Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Postie's Predictions

Options
  • 24-12-2010 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

taken from Highland Radio website

"A postman from Donegal says the freezing conditions will be here for weeks
    Michael Gallagher forecasts the weather by spotting signs in nature.
    He reckons a horse grazing near the farmhouse means bad weather and the arrival of a robin tells him snow is on the way.
    Michael’s wife Margaret says he’s been telling his customers since early autumn there’ll be a white Christmas"

Seriously hope he's wrong - anyone else spotting signs in nature?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

evolve wrote: »
    taken from Highland Radio website

"A postman from Donegal says the freezing conditions will be here for weeks
    Michael Gallagher forecasts the weather by spotting signs in nature.
    He reckons a horse grazing near the farmhouse means bad weather and the arrival of a robin tells him snow is on the way.
    Michael’s wife Margaret says he’s been telling his customers since early autumn there’ll be a white Christmas"

Seriously hope he's wrong - anyone else spotting signs in nature?

Yes snow everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 evolve

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes snow everywhere

You are an observant one! :p

You are an observant one! :p

Seriously though i was just thinking the same myself, for years we barely seen any snow then last year and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

and this aint the end of it will be feb b4 we see any green grass.

Am curious about folklore of animals' behaviour being used to predict weather though. I've heard of swallows flying lower when rain isn't far off, cattle packing close together before a thunderstorm....I'm sure there's probably loads more like this...

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    and this aint the end of it will be feb b4 we see any green grass.

Yes its normaly jan-early feb when we seem to get the worst of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

It's when the horse and the robin come knocking at the door wanting to come in......that's when i'll start worrying!!!:eek:

Ali Babba wrote: »
    It's when the horse and the robin come knocking at the door wanting to come in......that's when i'll start worrying!!!:eek:

:D

In my own wee patch of nature, I noticed that the larger and smaller garden birds are tolerating each other whilst eating the birdfeed I put out - and today the birds were still feeding after dusk....it was the same during the extremely cold spell last January. Also the holly berries appeared much earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Seriously though i was just thinking the same myself, for years we barely seen any snow then last year and now this.

not sure if we did get snow last year. was last winters snow in jan-feb???

aboyro wrote: »

Yes i think it was so in effect we have had 2 artic winters in the same year.

• Advertisement

Yes i think it was so in effect we have had 2 artic winters in the same year.

and a great summer. i'll buy that for a dollar!!!!

The snow around my way last week

cularis2-12-10resized.jpg

Yes it will be needed after this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D

In my own wee patch of nature, I noticed that the larger and smaller garden birds are tolerating each other whilst eating the birdfeed I put out - and today the birds were still feeding after dusk....it was the same during the extremely cold spell last January. Also the holly berries appeared much earlier this year.
    Noticed the same. I also noticed the small birds are a lot more forward around people too. Well if I count as people. :D I always give a little chirp as I come out to refill their feeders and over time they've relaxed, but in this recent coldsnap, they barely fly away. The resident robin even more so. He takes advantage of the others nervousness and stands at my feet looking at me while I fill the feeders. I always drop some for him and today I tried hand feeding him. He landed for a brief second but thought better of it. :) They're cocky little fecks in general though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we had snow on the 5th of jan last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Nice picture, it also looks like the place was being nuked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The Donegal Postie made Sky News :)

we had snow on the 5th of jan last year
    2009???? or this year 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

sorry this year 2010,
    should have said last winter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What was so great about the summer 2010? It was a very average even poor summer but compared to 07,08 and 09 it just appeared to be a good summer.
    There was some reasonably good weather in May and early June but July and August were nothing months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Am curious about folklore of animals' behaviour being used to predict weather though. I've heard of swallows flying lower when rain isn't far off, cattle packing close together before a thunderstorm....I'm sure there's probably loads more like this...

On the one about the swallows: apparently when atmospheric pressure is lower, as it often is before rain, it causes insects to fly lower which in turn causes the swallows who feed on them to fly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

What was so great about the summer 2010? It was a very average even poor summer but compared to 07,08 and 09 it just appeared to be a good summer.
    There was some reasonably good weather in May and early June but July and August were nothing months.

That's what I would have thought, but on Met Eireann's website it says that 2010 was one of the top 3 WARMEST years on record... and that's taking into account the crazy freezing january weather, and the crazy freezing nov/dec weather! Can't get my head around it! :eek: :confused:

dvet wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought, but on Met Eireann's website it says that 2010 was one of the top 3 WARMEST years on record... and that's taking into account the crazy freezing january weather, and the crazy freezing nov/dec weather! Can't get my head around it! :eek: :confused:

Well is it an average over the year they gave or the highest temperatures reached. Even if it was an average, only a relatively small percentage of days would be below zero out of the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dvet wrote: »

It was Globally - maybe that was what they were referring to as opposed to little old Eire:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Is that a cessna citation? One of those blocked the main runway in Dublin Airport on Chistmas Eve :)

jd wrote: »
    Is that a cessna citation? One of those blocked the main runway in Dublin Airport on Chistmas Eve :)

ha ha no its a multiplex cularis, i have my own runway in the field for it:D

Min wrote: »
    Nice picture, it also looks like the place was being nuked too.

Yes a combination of the sun and the lens being scratched right at that spot gives us a nuclear detonation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

ha ha no its a multiplex cularis, i have my own runway in the field for it:D

I was going to point out that I was not aware cesnas had styrofoam canopies :D

Somehow the fact that you got these shots by fitting a camera to a model aeroplane seems cooler to me than if you were a pilot and took them from out the window :D

Fantastic pic! :D

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    I was going to point out that I was not aware cesnas had styrofoam canopies :D

Somehow the fact that you got these shots by fitting a camera to a model aeroplane seems cooler to me than if you were a pilot and took them from out the window :D

Fantastic pic! :D

It looks like styrofoam alright, but is nothing like it in reality, elapor foam they call it, very durable. There are some videos from that glider on my youtube site and on boards here and there.

Advertisement