Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOOOPID travel freeze :(

Options
  • 21-12-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting messed up/ missing OH's up cos of the travel freeze? I'm waiting for my GF to get home- she's been in China for 3 months, her Heathrow flight was canceled, she managed to get to Frankfurt and is now stuck there. :mad::mad::mad: I just know she's gonna get home just as I go down the country for Christmas. Grrr...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Don't worry. By the look of things out there you won't be able to get down the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Little ball of sunshine there!!!

I was just thinking that, they mightn't have her for Christmas, but they might have me! :rolleyes:

My sister's flight on Thursday was cancelled a few days ago. She now has to get a train from London across England to get the ferry back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm so tempted to just make a run for it and leave Dublin tonight, pretend to have the 'flu or something to miss work. I don't want to be stranded here for Christmas. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Well I'm not travelling anywhere T.G but I've been stuck in the house for a few days and I'm getting cabin fever. I fell on the ice last year...no damage done but that's the reason I'm housebound this winter. Hope it thaws soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dublin is depressing enough being a closed silent dead place on Christmas Day without all the missing people from celebrations.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

yeah, I am in the US on business and was supposed to fly home Saturday. The earliest BA can get me home now is Christmas eve. I really, really hope that no more flights are cancelled so I don't miss Christmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Awful situation for so many people. Boyfriend in UK, getting ferry over tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes OK.

Hope things work out for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm supposed to be working till 5 on Christmas eve. My sister is going home tomorrow lunch time. Everyone is angry at me right now because they think I planned to be working till Christmas eve, it's just how the manager rostered it. I'm gonna try and fix it tomorrow because the snow looks bad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm really worried that I'm going to be stuck in London for Christmas. My flight is on Thursday from Heathrow - it looks like Dublin is going to be more of a problem though, which means I can't even try to get a contingency flight from a different airport :( On the plus side, if I am stuck here the chances are my brother will be as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I'm hoping to fly from Amsterdam to Dublin on Thursday, most flights from here to Dub were cancelled today and they already started cancelling tomorrows so I'll just have to sit tight and hope for the best! I'll go mental if I can't get home :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fishie wrote: »
    I'm really worried that I'm going to be stuck in London for Christmas. My flight is on Thursday from Heathrow - it looks like Dublin is going to be more of a problem though, which means I can't even try to get a contingency flight from a different airport :( On the plus side, if I am stuck here the chances are my brother will be as well

Could you do the train and sail or bus and sail instead as an alternative?
    At least you might have company in your brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

On the up side, Dublin Airport will be working to keep the runways clear as much as possible. It's really only when the snow is coming down hard that they clog up and there's not that much expected for Dublin in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

My OH is flying in from the UK on Christmas Eve ... supposebly.

I'm still optimistic, but that's my nature I think.

I'm lucky in that I have all my family close by so at least I'll have them for Christmas, even if I have to walk in a blizzard I can get to them. :)
    jujibee wrote: »
    yeah, I am in the US on business and was supposed to fly home Saturday. The earliest BA can get me home now is Christmas eve. I really, really hope that no more flights are cancelled so I don't miss Christmas :(

How awful. My heart goes out to you and anyone else who may find themselves alone or away from their loved ones at Christmas. Good luck!

Stheno wrote: »
    Could you do the train and sail or bus and sail instead as an alternative?
    At least you might have company in your brother?

I had looked into it, the SailRail tickets were sold out the other day but appear to be on sale again... However, the airports seem to be ok this morning so I'm hoping for the best. My brother's flight is today. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I flew from Luton to Galway yesterday evening...biggest difficulty was getting to the airport to be honest, the amount of UK trains cancelled/delayed was a joke. Our flight was an hour late leaving, which was very acceptable given the mess the country is in. Point to note though, is that the plane had lots of spare seats, and Aer Arann have schedules extra flights, so why don't people consider trying them??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

dfx- wrote: »
    Dublin is depressing enough being a closed silent dead place on Christmas Day without all the missing people from celebrations.. :eek:

Try working Christmas day in a factory. Thats depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

biggest difficulty was getting to the airport to be honest, the amount of UK trains cancelled/delayed was a joke.

Good point, flights seem to be getting in today for the most part (assuming they can get out of their departure point).

Dublin Airport - Live Arrivals

My OH will be getting the airport bus into the city centre and I'll meet him there, bad enough driving anywhere a the moment but the airport will be a nightmare.

My flight has been cancelled because of the snow in Dublin :mad: Train and ferry it is then...

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I've a flight from Dublin to Liverpool tonight at 7. I'm hoping it doesn't get cancelled because if it does, me and my dad will be having pizza for Christmas dinner! :(

• Advertisement

My flight to London from the US is now delayed 5 hours. If it is delayed much more I will miss the last connection in London to Cork and will have to spend the night at the airport. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jujibee wrote: »
    My flight to London from the US is now delayed 5 hours. If it is delayed much more I will miss the last connection in London to Cork and will have to spend the night at the airport. :(

Make them switch you to a Dublin flight and bus it down? Got to be better than a night on the airport floor.

I'm so glad I'm not going anywhere this year. The last two trips were so stressful and I had a three-day sit-in in Gatwick/Heathrow only a few weeks ago so sitting at home for the weekend sounds like heaven.

Make them switch you to a Dublin flight and bus it down? Got to be better than a night on the airport floor.

I'm so glad I'm not going anywhere this year. The last two trips were so stressful and I had a three-day sit-in in Gatwick/Heathrow only a few weeks ago so sitting at home for the weekend sounds like heaven.

I wish I could, all flights either sold out or would cost me over 5 grand. Oh well, fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good luck to anyone trying to get home.

The airport is closed again, but this article in the Irish Times says that flights may operate on Christmas Day to clear the backlog, and Dublin Bus have posted on their site that they will operate busses from the airport to the city centre late on Christmas Eve and up to 10:30 am on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Ryanair and Aer Lingus cancelled all of their flights today and so now I'm stuck here for Christmas. I am really annoyed! All the presents are in Liverpool and we won't get to have Christmas dinner. :(

Tried rebooking our flight for tomorrow but all the flights are full now. Next available flight is on Stephen's Day. Spent 8 hours out in the airport before we were told the flight was cancelled. Then we spent 2 hours trying to get out of the airport but it was mayhem! At one point there were 3,000 people stuck in a corridor! And no-one was told why or what was happening. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not a happy bunny!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

It's like the Apocalyse, the end of the world, it's just awful.

I'm facing into the drive home today and am dreading it, took my brother 6 hours to make it home the other night.

But at least I can get home, I feel so bad for those people stuck in the airport.

My sister got home on Wednesday. She had to get the train across England, the ferry to Dublin and then the bus to Galway. Took her a grand total of 18 hours to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The flights might all be booked up but both Shannon and Stansted airports seem to be operational.

I got as far as London and am now stuck until the 26th. Oh well, Christmas alone in a hotel :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I missed Xmas in the end, got home late last night and have no clue where my baggage is. And despite what Aer Lingus said I was not able to rebook for free on their website after they cancelled my flight and had to buy a new one for €400.

Never want to see snow again :mad::mad:

Advertisement