Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitcoin - ###Mod Note in 1st Post - Please Read###

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Where are those guys who keep posting the bubble chart gone? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

She's on the Up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Go bitcoin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I see companies like vuze are starting to ask for donations in bitcoin now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Arawn wrote: »
    I see companies like vuze are starting to ask for donations in bitcoin now

Linky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Linky?

open vuze and it pops up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No wait, this is the real bubble now. Don't ask me when it will pop though. I just know for definite that it's a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Does Boards.ie have any plans to accept BTC for subscriptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sorry I know this is a bit off topic, but is there anywhere one can directly buy LITEcoins with either credit card or paypal? All of the Litecoin exchanges I've seen insist that you first sign up for obscure middleman/third party payment services (like Paypal), I'd much rather find somewhere that'll sell them directly. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Sorry I know this is a bit off topic, but is there anywhere one can directly buy LITEcoins with either credit card or paypal? All of the Litecoin exchanges I've seen insist that you first sign up for obscure middleman/third party payment services (like Paypal), I'd much rather find somewhere that'll sell them directly. Anyone?

I don't think they're sold directly anywhere. You could buy a certain amount worth of bitcoin and then exchange it for litecoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Does Boards.ie have any plans to accept BTC for subscriptions?

Or tips jars...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0304/600063-bitcoin-atm/

Ireland is about to get its first Bitcoin ATM when the machine is installed in a cafe in Temple Bar in Dublin.

It is expected to be online in the next couple of days.

The machine will allow users to exchange cash for Bitcoins.

Users will need to have a digital wallet set up in which to store their virtual currency.

They will scan their digital wallet, insert cash into the machine, and then have their purchased Bitcoins placed into their digital wallet.

Bitcoins are currently not recognised or regulated by the Central Bank and so anyone buying the virtual currency is not entitled to any protection.

The ATM is being placed in Hippety's Cafe, Wine Bar and Gallery on Fownes Street by a company called Bitvendo.

It describes itself on its website as being owned by a consortium of investors spread across three continents.

The company said it intends to roll out several ATMs in Ireland and in the UK during this year.

Bitcoin is a virtual digital currency, which is not backed by real assets and has no central authorities governing it.

Each Bitcoin is introduced to the system slowly over time, surrounded by a complex mathematical puzzle, and can only be unlocked by experts using high-powered computers - a process known as mining.

This slow release guards against inflation, and a finite number of 21 million Bitcoins will have been released by 2140.

The arrival of the first Bitcoin ATM in Ireland comes amid growing scepticism about the stability of the currency, following the collapse last week in Japan of the world's biggest Bitcoin exchange, Mt Gox.

It filed for bankruptcy protection on Friday, saying it may have lost some 850,000 Bitcoins worth $477m due to hacking into its faulty computer system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Lovely unbiased article. Gox hasn't been the largest exchange for many a day. Blip.

I'm amazed that Bitcoin is holding it's value so well among all this turmoil. I really expected the price to crash right down to possibly double digits if countries started legislating against it or if large exchanges started to go under. Both of those have happened and it's still holding at 600/700 dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yup, I had thought this would be the biggest collapse since tulips, but was wrong. Bitcoin is holding its price over the last few weeks.

Now whether you choose to see that as half its December value or 60 times its value from 2 years ago depends on your outlook.

I see the Japanese are taking steps to regulate it. I suppose this can only help Bitcoin move from the perception that it is a speculative investment to a real currency alternative.
    Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I will give you 3 magic beans for you bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'll give you an imaginary elephant for your bitcoin.

id like to get me some of them Coin Bits. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Yup, I had thought this would be the biggest collapse since tulips, but was wrong. Bitcoin is holding its price over the last few weeks.

Now whether you choose to see that as half its December value or 60 times its value from 2 years ago depends on your outlook.

I see the Japanese are taking steps to regulate it. I suppose this can only help Bitcoin move from the perception that it is a speculative investment to a real currency alternative.
    Time will tell.

Let's see how the price holds up after the below news

Flexcoin shuts down after 897 Bitcoins hacked and stolen

• Advertisement

Thats another one that screams inside job to me. The technology to keep bank accounts secure has existed for a good while now, there is no excuse for lax security in that regard.

If the prices are holding fairly strong through the whole mtGox thing so I can't see this having much of an effect. Half a mill worth of bitcoins isn't really that much in comparison to mtGox's losses which if I recall correctly were close to half a billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Deal, if you can send the magic beans to me peer-to-peer over the internet, without depending on any 3rd party, ensuring that I can trust you also did not give them to anyone else. That's how we roll with magic Internet money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

damn, i really was hoping BTC would drop sub-$200 with the mt. gox meltdown. was going to buy a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Man Bitcoin is tanking. While Dogecoin is holding steady.

The dogecoiners sponsored Josh Wise in the NASCAR Talladega race last weekend.

Imagine tearing around the track at 200mph trying not to wreck yourself and having the doge meme staring back at you from the rear of the car in front. The internet is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

where is the place to go for bitcoins? want to pay as little transaction fee as possible.

bur wrote: »
    where is the place to go for bitcoins? want to pay as little transaction fee as possible.

I've used kraken.com and had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

bur wrote: »

try this if you want to buy localy and not use banks and ****e http://mycelium.com/

GSM charge 3 times the amount steer clear.

Advertisement