Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV - Outrageous Movie Download Time

Options
  • 10-01-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Just hooked my Apple TV after some HDCP issues.

I've previously viewed trailers with no problem after some buffering (5 mins or so).

Now I do expect some buffering especially on HD movies but I've just rented a 4GB HD movie and I'm told it'll be read in 70 hours!! WTF!!

I do have a couple of movies (SD) that I rented before I realised I had a HDCP problem - are they still in the cache and possibly slowing the download of further movies?

I've 8M Eircom which doesn't explain the 70 hours.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mooniall

Hi there
    sounds like there's a serious problem somewhere in your setup or broadband.
    I have my AppleTV running on 15 meg Upc and my wirelass clocks in at about 8 and I can watch a full HD movie about 10 seconds after renting it. HD trailers are instant.

Try connecting the Apple TV directly to your Internet and skip the wireless to see if it's a wireless router problem.
    Could be Eircom, from what I've heard there not the best!
    Or it could be a faulty AppleTV??

Other than that I can't suggest anything else but there's no way it should take that long to view a movie.

NM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mooniall wrote: »

Try connecting the Apple TV directly to your Internet and skip the wireless to see if it's a wireless router problem.
    Danbo! wrote: »

Thanks for the replies.

I rented an SD movie and watched it instead (after 10 mins from renting) but I left the HD movie loading in the background. I didn't want to click play in case it starts my 24 hour period.

I can't connect the CAT-6 cable to the Apple TV as both wireless points are too far away so I need it to work via wireless(g).

I must say that the SD movie quality was excellent - much better than I expected. I'd a bit of digital noise in dark scenes but switching the NR filter to high seems to have sorted it.

I'll get to watch the HD movie in a few days and hopefully the download speed was a once off. I'll post the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

crosstownk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I rented an SD movie and watched it instead (after 10 mins from renting) but I left the HD movie loading in the background. I didn't want to click play in case it starts my 24 hour period.

I can't connect the CAT-6 cable to the Apple TV as both wireless points are too far away so I need it to work via wireless(g).

I must say that the SD movie quality was excellent - much better than I expected. I'd a bit of digital noise in dark scenes but switching the NR filter to high seems to have sorted it.

I'll get to watch the HD movie in a few days and hopefully the download speed was a once off. I'll post the outcome.

You could try resetting your apple tv. Menu and plus button for about 6 seconds, I think (maybe menu and minus button). Then check for downloads in settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Are you using Google DNS? There have been problems with it and iTunes movie rental download times. Switch back to your provider DNS and you should see speeds improve again (e.g. UPC / Eircom etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I've given up trying to rent HD directly on Apple TV and instead rent on my PC and stream to the ATV. I've noticed HD movies appearing in iTunes lately so I download there and I know I can start watching the movie when it suits me rather than waiting 20 hours for Apple to decide when I can watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Can you rent hd via iTunes now? That's great news. I too gave up renting via apple tv as it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

ashleey wrote: »
    Can you rent hd via iTunes now? That's great news. I too gave up renting via apple tv as it was a joke.
    Yes indeed you can rent HD. I just checked iTunes and the top Rental is "Remember Me" for €1.99 as a HD rental.

Looks like a forgettable movie though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are you using the first or second gen? I'm on 8Mb from eircom and have no problems streaming a hd movie within seconds of renting it. In fact i didn't even know the did sd movies. All the ones i rent are hd.

That's good news. Thanks for confirming that. I can stop using sky box office now. I might even rent inception again and try and understand it. Makes a masters in maths simple

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I rented a movie via iTunes over Christmas.

Was told initially it was going to take days to download, but I left it and gradually it got quicker and eventually took under an hour.

That's still rubbish though as it's supposed to buffer and then be instant. I can't imagine the bandwidth here is suitable though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

That's still rubbish though as it's supposed to buffer and then be instant. I can't imagine the bandwidth here is suitable though

I have basic UPC broadband at home and it streams movies in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I rent HD movies on my Apple TV in a matter of seconds over an N wirless network with a 7Gb broadband backend.......
    even better to have a $ account too for a different range of rentals and cheaper too!

So something up in your config

I have a US account and a previously 5mb - now 10mb UPC connection - and either connection was perfect. HD movies streamed in seconds. I did find though leaving it two minutes initially would eliminate any lip synching which can happen ever so slightly (most people do not notice it)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I have Vodafone broadband, supposedly 24mb (hah!) and it takes about 1 hour 40 minutes or so to start streaming HD.

for those with the delay are you using the second gen apple tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

If your wireless access point is a distance from your apple TV, this will cause a bottleneck as the wireless will ramp down to a lower speed for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've 8M Eircom

8Mb Eircom is at best going to give you circa 600 to 400kb/s on the download. Also, depending on which package your on, its going to slash your download limit. You will need the unlimited package for HD content. In fact, depending on how much you rent, SD content will hammer the download limit as well.

I'd recommend wiring up the Apple TV by Cat 5e or Cat6 if at all possible. Wireless isn't great for streaming, especially if you have other devices on the network. Failing that, get a true dual band N router. The dual band is important as single band will default to the slowest connection made (i.e. standard 2.4Ghz speeds)

ted1 wrote: »
    are you using the first or second gen? I'm on 8Mb from eircom and have no problems streaming a hd movie within seconds of renting it. In fact i didn't even know the did sd movies. All the ones i rent are hd.

