Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2) and HDCP

Options
  • 27-12-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before.

My good lady wife got me Apple TV for Christmas - second generation small black box.

Great. I'm into that sort of stuff. One problem - my display is HD in resolution but is not HDCP compliant.

I've hooked it up to the display (our main TV - 50" Pioneer) and it works (menu, iTunes, photos, etc.).

I know that it will not display HD content but will it play movies that I download in SD?

I'm asking the question because I don't want to download and pay for a movie to discover I can't watch it.

We watch Sky HD via the component connection on an older Sky HD box and if the Apple TV works out I'll get an HD Fury but for now SD will do if I can view it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

If it displaying the menu etc I would bet it would display a rented movie. Try a trailer first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it displaying the menu etc I would bet it would display a rented movie. Try a trailer first!

Menu and trailers display fine. I rented a 99c standard definition movie just to test and the HDCP warning popped up and I could go no further.

I'll buy the HD Fury online today which will sort out the HDCP issue and will have the added benefit of displaying the HD movies in 720p.

I'm on the verge of having a good rant about HDCP but I'm restraining myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

i had the same problem i could look at youtube and trailors fine. when you rent a movie it stops at 5 seconds into it and says your hdmi connection is not hdcp compliant. now here the the answer to your problem!!
    Its your hdmi lead. i tried the hdmi lead off my xbox and hey presto! buy a new lead that is hdcp compatable and you will be on your way! remember its your connection not your tv.

Snowman10 wrote: »
    i had the same problem i could look at youtube and trailors fine. when you rent a movie it stops at 5 seconds into it and says your hdmi connection is not hdcp compliant. now here the the answer to your problem!!
    Its your hdmi lead. i tried the hdmi lead off my xbox and hey presto! buy a new lead that is hdcp compatable and you will be on your way! remember its your connection not your tv.

No - each device on either end of the HDMI cable must be able to perform the HDCP handshake. The Apple TV requests the handshake but my old display has no answer to provide.

The real problem is that my display is not HDCP compatible. It's almost 10 years old and was manufactured long before HDCP.

I bought the HD Fury and all is sorted!! It delivers a crystal clear picture. Some digital noise to begin with but I ramped up the digital noise reduction filter on the display and all is well.

Now I just have a download time problem!

• Advertisement
Advertisement