Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow a no show, what about the extreme cold then?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

All ireland all time low is -19 point something. . . Could be broken in the north anyway if not the republic. .

-19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881

I wonder if Met Eireann only use temps in the republic for thier all time lows etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

the coldest i've experienced was -18, which was accompanied by 40 mph wind.
    Where was that Nacho?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

-13 in Sligo at present.

Brrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Gas frozen? I never realised that would even happen, that's bloody scary.

Gas installer tells me that doesnt happen with Propane, just Butane and possibly butane / propane blends. What he said does freeze on propane (well all gas) tanks is the regulators (T Piece metal thing with gas lines going into it) due to moisture build up. His advice was to pour boiling water over the regulator to get it to free up. However I fear in -10 or lower that would likely freeze even worse (adding water).

Im thinking if I have to Ill use a Hot Air Gun on the low setting (metal fatigue is also a concern).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ardmacha wrote: »
    Castlederg -17.7°C 23:00

a tad chilly.

That beats the North's previous record of -17.5 from 1979.

Although there is according to the UK met office an unnoficial record:

" -19.4 °C was recorded on 23 January 1881 at Omagh (County Tyrone), from a screen mounted on a north-facing wall. Due to the non-standard nature of this station, this is not accepted as the official minimum temperature record for Northern Ireland."

It will be interesting to see how low it can go tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

grrr ...I knew it ...accelerator cable frozen on the car :mad:

I'm about 5 km from Colooney Roundabout where it is currently -15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Gas frozen? I never realised that would even happen, that's bloody scary.

My own gas froze here with the cold 2 wks ago that was at about -5/-6 or so, was pouring hot water on my cylinder every morning, the ttssss sound of it defrosting was slightly disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

accompanied by 40 mph wind.

Thats curry for ya :D

I once drove (stupidly) to Sun Peaks ski resort in Kamloops, British Columbia from Vancouver just after xmas 2001. There was 15 foot of snow on either side of the road and down the middle. It was -25 when going out for a beer when we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I went to lapland 2 years ago to go snowboarding, and my god the cold was unbearable...mainly because there was no fecking daylight (only about an hour of sun a day in january in northern lapland). At 11 o clock one of the evenings the temperature was -41 C (less than 1 mph wind speed). When you breathe its like tiny bits of glass going into your lungs, within 5 mins your extremities are numb, after an hour outside you can actually feel your body begin to shut down. During the day (if you can even call it that) its about -20 but its surprisingly not that bad. Can't explain it, it just doesnt feel that cold. I think the saving grace is the lack of pretty much any wind, at least while I was there.

If you ever want somewhere different to go skiing I recommend it. Absolutly spectacular place, truely another world. Its not known for its skiing but I can tell you now its the best place I've ever been. This means the slopes aren't jammed and prices are really good (compared to places in europe). I'm luckily enough to have a Finnish friend from university who is from just south of lapland so I will definatly be going again, despite the cold :D

Ohhhhhhh, and santa lives there :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Where was that Nacho?

Canada.

Canada.

Irony of ironies is... we didnt move back to Canada this November cos we didnt want to arrive in winter. I could cry im so cold. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Central heating pipes were frozen in my boiler house this morning.

Bloody cold, -12.5 in the car. Ballymote, Sligo

Slidey wrote: »
    Central heating pipes were frozen in my boiler house this morning.

Bloody cold, -12.5 in the car. Ballymote, Sligo

Im having similar issues today too. It was -10 two days ago and -8.6c last night (Athboy, Meath). I have a Well but insulated the Well house and put a 250w thermal bulb on Temp Controlled Plug (these are great, I could only find them in B&Q). Bulb comes on at +2 and below (changed to +3 and below now to get more heat in there). My Well house pipes didnt freeze however on the house side no water. So it must be frozen in the ground after the pump. And there is SFA I can do about buried frozen pipes.

And concurrently, for no obvious reason, my CH water pressure has dropped from 1.1bar to 0.25 bar. Boiler (garage mounted, with regular 80w bulb keeping it warm, changed to a BBQ 600w patio heater for now) still fires up, but this is well below its correct operating pressure.

Im hoping for a couple of hours of positive temps today, my own Weather Station has it hovering around -1.1c at the moment... Met.ie say sub zero in Meath all day... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Im having similar issues today too. It was -10 two days ago and -8.6c last night (Athboy, Meath). I have a Well but insulated the Well house and put a 250w thermal bulb on Temp Controlled Plug (these are great, I could only find them in B&Q). Bulb comes on at +2 and below (changed to +3 and below now to get more heat in there). My Well house pipes didnt freeze however on the house side no water. So it must be frozen in the ground after the pump. And there is SFA I can do about buried frozen pipes.

And concurrently, for no obvious reason, my CH water pressure has dropped from 1.1bar to 0.25 bar. Boiler (garage mounted, with regular 80w bulb keeping it warm, changed to a BBQ 600w patio heater for now) still fires up, but this is well below its correct operating pressure.

Im hoping for a couple of hours of positive temps today, my own Weather Station has it hovering around -1.1c at the moment... Met.ie say sub zero in Meath all day... :(

That 0.25 shouls still be sufficient for your boiler to work bro, sorry to ehar about your frozen pipes, used to happen in our old house, real pain that.

peasant wrote: »
    All sorts of things you take for granted stop working properly ...cars, door hinges, windows, letter boxes ...anything that's outside and has moving parts will be either very stiff or non-functional altogether.

That's the flashing stopped for a while so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Already -9c here in Mayo. Looks like last nights -17c here in Foxford good be gone tonight?

Biglad wrote: »
    That 0.25 shouls still be sufficient for your boiler to work bro, sorry to ehar about your frozen pipes, used to happen in our old house, real pain that.

Yeah you are correct, its seemingly "ok" and increasing pressure to .07bar after running a while.

Pipes going to the household water didnt defrost today anyhow.. :( -8c now at 17:30. High today at 13:30 of +0.1... lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

clocked -17 up a hill n North Commemara this am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Truff Puff wrote: »
    clocked -17 up a hill n North Commemara this am!

much snow there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My local record of -12.9c has gone from monday morning, currently -13.7c, Im expecting it to drop futher around sunrise and now the fog has lifted.

Looks like Katesbridge beat Castledergs record -17.7 already
    Lowest min -17.8 Katesbridge ,so offically the Coldest temperature record for Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Castlederg -18.6

And Castlederg has reclaimed the title belt already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

And Castlederg has reclaimed the title belt already

If it can keep up that performance the overall all time title is within reach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Honestly. I'd say come January we're going to see temperature records shattered!

Honestly. I'd say come January we're going to see temperature records shattered!

December could turn out to be the coldest month on record. I know kilkenny was -0.5 in jan 63, and the climate station here is currently on -1.5, so something could be broken there!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Left home today and it was -11. It was that most of the day. Never experienced such low temperatures in the middle of the day in Ireland before.

agri_temperature.gif

agri_diffTemperature.gif

and even more weirdly . . .sub zero 10cm soil temps!!! :eek:

agri_soilTemperature.gif

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

December could turn out to be the coldest month on record. I know kilkenny was -0.5 in jan 63, and the climate station here is currently on -1.5, so something could be broken there!

Oh no I know tat. I mean were going to see a whole new level of cold. Under -20. I base this on nothing but my own personal experience that January is always colder than December!

Advertisement