Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas - New Year premium payments

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Which of these dates are you entitled to public holiday premium payments this holiday season if you work PT in retail?
    25th - 28th Dec and 1st - 3rd Jan?
    The whole public holiday on a weekend thing is confusing me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry for the delay in approving your post there - does this thread help at all?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108502

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I did have a look at the above and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125395 Still a bit confused. I think the 27th, 28th are the public holdiays in lieu of 25th, 26th and 3rd instead of 1st as they fall on weekends??

With the sales starting on the 26th retail employees would be working throughout 26th - 3rd. Would premium payment be made if working on the 26th or is it for the 28th? Or is it up to the employer to decide? Same with the 1st or the 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

When I worked part-time in retail it worked like this: the shop was closed 25th and 26th but I was paid for each day: 5.5 hours by my basic rate, so 11 hours pay. 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st- nothing extra, they're not public holidays or anything. 1st- public holiday pay. Double or triple or whatever your emplyer does. Mine was time and a half + 5.5 hours by basic rate. 2nd and 3rd- nothing extra, also normal days. Hope that helps. If you are working Christmas Day and Stephens Day I would expect you should be paid double at least- I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules about working them, particularly Stephens Day since that's new! This will be the second year of opening I think. If you are not working them and the shop is open or you're not working them because the shop is closed- you may get some pay, not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I think the 27th, 28th are the public holdiays in lieu of 25th, 26th and 3rd instead of 1st as they fall on weekends??
    no, 25th & 26th and 1st are the public holidays. 27th & 28th are in lieu, but an employer can give these 'in lieu' days at another time if it suits the business needs better.

Advertisement