Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more snow eh? Met Eireann are a bunch of jokers

Options
  • 23-12-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

They've got it consistently wrong since the snow began.

Yesterday I heard there would be NO MORE SNOW until after Christmas, just very cold weather.

Really?

So what about that blizzard outside my window here in Dublin 14 that started 3 hours ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

please not another public service bashing ----BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOring

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

In fairness, they DID say more snow was expected today on the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

dublin met eireann forecast for today :

met: "Isolated snow and hail showers will continue to occur today with accumulations of between 1 and 4cm. However the level of shower activity will be much less intense than it was a few days ago and any disruption from fresh snow will be minimal. Patches of freezing fog may persist in one or two places. Otherwise the day will be dry and bright. Highest temperatures will generally range from 1 or or 2 degrees right on the coast to about -3 or -4 degrees. Light north to northeast winds."

im not seeing it...buts still only midday....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

quarryman wrote: »

Yesterday I heard there would be NO MORE SNOW until after Christmas, just very cold weather.

Really?

So what about that blizzard outside my window here in Dublin 14 that started 3 hours ago?

Your mistake was to put too much faith in what amounts to an educated guess. Even the much praised IWO got it completely wrong when it came to the "inland South East". This time last week they were predicting up to 30cm per day for the weekend. We got nothing. Not a flake.

Forecasting is still about looking at all the data and then taking a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

dublin met eireann forecast for today :

met: "Isolated snow and hail showers will continue to occur today with accumulations of between 1 and 4cm. However the level of shower activity will be much less intense than it was a few days ago and any disruption from fresh snow will be minimal. Patches of freezing fog may persist in one or two places. Otherwise the day will be dry and bright. Highest temperatures will generally range from 1 or or 2 degrees right on the coast to about -3 or -4 degrees. Light north to northeast winds."

im not seeing it...buts still only midday....

lol, Major international airport closing 2days before christmas is minimal disruption? They should know by now how potent the irish sea can be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

They have been on this positive message stuff since last weekend, they wheeled Gerry out several times and he said that after Tuesday night it would be mainly dry. This is not dry , travel will be severley disrupted becasue of snow today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Really?

Well, you heard wrong or you didn't listen to Met Eireann. Both the 6.1 and the 9pm forecasts last night said that there'd be snow through today on the east coast, up to tonight. Everywhere else would remain mostly dry.

Further FYI, they also said yesterday that there was a chance of snow showers on the east coast tomorrow (Friday, Christmas eve). So, now you have more warning.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

As I said on the other thread, due to the complex and varied drivers of our weather, I've come to believe that temps, but NOT precipitation, can be reasonably well predicted.

There's not a weatherman alive that could guess this mess right very consistently. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

touts wrote: »
    Forecasting is still about looking at all the data and then taking a guess.

:eek:

I'm sure there's "science" somewhere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Really?

They never said there would be no more snow. They have been quite accurate and honest in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Point out one other forecast that performed better than Met Eireann during this cold spell. I was an impossible task to ask anybody to have close to 100% accuracy over the last week, it was a forecasters nightmare. Yes they underestimated today's snow until yesterday, but what more do you want.

I still think M.T cranium is the best forecaster here in Ireland(well hes in Canada but you know what i mean), but he will admit he got the details wrong for this cold spell until the last couple of days. It is important to remember that M.T did flag this cold spell a number of weeks ago.

But in terms of this cold spell , Met Eireann have been the best around. Which is uprising as their generalness is usually their downfall.

With the respect to the OP, ive never seen you in the weather forums discussing details before, but yet you think it should be possible to have 100% accuarcy. Anybody who folows the weather in detail and really looks into the details in depth will never complain about minor details going wrong. Anybody tracking the details of this cold spell will realise how difficult it was. So unless you know a good bit about a subject it might be best not to throw the toys out of the pram next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

no fighting!!! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Here's the weather from last nights nine o'clock news:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1087694

At 26:03, there is a HIRLAM sequence of the precip in the Dublin area (among others)

Then, at 26:10, there's a chart telling us of snow showers bringing between 2cm and 5cm of snow in Leinster and East Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I heard differently on the radio. No more snow.

