphant success and I think that was the problem here. The book lacked a bit of credibility and the supernatural element was far too simplistic and unnecessary.

I might read another of Smith's but would probably look more closely at the reviews first.

The Lieutenant of Inishmore - Martin McDonagh 10/10

Mcdonagh stated that he wanted to write a play that would make Irish nationalists want to shoot him so conceived in 1994 The lieutenant of inishmore is a black comedy and satire on terrorism.

I had just finished reading 1100 pages of James Clavell's Shogun so wanted to read something shorter. I've had 3 of MM's plays on my shelf for a couple of years so turned to the above. This was an unexpected surprise for a short play the characters were colourful and the plot twists quite clever.

What works so well is what we think are throwaway comments and minor actions come back to have major significance later on.

The story was genuinely funny throughout and the gruesome bits so absurd that I didn't find them that shocking. Couldn't fault it.

I Am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes 7/10

This would be an OK holiday read and I was reminded of The Day of the Jackal but this story doesn't come anywhere near. The story centres around a spy hunting down a terrorist who has developed a new virus to unleash on the world.

There are too many coincidences and contrived plot lines which are far too convenient and stretch the limits of credibility like the eyeballs and the mirror. Would probably make a good film with some gratuitous editing.

The Lonesome West - Martin Mc Donagh 9/10

I like these plays as you can generally read them in one sitting the thing about The Lonesome West is that though the characters are exaggerated you can still identify with some of their peculiarities.

The play set in Connemara centres around two brothers who are continually fighting and the attempts of the priest to get them to live a more peaceful existence.

Similar to The Lieutenant of Inishmore these plays are like very violent and dark episodes of Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It wouldn't occur to me to read a play. Would you not rather see it on stage?

Absolutely echo beach but there's no reason why you can't do both. The format of these is very much like reading a short story, obviously a lot of dialogue but lets the imagination provide the colour.

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon 8/10

This would be a nice holiday read set in post Franco Barcelona it is a mystery about a boys search for the elusive Julian Carax, the author of a book he takes from a secret library. There are a lot of characters in the story and a few inconsistencies but overall it holds the interest.

• Advertisement

Shogun - James Clavell 8/10

Set in feudal Japan at the beginning of the 17th century this is a novel that describes the adventures of an English sailor Blackthorne who is shipwrecked. The novel describes a power struggle between feuding warlords and through Blackthorne's eyes we get an insight into the culture of those times.

It is an easy read but for me the motivations of various characters became a bit cloudy such as
    why the lady had to sacrifice herself, why was his ship so important to the Jesuits
    . The novel lost momentum at times but overall a fascinating and educational journey.

Advertisement