Second Gen Apple TV.
    for those with the delay are you using the second gen apple tv?

As above - second gen Apple TV.
    dingding wrote: »
    If your wireless access point is a distance from your apple TV, this will cause a bottleneck as the wireless will ramp down to a lower speed for reliability.

Nearest wireless access point is about 3.0 metres away. The other one is probably 7 metres or so.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    8Mb Eircom is at best going to give you circa 600 to 400kb/s on the download. Also, depending on which package your on, its going to slash your download limit. You will need the unlimited package for HD content. In fact, depending on how much you rent, SD content will hammer the download limit as well.

I'd recommend wiring up the Apple TV by Cat 5e or Cat6 if at all possible. Wireless isn't great for streaming, especially if you have other devices on the network. Failing that, get a true dual band N router. The dual band is important as single band will default to the slowest connection made (i.e. standard 2.4Ghz speeds)

I've an Eircom Netopia router connected by LAN to an older (circular shaped) Airport Extreme Base Station which relays the wireless via WDS to an Airport Express - both are G.

And yes, I'm expecting some communication from Eircom about the 'fair usage' policy but I'll address that as and when it happens ;)

I'm not in a position to watch the HD movie tonight but hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days and I'll report back.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback so far. It's much appreciated.

EDIT: I could move the Airport Express to the 240VAC socket beside the Apple TV and connect via CAT 6. Will this help given it still has the wireless relayed from the Airport Extreme Base Station upstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I've an Eircom Netopia router connected by LAN to an older (circular shaped) Airport Extreme Base Station which relays the wireless via WDS to an Airport Express - both are G.
    I think that will definitely be a contributory factor to, if not the main cause of, the problem. For HD content to be usefully streamed via wifi, you really should be using an N standard router. Even if the specs of G imply they should be able to handle HD, it simply isn't meant for that type of usage.

just ditch the air port. I've my ATV going wire less straight to the eircom router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

just ditch the air port. I've my ATV going wire less straight to the eircom router.
    That won't make any difference to him as the Eircom router is only G too. He needs an N router, or a direct cable link to have any real chance of getting it to work properly.

I'll try that if I still have problems only I've long lost the password word for the Eircom router but I suppose a call to Eircom will sort that out.

My Netopia is 4/5 years old. What's the chances of Eircom upgrading me to an N router?

Do you have a hard connection to the router or a wireless one?

Johnmb wrote: »
    That won't make any difference to him as the Eircom router is only G too. He needs an N router, or a direct cable link to have any real chance of getting it to work properly.

Just had a thought here.

My Sky+HD box is connected to the phone line so that means I have an Eircom/telephone connection at my AV set-up. I can move the whole lot (Eircom router and Apple Extreme Base station) down to the AV cabinet and use a LAN connection. Will that negate the need for an upgrade to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

And yes, I'm expecting some communication from Eircom about the 'fair usage' policy but I'll address that as and when it happens ;)

Depending on your package, they'll just charge you until your paying the unlimited package. So if you on the 30GB package, the most they'll charge for outside the package is €10 per month (As thats the cost of the unlimited packager per month) A
    EDIT: I could move the Airport Express to the 240VAC socket beside the Apple TV and connect via CAT 6. Will this help given it still has the wireless relayed from the Airport Extreme Base Station upstairs?

Still a wireless connection, so your not going to see a difference.
    My Netopia is 4/5 years old. What's the chances of Eircom upgrading me to an N router?

Eircom won't upgrade you. Any PC World or Currys have a good selection of routers. Just be sure to get a dual band router. Wireless N is a funny thing, there is draft and true N. You need real N to benefit. The best one I think is this one:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

So your connections would be:

Current Eircom Router > Airport Extreme > Wireless > AppleTV

The best solution however is cable. The throughput is just so much better.

Another option are these:

http://www.clearwire.ie/index.php?section=41

They plug into your power socket and link to each other as if they were an ethernet cable. Throughput is generally quite good, but you can only use one pair per house.

I've a d link dsl 6740r wireless n which is pretty good and I turn off all the other wifi gadgets and I've tried streaming to the apple tv 2nd gen using wifi and also via a netgear powerline connection and the buffering prevents hd use. Sd is fine and also streaming from my mac mini is fine so it's not my LAN problem. My vodafone at home 3mb dsl line is the problem as it seems to max at 2.3 mb with a ping around 350ms according to speedtest.net. Renting to my mac mini then streaming at home gets round the 72 hour buffering but it still requires a couple of hours forethought to rent an hd movie. One day....

have you got a filter on the line where the sky box is? This could be causing a problem. Get yourself a long patch lead and connect directly to the router. See if this fixes the problem. If it does then get a new router or run a cable.

but it still requires a couple of hours forethought to rent an hd movie. One day....

I don't really mind the foresight of an hour - it gives me time to get food ready/kids to bed/trip to off licence but any more is just a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement

have you got a filter on the line where the sky box is?

I've a filter contraption upstairs where the phone line splits to broadband and phone. I intend to bring this downstairs and plug the Sky HD box feed into it and and take the broadband out. It'll mean also moving the DECT base for the phone.

Advertisement