I'm wondering if the source was actually Met Eireann at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its possible that Met Eireann released a 500 word 2 minute forecast, but the radio station you were listening to compressed it into a 50 word 10second forecast at the end of the news. And missed a few key details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Talk to Joe so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

I heard the 7.55am forecast and I think John Eagleton said that the flurries from the Irish Sea would have a minimal impact today. So ME underestimated the intensity of snow flurries on the east coast this am.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lol, its usually rural posters complaining the forecast is Dublin-biased, then when they get it right (90% of the country is dry and sunny today) the Dublin posters are on complaining the forecast isn't specific enough for Dublin.
    FWIW its a glorious sunny day in Galway today, a balmy -1C :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

heavy snow shower in Portlaoise, and the sky looks dark and laden!! Me can't forecast , they said snow would be confined to the east coast yesterday, now they have changed it. lol

Folks don't be shocked if this mild spell doesn't materialise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It was on the news that Met eireann admitted that they didnt expect that heavy snowfall, if you watch the one news replay you can hear their explanations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah give them a break! They can't get it 100% right all the time, especially in hard to predict situations like these. Also, in general they have the Atlantic to deal with and as we are on the edge of Europe, everything destined for northern europe starts with us first. I think they do a great job in general. The snow was confined to a very small area of the country this time round. If it was an area of west Donegal or Mayo that had the ame snowfall, there woulnd't be half the uproar. What happend was very localised.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

chin_grin wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm sure there's "science" somewhere! :D

They use science to get the data that they base the guess on :)

I think a large part of the problem is the expectations of us the public. If you look at things like aviation or shipping forecasts, they list of % chances, 50% chance of rain, 20% chance of snow etc, which is what the data actually supports. But Joe public doesn't want that, we want to be told "yes it will rain", "no it won't snow" etc. The weather is far too complicated and there are way too many variables to support definitive statements like that all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

-10 at 10.35 this morning heading into Ballina Ice Rink. Ive never been so cold walking through the giant sand trap that is Tesco's car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

166398_485722194511_516229511_5727259_7173150_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

heavy snow shower in Portlaoise, and the sky looks dark and laden!! Me can't forecast , they said snow would be confined to the east coast yesterday, now they have changed it. lol

Folks don't be shocked if this mild spell doesn't materialise

that is the most uneducated analysis of a forecast i have ever read . . and there are a lot of them round here. Clearly it is impossible to know if shower could have more strength than previously expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Met Eireann were caught napping all morning tbh.

I saw a couple of their forecasts and they didn't give any indication of what appears to be blizzards, etc.

ME seemed to have been fiddling while Rome was about to burn this morning. They got caught with their pants down, Karina Buckely was confidently forecasting feck all but a few showers, then they had to wheel Evelyn out when the heavy snow arrived.

That said no one can accurately 100% predict the future, things are dynamic and can change at the drop of a hat and some people within the Pale are whingers who expect too much, e.g. we got a sudden major snowfall here a few nights ago and it was hardly acknowledged by the Pale-centric media.

Thems the breaks folks - deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I usually check Accuweather or yr.no weather Ireland. I think Accuweather is quite accurate and at least they have the equipment to predict beyond 10 DAYS.

Met Eireann always say they cannot predict that far ahead...they don't have the equipment. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Have ye seen that guy John Kilrane, the Dublin city reporter on the RTE news?
    EVERY DAY this week he has been on with the same sentence at the end of his report "Met Eireann are saying that snow will become more scattered and die out and then we will see more dryer and cold weather"
    The the next day he is on reporting from a snowy Dublin where another day of traffic chaos has been the story....
    id really love to know what goes on at the daily city meeting between ME, NRA and City Council ? That yank from the NRA saying salt supplies are coping well even though only main roads are treated

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

Quarryman your mostly right.....met eireann did say todays weather would be a big improvement on previous days with some lighter snow/hail and even rain affecting some leinster counties..well whats a shower...Im in Rathfarnham it started snowing at 10.30 this morning and has just stopped now its 4pm. I cleared nearly a foot of snow off the car at 1pm accumulated from previous days, there is at least 4-6" inches of new snow on it now 3hrs later...forecasters havent a clue!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

that is the most uneducated analysis of a forecast i have ever read . . and there are a lot of them round here. Clearly it is impossible to know if shower could have more strength than previously expected.

do you work in glasnevin?? Met Eireann have been caught napping. Portlaoise isn't the issue , the main hub Dublin is!! The airport is closed again, after they said it wouldn't be issue

Advertisement