Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephens day- no extra pay.

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have seen the above sticky but it does not really answer my question. What happens if you are working the 26th and getting nothing extra for it, but the people that are working the 27th are getting the double pay. Am I then entitled to an extra holiday day? As it stands I am told that although I am working the day I will just get my ususal 1/5 extra for the bank holiday and nothing else, it has really made me want to ring in sick that day:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Hi, I have seen the above sticky but it does not really answer my question. What happens if you are working the 26th and getting nothing extra for it, but the people that are working the 27th are getting the double pay. Am I then entitled to an extra holiday day? As it stands I am told that although I am working the day I will just get my ususal 1/5 extra for the bank holiday and nothing else, it has really made me want to ring in sick that day:P

So what line of work are you in?
    Do the people getting double pay do the same job as you?
    Are you full or part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Its a shop. I work part-time hence the getting the 1/5 pay for the bank holiday, the people who are getting the double pay on Monday will be doing the same thing I was on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

I assume you're not in a union so it really depends how much you have been working and afaik your age may be a factor.

THIS is a great site for any info on pay and conditions etc.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

There are people out there that would love to have your job that day just for any amount of cash to pay bills. Get over it.

And for that reason, its ok that I am getting walked over by my employer? but yeah sure I am lucky to have work 4 days a week for less that what I would get on social welfare... lucky me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Mmmuffin wrote: »
    There are people out there that would love to have your job that day just for any amount of cash to pay bills. Get over it.

predictable and stupid comment, just because jobs are scarce does not mean employees should be taken advantage of ( if that is the case in the OPs query)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

AFAIK Stephens day this year would just count as a normal Sunday and you're only entitled to what you would normally get on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

afaik, xmas day and stephens day are public holidays, the monday and the tues are bank holidays. your entitlements are to have public holidays off. if you work a public holiday you are entitled to double pay or a day off in lieu.

if in your case you normally work sundays and have built up an entitlement to be paid for that day them imo you should get paid double.

i think your employer may have it the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Should people that have a job work for nothing - yet those on the dole get paid to do nothing - another question perhaps!!

Dont be so hard on those lucky enough to be employed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

For Bank Holidays, if you've work at least 20 in hours in the previous 4 weeks you are entitled to a paid day off on that day or a paid day off within a month or an extra days annual leave.

Heres the kicker for this year as Stpehens Day falls on a Sunday, it is treated as a regular Sunday and Tuesday is now the Bank Holiday in lieu of Stephens Day (Monday is in lieu of Christmas Day). So unless you regularly get paid extra for Sunday work, you're snookered however if your working on Tuesday 27th , badda bing you should get the day of or another day off within the month and get paid for it.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the replies, so it seems I am entitled to nothing:( just wanted to make sure I wasn't being shafted as it is not an unknown thing to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Stephens day is not a bank holiday this year. the bank holidays are the 27th and 28th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mmmuffin

I don't see anything predictable or stupid about my comment. I do apologise for being honest and up front about the situation. Last night I gave money to some guy in Ranelagh who was begging in the snow, I'm sure if you asked him to work for a quarter of the posters wages that day he would. I don't agree workers should get fleeted either because of the economic situation, but seriously guys, I used to work for a €100 a week at one time in my life, trust me, any money is good money these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I don't see anything predictable or stupid about my comment. I do apologise for being honest and up front about the situation. Last night I gave money to some guy in Ranelagh who was begging in the snow, I'm sure if you asked him to work for a quarter of the posters wages that day he would. I don't agree workers should get fleeted either because of the economic situation, but seriously guys, I used to work for a €100 a week at one time in my life, trust me, any money is good money these days.
    until someone in power gets the finger out and reduces the dole, we are left with a situation where no, any money is not good money these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I doubt it, why would he work, when they can get free money off gullible passersby by "begging".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lads, the topic of this thread is entitlements on Stephen's Day. Let's leave the complex topics of benefit vs work to some other forum, or least some other thread.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you are part-time and for example work 20 hrs per week, this week you will work 20 but get paid for 24hrs (20% of you contracted hours pay for the b/h during that week. The full-time person will usually work 40 hrs will get paid for 48 hours (1 days pay for the b/h).

If this is the case, you are getting the right amount of pay for the week containing the b/h but in essence you are not getting a premium payment for the 26th.

(I think I have even confused myself with this one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

My employers are paying the 26th and the 27th as a bank holiday with no premium payment on the 28th even though that's an official B.H. I think that's a fair solution as working the 26th is far more of an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

The way I understand the working time act is the public holiday falls on the actual date 25th and the 26th which this year is a sat and a sun. For a lot of people who do not normally work sat or sun employer can go with the flow and give the 27th and 28th in lieu. However the premiums for working the public holidays are actually associated with the 25th and the 26th. Similarly an employer may choose not to assign the 27th and 28th as lieu days but add them as 2 extra days to be a taken at another time. To confuse this further custom and practise may mean something different but roughly equivalent can exist and if it does not disadvantage you there may be little value in making a fuss about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

St Stephen's day is a public holiday.

The rules

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

The OP has an entitlement as laid out therein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that 25th & 26th are the public holidays, regardless of the fact that they fall on the weekend. However as a result of them falling on the weekend, there is then 27th & 28th given 'in lieu', although these are not public holidays and therefore companies do not have to offer these dates, they could alternatively give 2 days at a later stage.
    If you normally work Mon-Fri then this year you would normally be off on Sat & Sun and therefore should get extra days off 'in lieu' of these days - the majority of companies giving 27th & 28th for these lieu days.

If OP works normally on Sundays then this complicates things, however if he would not normally work Sundays then the fact that he is coming in on a Sunday that is also a Public holiday, would by my understanding, entitle him to o/t rates of pay, or at least an additional days off in lieu of the Sunday.

However, given it is retail, there may be other reasons why those working are getting double time on the 27th & 28th, such as them having different T&C's in their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think this falls down to the cluelessness of management. They probably actually think the monday and tuesday are the public holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

This doesnt awnser the question....im getting sick of people saying this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/
    employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_
    in_ireland.html

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.
    Employees who qualify will be entitled to either the public holiday off as paid leave or one of the following alternatives:
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off
    The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.
    Part-time employees

If you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and you are due to work on a public holiday you are entitled to that day off as paid leave or one of the alternatives as listed above. If you are not required to work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay instead of the actual day's leave. Even if you may never be rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday.

Public holidays falling on a weekend

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This occurs in 2010 when Christmas Day (25 December) falls on a Saturday and St Stephen's Day (26 December) falls on a Sunday. It also occurs in 2011 when New Year's Day (1 January) falls on a Saturday. This means that Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 December 2010, and Monday 3 January 2011 are not public holidays. When this happens you are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements concerning employment and public holidays that is:
    • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    • An additional day of annual leave
    • An additional day's pay
    • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
    Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.

Advertisement