Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another great "Irish" gob****e from WWII/Churchill's Irishman.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Thoin wrote: »
    MarchDub, Ref: Wellington & The Stable & Horse Quote; If you accept in your own words "Of course O'Connell's words prove nothing else but that O'Connell said it -" Then why state "Wellington never said that" What proof do you have that he never said it and why be so absolutist about it without proof ?

OK then let me re-state: to my knowledge of having read most of what is on the record on Wellington there is no recorded proof that Wellington ever said that.

But I should add - that given Wellington's reluctance on Catholic Emancipation and the anger that O'Connell felt over this issue being delayed for so long, it is within that context that O'Connell would use it as a rebuke to Wellington's claim of Irishness.

But it's not a big deal for me - so I'm done with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Glad you liked the documentary - we addressed the point about Churchill family thinking Brendan Bracken was Winston's illegitimate son quite well I thought. Bracken also ordered all his papers burnt on his death - they all were by his loyal Chauffeur Alex Aley - it took him 8 days, despite being asked not to by Harold Macmillan (British Prime Minister 1960's), Lord Beaverbrook and apparently Churchill himself.
    Bracken also refused the last rites - a cousin, a monk, visited him , but Bracken sent him away - "the blackshirts of God were after me" he said "But I sent them packing".
    Lots of stories we couldn't put into the Documentary - no time.
    The title was originally "Brendan Bracken - Churchill's Secret Son" but we changed it as it represented only one aspect of the story.
    Adrian Bracken - Writer & Producer "Brendan Bracken- Churchill's Irishman"

I thought the doc. was well done and quite balanced, considering the time allowed.

Good call on the change of title. BB himself played on the illegitimate canard by admitting somewhat archly that ‘there was a family connection.’ Quite true, as his grandmother Margaret Ryan was distantly related by marriage to Winston’s maternal aunt, Clara Jerome.

I would be interested to know if there was any truth in the story that BB played a role in meetings with representatives of Dev’s government on silencing US ambassador Joe Kennedy’s pro-appeasement comments 1938-40.
    Also, FWIW, Waugh in Brideshead Revisited used some of BB’s traits as a model for Rex Mottram, suitor of Lady Julia.
    P.

Advertisement