Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest "Whoa" moments in video gaming (Possibly Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh I got one, the end of Resident Evil 1, when the Tyrant is beaten for the first time, you activate the self destruct and have to make it out of the lab, then the Tyrant appears again, quite why Brad waited nearly 5 minutes to drop the bloody rocket launcher is beyond me, but that was tense as fcuk.

also, MGS3, the ladder, nuff said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Fahrenheit.

What a fantastic game that was

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

secret level 2 of Doom 2 (lvl 32) when you open the door..

This scene from DMC3, sheer, utter lunatic brilliance, laughed my ass off watching this:

• Advertisement

Or the Regenerators from Resi 4, having to use the thermal scope to pick the parasites off them as they shuffled their way closers, some tense moments.

An oldie, but the first time you saw Sub Zero rip someones head off, spinal chord and all, tell me the young version of yourself didnt think that was the coolest thing you'd ever seen in a game :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Has to be GTA 3 for me. Words couldnt describe how in shock I was playing that game! My favourite one for that reason alone!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Homeworld: The return to Khaarak after the Hyperspace test. Finding your entire homeworld burning, with only 500,000 people alive in sleeper pods. Adagio for Strings is the perfect music for it as well, and it works perfectly.

System Shock 2: The Polito reveal shocked the hell out of me. Totally unexpected, and totally freaked me out. Shodan was probably my all time favourite 'bad-guy', and moments like this are the reason why.

Half Life 2: The intro with the G-Man. Hadn't seem anything like it before, and really set the tone for the game. Excellent character.

Shadow of the Colossus: The fifth, and first flying Colossus. Absolutely breathtaking moment, in an amazing game. I knew they were big, but this brought it to another level in scale.

Freespace 2: Dive Dive Dive! One of the later missions in the game see's you investigating a shipyward for Sathanas class vessals, basically the biggest ships you can imagine. You warp in, and immediatly have to dive and hit your burners, or one crashed right into you. Totally unexpected moment.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time: The Master Sword scene, where you jump forward in time to find the world pretty much in ruin. Totally unexpected way to do the old Link.

Honourable mentions go to Revan's reveal, Aeris' Death, COD4 Nuke and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

call of duty 2 when you have the tank battle just waiting for your commander to give you the go is a great moment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgjpyehMec

not a game really but the 3D t-rex/ray on the ps1 demo was amazing to me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEVKzZNQDY

and last but least not a massive whao moment but id never seen ireland in a computer game before so i was amazed :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYt9Nhw__bc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

and last but least not a massive whao moment but id never seen ireland in a computer game before so i was amazed :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYt9Nhw__bc

I thought that link was going to bring me to Broken Sword! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

MGS: Twin Snakes the Rex vs Ninja cutscene.

I held my breath at 3.54.

+ The First time I took part in a full invasion in Planetside. No other game has ever come close to the Planetside experience. And the sequel starts its Beta early next year :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Aleste - SNES: Realising that the peck in the background that was slowly getting closer in stage 2 was a massive spacestation that compromised half of the level.

System Shock 2: SHODAN reveal

Final Fantasy 6: The halfway point

Tomb Raider on the PC with my Power VR card

Mario 64 for the first time

GTA 3 for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

A fairly recent one, but I dont think its mentioned here

Left4Dead The first time I seen a 'tank' , cars flying through the air etc, I didn't know where to look or what to do :P

Actually talking about L4D, I dont own it but played it on a mates pc, the first time I encountered a Witch, bloody hell that was intense.

Me:"whats this chick doing?"

Friend: "Yeah shes harmless......fire your gun...."

Me "Ok....ARGGGGHHHHH!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Johner wrote: »

Probably one of the biggest woah moments for me was when
    they killed John near the end
    . No game I had played had done that before and it definitely unexpected.

I remember the first time we got a 3D card installed on our home computer - the first game we ever played with it was a demo for some motorbiking game. It was completely mindblowing to see graphics like that; the game used ragdoll physics and I remember just crashing different ways to see how the body would react. Was definitely a pretty big "whoa" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GTA3 - Going to my friends house and seeing him play, a the first real sandbox environment, didn't have to do anything with the story to enjoy it. Just beating hookers with baseball bats was amazing...as sick as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Probably one of the biggest woah moments for me was when
    they killed John near the end
    . No game I had played had done that before and it definitely unexpected.

The end of Crisis Core on the psp was
    VERY like that. You were fighting hoards of troops and then when you finally cop on and get the sh!t kicked out of you you give up and die. THAT was unexpected cos I was rooting for 'im. Although should've known!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mrm

Initial impacts - Switching on first game on PS1 (Resident Evil). Switching on Halo 3 and Gears of War on next gen conole after being away from gaming for about 6 years. Really wowed by the progress.

