Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 6BR Dublin Tournament - January 22/23, 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Good to see this doing well so far. I used to play a good bit of Tekken so I might enter one of these monthly tournies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

mantys wrote: »
    @all: Sorry for my English guys, but what I meant as a format is not a format as a console but if the tournament will be a double elimination format or everyone plays everyone and ... all that.;) The FORMAT is PS3!!!

@Nani: I can NOT come anytime sooner this time, sorry.:mad: The time is 12:30 till 13:00 registrations, the tournament starts at 13:00.

I just want to mention that I take this very seriously, I have prepared a special point system. There will be 10 monthly tournaments in a year (or 20 if enough interest), and a winner of the month announced. In November the tournament will have a special format for all the monthly winners with an actual prize!!! (can't tell you now, but it's pretty cool :cool:) December will be tournament-free. :)
    I will try to write a whole "story" about the tournament each month and put it on www.streetfighter.ie, but am a bit shy about what would it look like because of the language barrier.

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!

It makes it 4 times better.

TEST YOU WELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I will try to write a whole "story" about the tournament each month and put it on www.streetfighter.ie, but am a bit shy about what would it look like because of the language barrier.

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!

If you like, I can look over and edit the posts for streetfighter.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

23rd January, 2011 (Sunday)
    List at the moment:

1) Mantys (org,drp)
    2) Big Stupid Guy
    3) Danger_dave1
    4) Fin
    5) Ixayek_usurper
    6) Nani
    7) Shogun (%)
    8) Ezda
    9) Batman_oh
    10) RedDragonJack
    11) Aurongroove
    12) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    13) NoviGlitzko
    14) ...

Again, don't forget to bring your controllers and copies of the game!!!

Oh whoa whoa whoa, I won't be attending the one for January sorry :(

I was thinking one of the next few months :p

• Advertisement

Our first monthly tournament is over! I would like to thank to all 8 players who participated. Most of them travelled to Dublin just to be a part of it, some even took a day off from work! I hope it was worth it; to meet new players, enjoy the games and the excitement. And the prize! (not really)

We played two rounds of double eliminations.

Results after the first round were as follows:
    1) Aaron
    2) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)
    3) Eon
    4) Skeering
    5) NoviGlitzko
    6) James
    7) Nani
    8) Ezda

The pool created after allowed the winners to play against weaker players so it got even more difficult for new players, but to be honest, the final results after the second round were not surprising:

1) Triademan (K.O.I.F.)

2) Aaron

3) NoviGlitzko

4) Eon
    5) Skeering
    6) James
    7) Nani
    8) Ezda

Huge congratulations to Jeff for proving once more, who has the most experience in the game and becoming the Champion of January!

Excellent performance from Aaron, who after first two matches fell to losers' brackets after losing to Jeff and played his way up without a compromise, unfortunately it was not enough this time.

NoviGlitzko and his tricky Yoshimitsu entertained the crowd watching the matches from behind; if it wasn't for the last second wrongly pulled off Meditation Stance, the results could have been different.

Ezda and Nani, you were very unlucky today. I know what it is like to be nervous and play against the best players. Practice makes perfect, better luck next time. Don't let the results put you off from playing. I have never won against Jeff or Aaron, but if we don't try, we'll never learn.

Eon, Skeering and James showed their skills as newcomers to the scene, I hope they will join us next time and the organizational chaos didn't scare them away.

That's why I would like to apologize for messing up the first round, where some of the matches weren't supposed to be played and thank in this way to Jeff who pointed it out. I promise it will get better in the following months. If you have any suggestions, comments, please write me a private message, don't biatch about it here. Any organizational help is welcome.

On the other note, I would like to advise players that if they are politely asked to play their matches they should not prolong the waiting times for other players by playing additional matches on consoles that are needed.
    And don't be late!
    For the first tournament I think it wasn't THAT bad!:eek:

January Tournament Points:

1) Triademan (K.O.I.F.) 35
    2) Aaron 33
    3) Eon 27
    4) NoviGlitzko 24
    5) Skeering 21
    6) James 18
    7) Nani 14
    8) Ezda 11

February Tournament coming on 26/27(?) of February! Vote in the new poll and keep in touch!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056156225#

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

this could've definitely done with a greater number of casual players I thought.

I can see the tournaments working out quite well if more people show up. A bigger turn out would lead to a bigger collection of entrance fees, which could pay for less pathetic cash prize amounts, more consoles on the go at once and a better atmosphere etc.

I know for a fact Bigstupidguy and I will probably not be able to go as often as we might once semester begins and almost assuredly not be able to make it for next month's tournament (and I think I remember Noviglitzo saying similar) so that's three players potentially gone.
    It's really important people attend for themselves and take in the sort of atmosphere available there if they like the game.

the problem I foresee is people assuming they shouldn't go because they
    A, think they're rubbish
    B think it's a waste of money or a stupid way to spend an afternoon.

if it's cash you're worried about the entire tournament cost me a fiver (you pay 10, get 5 back at the end) for quite a long day of fighting, the who thing certainly qualified as a "day out" as far as I'm concerned.

If it's being rubbish you're worried then just rest assured that there's ALWAYS someone ridiculously worse then you and they can barely hold a joypad and there is ALWAYS someone Impossibly better then you aswell.

