Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    That VOD service sounds like the new service that Sky are currently trialling for Sky HD customers with Sky Broadband. It is impossible to offer VOD using the current Sky red button interactive service.
    I assume they mean Sky Anytime/Anytime+. Still handy all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

any Band of Brothers, Pacific, Earth to the Moon or anything good on it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Eh have you read any of this thread? There is loads of good stuff on it. :)

On Sky's Twitter feed, they said Generation Kill, The Pacific and The Wire would be available on their Player. It is unknown though if you will still need the Sky Movie package to watch The Pacific.

Band of Brothers is repeated on TCM at the moment, so I assume they still have the rights to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

This channel is a good idea and a 'nice to have' if you're already a SKY customer.

Having said that ..

If you're into TV and do things like obtaining US TV content ahead of the IE/GB networks or purchasing box sets, then you're already up to date with what you want to see and the availability of this channel is unlikely, IMHO, to make you desist from continuing to use those sources.

And if you're not so much into TV and a SKY customer, you may not be that impressed to see first-run of Boardwalk Empire if you know nothing else about it, or a repeat of Season One of The Sopranos.

Me ? I'm not a SKY customer and what is to be on this channel is not of interest to me in that I have already seen those series that interest me and am still not interested in seeing those that do not (interest me).

IMHO, not a reason to switch to SKY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TarfHead wrote: »
    IMHO, not a reason to switch to SKY.

You would be surprised by how many people have heard of these shows but don't download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Anybody know what the song is on the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

While its an impressive lineup of shows, I'm disappointed at the severe lack of Oz in that schedule.

• Advertisement

While its an impressive lineup of shows, I'm disappointed at the severe lack of Oz in that schedule.
    It could still appear, I see Sky have now confirmed Deadwood would be on the channel too. I think a lot of the older content will be on Anytime/Sky Player.

I also took this from the Sky Atlantic Facebook page, important to note for current Sky subscribers hoping to get the channel:
    Sky Atlantic is free to Sky TV customers taking the Variety Pack. Free to other Sky TV customers until 31st August 2011. Sky TV from £19.50 a month for a year, HD Pack £10.25 a month extra. HD Pack required to receive Sky Atlantic in HD. If you're not already a Sky subscriber click here to find out how to join us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Wish hadn't switched to UPC now, but couldn't get decent speed on broadband with smart so took the all in package. Ok I save money not having channels I didn't watch, but I have been using a saying 'you're about as innocent as Lucrezia Borgia!' now people will know what I'm talking about, except the wife ! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Twitter account if you have any questions http://twitter.com/#!/sky_atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

I wish UPC would get their act together and start actually giving Sky some real competition. If they were smart they'd try to do one over on Sky and offer HBO itself, which is already available on the continent.

Jim236 wrote: »
    I wish UPC would get their act together and start actually giving Sky some real competition. If they were smart they'd try to do one over on Sky and offer HBO itself, which is already available on the continent.

The HBO on the continent is not as good as what you would see in the USA.

As opposed to what UPC currently offer which is....nothing.

Theres nothing stopping UPC doing exactly what Sky have done and starting a new channel showing HBO content and the like. Granted they wouldn't be able to show it first, but at least they'd be giving Sky a run for their money. Instead UPC customers are left with nothing, and chances are UPC will just piggyback off of Sky (yet again) and offer Sky Atlantic as a subscription a year from now.

Theres nothing stopping UPC doing exactly what Sky have done and starting a new channel showing HBO content and the like.

Sky having the rights for the UK and Ireland might be a stumbling block.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky having the rights for the UK and Ireland might be a stumbling block.

They have first show rights, not rights to the shows themselves. HBO aren't that stupid. So theres nothing to stop any new UPC channel just showing it straight after Sky Atlantic.

They have first show rights, not rights to the shows themselves. HBO aren't that stupid. So theres nothing to stop any new UPC channel just showing it straight after Sky Atlantic.

They have the rights to the whole HBO catalog. Sky would not pay £150 million for just first run rights.
    The launch of Sky Atlantic follows the broadcaster's audacious £150m, five-year deal to snap up the exclusive UK TV rights to US cable channel HBO's entire archive, new HBO programming and a first-look deal on all co-productions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/01/bskyb-sky-atlantic-mad-men

Fair enough, I must've misunderstood the co-productions thing to being for all the shows. If thats the case, does that mean channels currently showing HBO shows like RTÉ, 3e, Comedy Central etc. will have to stop showing them? Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I must've misunderstood the co-productions thing to being for all the shows. If thats the case, does that mean channels currently showing HBO shows like RTÉ, 3e, Comedy Central etc. will have to stop showing them? Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

Pretty much. After current contracts run out, all HBO shows will move to Sky Atlantic AFAIK.

Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

I imagine that the £150 million for five years is much more than what HBO would have gotten if their shows were being bid for individually.

According to Sky Atlantic's Twitter page, they actually do not have the rights to Seinfeld.

Dman001 wrote: »
    According to Sky Atlantic's Twitter page, they actually do not have the rights to Seinfeld.

Boo. :(

And no, I was not saying Boo-urns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just an FYI

got this from Sky Customer Services
    Thank you for your email enquiring about the Sky Atlantic channel on your Sky account.

Having checked your account i can see that you are subscribing to Sky + box you cannot view Sky Atlantic channel in your, it should be Sky HD box.

I'd like to tell you that the Sky Atlantic channel is been launching from 01/02/2011.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Service team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

So, you MUST have a HD box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Originally Posted by Sky Customer Services
    Thank you for your email enquiring about the Sky Atlantic channel on your Sky account.

Having checked your account i can see that you are subscribing to Sky + box you cannot view Sky Atlantic channel in your, it should be Sky HD box.

I'd like to tell you that the Sky Atlantic channel is been launching from 01/02/2011.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Service team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Sky Customer Services via Nigeria by the looks of it.

gatecrash wrote: »

So, you MUST have a HD box

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

If it is only available on Sky HD I reckon we burn down sky headquarters.

mikom wrote: »
    Sky Customer Services via Nigeria by the looks of it.

So english may not be the guys first language, he still answered my question

mikom wrote: »
    Not true.

You MIGHT be having a problem with the eeeeengleesh though....

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    If it is only available on Sky HD I reckon we burn down sky headquarters.

Looks like it from what the mail said...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

gatecrash wrote: »
    So english may not be the guys first language, he still answered my question

Incorrectly, but yes it was an answer.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/Will-sky-atlantic-be-available-in-non-HD/m-p/27459

Advertisement