Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone else had a f*cking disastrous Christmas recently?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rang in new year 2005 sitting in a motor pool waiting for a truck, but that wasn't so bad.

NTM

Rang in the New Year of 2000 singing (to the tune of Old McDonald had a farm) "There's a flair in the air, there's a body in the wadi... e.i.e.i.o"..

All other's since have been anti climatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Water went so had to hit neighbours for water Christmas day, drove car down with milk churn in back of car, stayed for a while and came out to find car dead as a maggot, so had to push the car through the snow and into a ditch. Dragged water home with neighbourly help.
    Went this evening and went to rescue car, car is sicker than first though and is still in the ditch (only now with the windows open in the rain).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've had a ****ty Christmas tbh. Just expecting things to get worse too.

Flying home on Thursday and half expecting delays followed by the house being robbed for flooded or some shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

whycliff wrote: »
    I suppose it all started on the 20th when the heating in the house packed in.

You didn't wish some a happy Christmas in the "I hate Christmas" thread, by any chance, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Christmas day was fine, but I cant say the same for Christmas eve.

Manage to lock myself out of the house with no phone, hat, coat, gloves or scarf. because the phone was inside i couldnt call my landlord or anyone i knew to try and get me back into the house. Headed into work to call a locksmith and left the lights on in the car :(

Managed to get someone to jump start my car and the locksmith arrived after about 2hours. it took him all of 2sec to get into the house and cost me 95euro :(

I'm still waiting for the 3rd thing to happen (although the house pipes are now frozen, so maybe that is it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Yep wont get into it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I came home after christmas day dinner at my parents, to find a burst pipe in the attic. The water was pissin down through the ceilings and light fittings.

Spent stephens day taking sopping wet rockwool out of the attic.
    ill be spending tomorrow ripping up carpets and wooden floors. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

I came home after christmas day dinner at my parents, to find a burst pipe in the attic. The water was pissin down through the ceilings and light fittings.

Spent stephens day taking sopping wet rockwool out of the attic.
    ill be spending tomorrow ripping up carpets and wooden floors. :mad:

It happened to us yesterday, tank overflowed in attic and poured down the walls and light fittings. It was like the Amityville Horror with water instead of blood..thankfully the damage was nothing like you've had, just one night of candle light.

After we had mopped up, we got as drunk as skunks, thank Jebus for Lidl booze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Christmas day was, thankfully, uneventful although we woke up to a flooded kitchen yesterday morning - the plumber found 4 punctures in the pipes, caused by ice. We spent ages mopping up the water in the kitchen and trying to dry out some of the stuff sprayed by the water. We were too tired to go out for any drinks last night.

I went down this morning, with the intention of putting everything back in it's place to find another leak:mad: The plumber won't be here until the morning, hopefully that'll be the last we see of him. Still too pissed off to go out for a pint:(

I also spent a large portion of today and yesterday lugging a 5 gallon drum into the parents and mum-in-laws attic tank:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

This is perhaps a bit off-topic here but worthy of posting.

A friend works in a very good hotel in Dublin. I was speaking with him yesterday and he said that no less than five elderly people were dropped off in his hotel on Christmas Eve by their families so that they wouldn't be alone on Christmas Day.

{{{Shudder}}}. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Having the family over was the first mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Had a serious falling out with the OH on Christmas eve (and we almost never fight, never mind seriously). To make matters worse, I didn't see her again until tonight. That kinda wrecked my Christmas.

I've had man-flu/Columbian-flu/common cold since xmas eve.

Then my aunt died this morning.

Crappest Christmas ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i went to a party at a friends house....

drank enough whiskey straight to kill a horse.

destroyed the jacks and got carried home.

Merry merry times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

beanie. wrote: »
    Water went so had to hit neighbours for water Christmas day, drove car down with milk churn in back of car, stayed for a while and came out to find car dead as a maggot, so had to push the car through the snow and into a ditch. Dragged water home with neighbourly help.
    Went this evening and went to rescue car, car is sicker than first though and is still in the ditch (only now with the windows open in the rain).
    I read that in a Pat Shortt accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

^^^ I did same as Pdfile above Stephens' night :( Don't remember a damn thing.

I'll never forget one Christmas I won a litre bottle of whiskey in a raffle. At the time I didn't drink whiskey (drinking it now as I type though!... sensibly!). I gave it to my friend at the time, we're from the same street and his family are still neighbors of my family. The d*ckhead drank the whole lot. His sister came banging on my parents' door screaming and crying, my father ran up and found yer man with his own mother pinned to ground by the throat! :eek: My father had to drag him off and knock some sense into him.

