Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new bottombracket.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Will the Alivio's and a 113mm BB do the trick?

I was about to say, Yes ............

........... but, real answer is, almost certainly:).

That'll give you a 50mm chainline and unless your bike is some very unusual frame geometry that will cover all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Is that the inner or outer diameter?

If you look at that Bikerader review of the UN54 BB you'll see most comments are singing the praises of square taper. But at the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice ............

Outer.

Ah jaysus, I'm really stuck now after reading those reviews.

I was about to say, Yes ............

........... but, real answer is, almost certainly:).

That'll give you a 50mm chainline and unless your bike is some very unusual frame geometry that will cover all options.

Okay, now I have to decide wether to go with square taper or octalink. Tbh, I don't think it will make much of a difference if its setup correctly, ie don't let my LBS's near it :rolleyes:

Okay, there's alot of good reviews on the square taper. I know what it's like and how to set it up properly (Stupid LBS...). Octalink has been superceded, so it seem's theres no point in getting that as if the BB goes, it might become hard to find a replacement. I can't see square brackets going anytime soon. But the thing thats nagging me is that a lot of people say octalink is better...

"3900+ hard miles with Octalink cranks and BB, not one problem."

"I've been on a DA 9-speed Octalink DAILY for 6 years and have only replaced the BB once (just to upgrade)."

"Octalink, in my opinion, bomb-proof. I'm going to go with the consensus and say that it was a shoddy installation."

"If Octalink has any weaknesses at all, it's not in the splines spindle/crank interface. However, you must make CERTAIN the splines are mated properly. It isn't difficult but it is essential. Done right, the interface is very strong. I have 12,000 miles on an Ultegra Octalink crank and bottom bracket with no play and no problems."

I want to try Octalink as its cheaper and something new, but I want it to last. This could come down to a flip of a coin :D

I know Paul would recommend the square taper and I'd have no problem getting it, but has anyone here used Octalink?

I'm going square taper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I'm going square taper :)

Don't do anything rash! Make sure you think about it:pac:.

• Advertisement

Don't do anything rash! Make sure you think about it:pac:.
    Yea, I'm not really doing anything rash considering I started a 3 page topic on board :P But I have thought about it, Octalink is being phased out and the cheaper stuff has gotten some bad reviews. The UN54 and Alivo Cranks (Square) have both gotten brilliant reviews. It's kinda simple now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I am glad you chose square over octalink. Far better.

Thanks again everyone. I've finally gotten the new cranks, bb and tyres (Slipped them into the order :P). Tyres aren't inflated in this photo I'd say :D

[IMG]http://mtb_kng.webs.com/100_0223.JPG[/IMG]

Advertisement