Scale: Many God of War 1 & 2 moments when the camera zooms out - especially the section swinging across the area with the collapsing columns in GoW 2. Exiting the sewers in Oblivion. Some environments in Resistance 2 and Tomb Raider 1 (epecially looking down from one of the really large statues).

Gameplay elements: Escaping from the exploding ship in MW1 opening chapter. Psycho mantis entering my living room through the vibrating controler and his telepathic powers. Pulling a rooster from my satchel in Zelda; OoT to waken some sleeping creature - lol:D. Encountering the first necromorph in Dead Space - 'run, run away...RUN...lift doors close, lift doors close, lift doors please close.....'. First encounter with dogs in RE1.

All the above were 'whoa' moments to me but only in the context of gaming. But none compare to my one 'real' whoa gaming moment - being invaded for the first time in Demons Souls. Was not prepared at all, actually never even saw the 'bring invaded' message.:eek: An invader just appeared right beside me - 'WTF is this?' Finished him but was shaking afterwards and felt like the room temperature had dropped a good few degrees. Couldn't continue the game that night. Wife said I was white as a sheet afterwards. Affected me beyond the game. Doubt it will ever be matched.

God, I remember this part and being told to zoom in with the camera and thinking, "I don't want to, I don't want to. Oh God! Oh bloody hell!"

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I think I was around 9 years old when I saw this running on a neighbours shiny Amiga 500 - triggered me into getting an Amiga, which led to a PC, which led to a career in computers I guess :) See, parents, games are not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time on the N64. I thought it was the first time that a large, open world environment was so perfectly illustrated graphically.

Other notable mentions:

GTA 3. I remember putting it on and thinking "whoa, the PS2 has finally arrived".

Shenmue. The same as above but for the Dreamcast.

Aeris dieing in FF VII. Couldn't believe what had just happened.

GTA3 is a big one for me as well, "oh look a fire truck, can I? I can! does the hose work, yusss!"

first time in Vice City getting a chopper and flying over the city to the sounds of Billie Jean, or sitting on the beach in a car listening to talk radio, did anyone else get bored in the GTA games and actually drive with the traffic? i used to, stopping at red lights, staying on the right hand side lol, what a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

krudler wrote: »
    GTA3 is a big one for me as well, "oh look a fire truck, can I? I can! does the hose work, yusss!"

first time in Vice City getting a chopper and flying over the city to the sounds of Billie Jean, or sitting on the beach in a car listening to talk radio, did anyone else get bored in the GTA games and actually drive with the traffic? i used to, stopping at red lights, staying on the right hand side lol, what a game.

I thought i was the only one who did that. :)

I also used to jump on the roofs of cars and stay there while they drove around.

Also i once landed a helicopter onto the back of a moving truck. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Forget everything i said in my OP, this beats them all hands down. Man listen to that music track. As a kid i would boot up Turrican 2 and leave it on during the title screen and play with my transformers or whatever while i listen to this track, awesome'ness

At 2:11 the movie kicks in and details the storyline. STORYLINE!? Games had storylines!? Blew me awaaaaaay. Not to mention being able to shoot at angles rather than only in a straight line, groundbreaking technology. Listen to the music right the way through as you go about browsing boards or whatever and when its finished come back here and tell me just how freaking awesome it is by thumbing this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Bubs102

Resi 3, just casually walking around and seeing Nemesis burst out of the building and being terrified for the rest of the game

Spiderman, fecking around climbing to the top of buildings before it got very boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Final Fantasy VII intro video for me. After he got off the train I was waiting for some dialog and just sat looking at the screen going whats he doing, this is getting a bit silly now he's not moving. Then kinda ohhhhhhhh WOAAAAHHHHH :)

First Ridge Racer was first game that felt like you had brought the arcade home. And sliding around the corners was completely insane. Loved every minute of it and to make it more special I didn't own a Playstation at the time so I was renting the console + game out from the local video shop.

First time seeing Prince of Persia on friends PC, it looked so real. First Gran Turismo video replay, jaw hit the floor, ended up playing that game as much for the replays as the game itself initially.

First time shooting people in the head in Unreal Tournement. First time playing a speed circuit on Trackmania doing loop de loops.

Playing Counter Strike beta on the mansion level was prob the biggest, thinking, this is the best game ever esp after turning off the lights in the house lol and seeing the gun fire from outside. First GTA more so can't believing the stuff you were allowed and meant to do. IK on C64 thinking it was the greatest game ever made, 3 people fighting in one match can you believe that!

Advertisement