I've since had to drag this same chap off of friends of ours on more than one occasion (and he's strong as an ox). He even went for me one night. Needless to say, we're not friends anymore.

Whiskey is the devil!

Bought a bottle of vodka nd drank it.. Quality Christmas.

The airports are currently full of people having really crap christmases this year, flights cancelled to places in the EU and Moskow was closed for some time too and worse.

In the end on Friday night I realised that my house and my goose was too big to be sitting around just spending christmas with the girls and the baby.

I drove to the airport and picked up the most distraught looking people I could fit into my car and took them for christmas in our house. 2 Guys from russia and 2 girls from france stranded by cancelled flights.

Best christmas ever. Really felt some what smug and good about myself in all the right ways, got the girls back to the airport on sunday morning, the russians and I polished off a crazy amount of vodka on sunday night before I stuck them in a taxi back to the airport Monday midday with a breakfast in their gut.

Christmas should not be something that happens to you in a good or a bad way I have learned this weekend I think. Christmas is something you do.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say fair fuks to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The airports are currently full of people having.

St Nick is dead, long live St. taxAHcruel

Ah hardly. It just seemed the right thing to do really. Massive big goose sitting there in the house, too much for three people, and the news showing picture after picture of miserable people who were facing Christmas looking at Ryanair and Aer Lingus staff running around being characteristically helpless. :)

Hardly a drop in the ocean in terms of stemming the tide of misery the airport contained but it felt good to do something and now I myself have avoided eating goose sandwiches for the rest of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have since learned that the Boiler is now leaking from the thaw, probably the pips are fupped.

Had a tip in the car on the 22nd.

Chest infection and bed bound on the 24th, 7 days of Antibiotics and Steroids. Cant have a hooch.

Tonight o2 signal around the area has packed it for the night and the Sky + is acting the pr*ck also coming and going.

All in all its been a fu*king **** christmas 2010.

What is your christmas horror story from now or christmas past?
    Aw you poor thing...

You have it way worse than people who cant afford to put food on their table and gifts under their tree's for young kids. Nevermind the homeless..

Just because a few materialistic crap ceases to function in extream cold you have a bad xmas? boo hoo.
    Theres people out there with real issues who dont moan as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It happened to us yesterday, tank overflowed in attic and poured down the walls and light fittings. It was like the Amityville Horror with water instead of blood..thankfully the damage was nothing like you've had, just one night of candle light.

After we had mopped up, we got as drunk as skunks, thank Jebus for Lidl booze :)
    Ugh, this is why I am not looking forward to seeing my gaff on Thursday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Have since learned that the Boiler is now leaking from the thaw, probably the pips are fupped.

Chest infection and bed bound on the 24th, 7 days of Antibiotics and Steroids. Cant have a hooch.

Tonight o2 signal around the area has packed it for the night and the Sky + is acting the pr*ck also coming and going.

none of them are related to christmas. infact, they all possibly are weather related, which is the same for everybody.

none of the above, with the exception of the heating (unless you totally wrote off the car) would particluary bother me....

your troubles are pretty small to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Bill G wrote: »
    I was made redundant 2 days before Christmas.

Hope you are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

heating went on the 19th, till xmas eve was staying in a friends house as a result, kept checking on the house. then went to relatives in clare on xmas eve (6 hour drive), they had no water all over xmas, got a phonecall from the neighbours the 27th to say pipes had burst and kitchen was flooded. my bedroom and my late mother's room (who only died in august so xmas was ****ty enough) were both drenched including a lot of my mams old stuff.

Im sat here in a cold house waiting for the plumber since yesterday, tried to clean up as much as i can but wallpaper, carpets etc etc will need replacing.....close to hitting the bottle.

Santa can go **** himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Same as you dude by the looks of it
    Sick as as small hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Overall an annoying christmas to say the least.
    Had my tonsils out on the 14th of December, was housebound until christmas day.
    Couldn't drink until Stephens day, as I was on antibiotics. Went out for a few drinks with my friends, hoping to see the back of antibiotics.
    Ended up in hospital again with a bleed, on antibiotics for another week...Grrrrrrr!!
    Got lovely presents on christmas day, so happy I was home for it but seriously annoying to not be able to drink.

Advertisement