Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Climate Change" aka Global Warming in the media

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Tomorrow they'll be claiming that the severe cold snap is due to human made global warming.... by they I mean the supposed top scientists (who get paid a lot of money to prove the myth)... where do we draw the line folks? They've built a mini economy out of it worth billions... it is even political suicide these days to deny it (even though it isn't proven) and it is bad science... media outlets employ so called "Global Warming Correspondents", you think they are going to deny it... not a hope! One day we'll all fry, the next we'l freeze to death! Make up your minds! and don't give me bs about a chunk of ice breaking off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was going to draw the line here, but changed my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's a loada bollocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Tomorrow they'll be claiming that the severe cold snap is due to human made global warming.... by they I mean the supposed top scientists (who get paid a lot of money to prove the myth)... where do we draw the line folks? They've built a mini economy out of it worth billions... it is even political suicide these days to deny it (even though it isn't proven) and it is bad science... media outlets employ so called "Global Warming Correspondents", you think they are going to deny it... not a hope! One day we'll all fry, the next we'l freeze to death! Make up your minds! and don't give me bs about a chunk of ice breaking off

I find your ideas fascinating, and would very much like to subscribe to your (scientific) newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Look up the meaning of climate and weather.

Climate encompasses the statistics of temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, rainfall, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological elements in a given region over a long period of time. Climate can be contrasted to weather, which is the present condition of these same elements and their variations over periods up to two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Where has the Gulf Stream (which usually protects our little island from this sort of weather) gone?

Thats a change in the planets climate. Or "Climate Change" for short.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

even though it isn't proven

please show some credible proof that it hasn't been proven coz there's plenty of credible proof that it has been proven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Look up the meaning of climate and weather.

Climate encompasses the statistics of temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, rainfall, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological elements in a given region over a long period of time. Climate can be contrasted to weather, which is the present condition of these same elements and their variations over periods up to two weeks.

All the stats indicate a natural cycle since 1500... also, CO2 is not the cause as the oceans give out 75%, 15% by plants and animals and a meager 0.1% by human consumption of fossil fuels... please re-evaluate your position... (oh wait you can't... because you'll loose your careers :O)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Skepticism re climate change I can understand; anger/paranoia re it to the point of attacking those who disagree... comes across as fear of it being true/denial.

All the stats indicate a natural cycle since 1500... also, CO2 is not the cause as the oceans give out 75%, 15% by plants and animals and a meager 0.1% by human consumption of fossil fuels... please re-evaluate your position... (oh wait you can't... because you'll loose your careers :O)

Whether it's a natural cycle or a man-made phenomenon is irrelevant. We are experiencing climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Trying to prove or disprove climate change because it's suddenly a bit cold is sort of missing the big picture.

DeVore wrote: »
    Where has the Gulf Stream (which usually protects our little island from this sort of weather) gone?

Thats a change in the planets climate. Or "Climate Change" for short.

DeV.

Gulf Stream is still there... actually OMFG, has boards also recognised the myth? Let us know please Dev on the boards.ie position...

Dudess wrote: »
    Skepticism re climate change I can understand; anger/paranoia re it to the point of attacking those who disagree... comes across as fear of it being true/denial.

But this is what the Global Warming people do... intimidate and threathen... if you deny it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

But this is what the Global Warming people do... intimidate and threathen... if you deny it
    Example please.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gulf Stream is still there... actually OMFG, has boards also recognised the myth? Let us know please Dev on the boards.ie position...

We dont have a position. We're a platform for discussion. We're discussing it. You started this discussion.

DeV.

Macha wrote: »
    Example please.

There are many examples... I don't want to insult your intelligence by suggesting some... look it up!

DeVore wrote: »
    We dont have a position. We're a platform for discussion. We're discussing it. You started this discussion.

DeV.

Really, because you came across as one of the anti everything brigade... do you agree the west should be telling people in the third world how to make power environmentally friendly? Who the **** are we to be telling them that! Thats the UN TOP SCIENTISTS FOR YA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are they secret stats?
    There are many examples... I don't want to insult your intelligence by suggesting some... look it up!

I just Googled 'secret stats' came up blank on climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Really, because you came across as one of the anti everything brigade... do you agree the west should be telling people in the third world how to make power environmentally friendly? Who the **** are we to be telling them that! Thats the UN TOP SCIENTISTS FOR YA

Is the new thing to get liquored up and start ranting about the UN TOP SCIENTISTS?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Are they secret stats?

I just Googled 'secret stats' nothing came up on blank climate change.

TRY HARDER HOMER :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Is the new thing to get liquored up and start ranting about the UN TOP SCIENTISTS?

That would be a yes:
    TRY HARDER HOMER :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You're insulting my intelligence by expecting me to do your work for you. If there are so many examples, it shouldn't take you too long (If I had €1 for every time I've written a version of that sentence..)

Snakeblood wrote: »

It has nothing to do with booze, and loads of them top scientists left the UN, because they couldn't subsribe to it... bad science... in protest, but there names are still their....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Can we tell em to learn from our mistakes?
    Is it wrong to give em a head start on sustainable power?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It has nothing to do with booze, and loads of them top scientists left the UN, because they couldn't subsribe to it... bad science... in protest, but there names are still there....

You seem very exercised without any evidence

If some guy came onto a website and started shouting about how Cold Fusion was being suppressed by the Zionist media conspiracy, I'd give him about as much time.

Unless he had the protocols of the elders of zion with him of course.

You're insulting my intelligence by expecting me to do your work for you. If there are so many examples, it shouldn't take you too long (If I had €1 for every time I've written a version of that sentence..)

Look, I feel I have nothing whatsoever to prove... neither do the Global Warming brigade because it is all bull****... but here is one link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3IhIUBghPc

red menace wrote: »
    Can we tell em to learn from our mistakes?
    Is it wrong to give em a head start on sustainable power?

You want to stifle 3rd world development because of myth?

Look, I feel I have nothing whatsoever to prove... neither do the Global Warming brigade because it is all bull****... but here is one link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3IhIUBghPc
    You want to prove that climate change is "bull***" and seem to think a Youtube link is sufficient evidence...oh dear...

You want to prove that climate change is "bull***" and seem to think a Youtube link is sufficient evidence...oh dear...

No, I couldn't be bothered trying to prove something that does not exist....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

You want to stifle 3rd world development because of myth?

Nope just use whats available readily.. Solar, wind, water
    Maybe the 3rd world can become the 1st world in renewable energy research

Who are them top UN scientists I would be interested in reading up on them

Advertisement