One quick issue with the tournament: they need to run on time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

On the other note, I would like to advise players that if they are politely asked to play their matches they should not prolong the waiting times for other players by playing additional matches on consoles that are needed.
    And don't be late!
    For the first tournament I think it wasn't THAT bad!:eek:

Not too bad at all! As Aurongroove said some more mid-level players would have been nice to help mix it up a bit more.

Mantys, I can appreciate that must have been frustrating but I think the only reason people were having extra matches between tournament fights was because most people just wanted to have a good time, play and learn as much as possible. It's kinda hard to do that in the space of a little tournament match when feel you really have to win etc... there were a lot of people there I wanted to play but never got the chance to.

Sooo... in the spirit of just getting better, learning and having some casual fun match-ups that can go on for as long as you'd like.... I'd like to suggest meeting up from time to time for a few hours anywhere (XGC or someones home etc.) to do just that! If anyone else feels the same way please contact me anyway you like.

Overall I'd recommend the tournaments to anyone though, regardless of how much you know about Tekken. All the people were really nice and supportive of each other's playing, and it's good to play against people who both force you to improve and remember to keep in mind that it's always for fun, which they (mostly) do. I'm gonna try attend again :)

I don't care if players want to meet up and play. :confused: I have NO say in that. During the tournament there were times when a console wasn't used at all for some time and some of the players just stood by. When there was a free console Aaron jumped in and just practiced on game ghost, as what happened was, he sometimes missed an aerial so he wanted to practice it. And players just stood by!
    You know, in the tournament like this, the less you mess around the more remaining money there is at the end. Just because the tournament ended doesn't mean that the players have to leave, they could have stayed and played. Or they could have played before the tournament. That's none of my business. Thay all got a fiver at the end. How about saying:"Is anybody willing to stay for another two hours to play more, just for fun?" No. Nobody did. Nobody challenged neither Jeff nor Aaron. I ONLY organize that tournament, and it doesn't mean that I want to.
    My "job" was to eliminate the stress for the players of caring who to play next and all that.
    Taking into consideration everything you wrote, players who think they are not good enough should play as much as possible, they can meet up anytime, how the hell can I persuade somebody to meet somebody to JUST play??? Again, that's up to the players. They know the boards, tekkenzaibatsu, they should make contact here and there.
    Seriously. Write here where do you live, what days you're free to play some sparring matches, get in touch with the players from the same area and get it going. Sooner or later you'll realise that you're getting better and the one tournament a month is getting more exciting and worthy the travel and the expenses. I don't know what else to say about it
    BTW, I have no idea who TheBigStupidGuy or Aurongroove is.

Basicaly, the tournament is kinda like "show us what you have achieved during the last month gamewise."
    If players play against other players ONLY during that one tournament, of course it's gonna be boring! Of course it's gonna be sh-ite! If you lose first two matches you're gone and you WILL have to wait until that particular round ends to play more.
    So my advice is: get in touch yourselves!!! Make it work. Streetfighters meet up every Saturday (I think), so if some people miss one time, they have a lot of practice in that month anyway! I am not surprised that they laugh at us. They were small at the beginning and they made it work!! However, their advantage was, that they are all from Dublin. (I guess.)

Eon is from the same country as Nani and Ezda and they didn't even speak to each other! (sorry guys, but I had to bitch about this!)

I live in Dublin, I can come ANY Sunday or Saturday to play anyone for even couple of hours. Just for fun or practice. So if somebody is interested and lives nearby, just give me a shout!
    If these tournaments don't work, there is nothing much else to do about it. My idea was, that maybe in some time it will get better, because players will know each other and so on.
    My fingers hurt.

P.S. We don't have sponsors. We don't have venues. We don't have plasma TVs on the walls for an actual audience to watch the matches, like in Korea. We don't even have somebody to record the final matches. For now 1st and 2nd place will ALWAYS be either Aaron or Jeff. Unless some people step up for the challenge or Simon teleports himself here. (Or players from Belfast tell him about us and he will be willing to come.)
    I can't raise the prizes, because that would mean asking the participants for more entry fees, and honestly, spending 20 euro for 3 hours of losing and looking around bored and frustrated, you must be retarded to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Sure come up to meet us when we're doing SF/BB casuals on saturday, it'll be nice to throw another fighting game into the mix. And you'll have some people guaranteed there.

And you could attract some new players into the Tekken mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

First thanks Mantys for organising !

I hink this was not that bad at all, we all had good fun,

Hope to see more player nect month, lets try to just keep it regular.

BTW if anyone want to play offline, or online, has any tekken question just send me an MP.

TEST YOU WELL Guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

@ Mantys

Wow sorry I didn't mean to upset you with my post. Sorry if it came across wrong I was just trying to help...

Thanks again for organising this whole thing we all appreciate it! :)

I'll be in touch with some of you soon to help up my game if you'll be so good!:D

@BigStupidGuy: It didn't upset me at all. I just kinda expressed my frustration with players not being able to get fecking together and play.
    @Fergus: I don't know why, I just don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Thanks Mantys for hosting the tournament, it was a lot of fun!

Advertisement