Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US mother sues McDonalds over Happy Meals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AntiMatter wrote: »
    :pac: I'm only saying.

I've watched another few minutes, in which a professor gives people meals cooked with fast food ingredients, but not telling them so and they comment on how much better than fast food it tastes.

That doesn't give any insight into the nutrional value of the food.

The vid make for amusing watching, but a scientific study it is not.
    I don't recall them making any claims about the nutritional values of the food. The focus is more on the perception of fast food (that the same food can be described as 'cheap and greasy' or 'healthy and tasty' depending on where the consumer thinks it came from, and also on the movement to get fast food severely restricted/banned by dead-eyed killjoys. It's the latter focus I find most interesting, and the fact that the show emphasises personal choice and responsibility in food choice; that fast food companies don't come into your house and force you to eat burgers. You choose to, and parents choose to let their children, eat the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Why is it so difficult for so many Americans to take responsbility for themselves? Are Americans really that incapable of making the right choices, are they that dumb that they have to be brainwashed into doing things that they don't want to do?

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hmmm, wonder could I sue my mum for smoking whilst pregnant with me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

However in this case I think she genuinely has a point. There is no reason why Personal responsibility and Corporate responsibility can not co-exsist. They are bad for you and DO intentionally market to children.

So what's the Late Late Toy Show, then? Informative programming for the parents, or a paid product placement targetted at all the kids who are allowed to stay up late that one night in the year to watch it?*

Or all the advertisements in between the cartoons on Children's TV? They tend to be for board games more than for beer. You know it's the kids watching the cartoons.

Or, heavens above, what if you are walking up the shopping street with your young one, and there's this wonderful, appealing, official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time right at Ralphie's eye level. There's something targetted right at kids.

This isn't new. Heck, they make movies about such things. Over the history of Man, kids have wanted things that parents have said 'no' to.

And, if the Happy Meal toy is banned, then what if the parent actually wants to give Joey a treat as a result of his grades in school and go to get one? Because some people can't control their kids, all of a sudden I need to drive to San Mateo county to get a Happy Meal?!

NTM

*LLTS is still shown, right? It's been a few years since I've looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a really easy way for parents to stop their kids from asking them for Happy Meals all the time.

Give them cigarettes. The nicotine will kill their appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

F.uckers like this woman are the reason cereal has no toys anymore.*

*May or may not be the actual reason but grr either way!

Advertisement