Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

NPWS Ag consultant out of farm checking on progress:
    "Mighty feckin nettles with a corncrake calling within".
    Audit passed....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Only came across the Nature & Bird Watching forum in the last few weeks :o
    I'm a livestock farmer and joined the GLAS scheme last Autumn. I know our wild mammals but other than the more common birds/fauna (& weeds!!) I couldn't identify/name the others let alone most of the insects..
    I'm looking forward to learning from this forum about how to assist biodiversity on my farm within the constraints of a commercial enterprise.

Mods - if I have posted in the wrong thread could you move it to the appropriate one - I couldn't find a Chit Chat thread.

(Mod Note: Moved from the Pictures thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just in from watching 8 to 10 bats flying around the garden. Great to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I was in an old quarry today, and saw the resident Sand Martins mobbing a large bat - very bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

I think the Swallows are on the move in the Swords area, this evening a group of 50-100 drifting south over my house. It's always sad to see them leaving on their incredible journey.

• Advertisement

Bsal wrote: »
    I think the Swallows are on the move in the Swords area, this evening a group of 50-100 drifting south over my house. It's always sad to see them leaving on their incredible journey.

Oh they are not leaving yet. That would just be a gathering of birds after fledging and moving to a food source. They will be around for 6 to 8 more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Urban fox calling from 5 am to 7.30 am. It's the first time I've heard a fox calling that late in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Pine Marten carrying prey caught on my trail cam twice in the last 2 weeks. Looks like there might be a den nearby and young ones being fed:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Woud be nice to see the pics if you can post them half cocked. I have a den near me too but no film of them yet.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

What's the story with all the stories on the radio bout pine Martin's attacking people/cornering people in sheds???

• Advertisement

TopTec wrote: »
    Woud be nice to see the pics if you can post them half cocked. I have a den near me too but no film of them yet.

TT

It's 2 short video clips - not sure how to post them.

Plus - what it's carrying in one clip might cause some consternation in certain quarters if you know what I mean.

What's the story with all the stories on the radio bout pine Martin's attacking people/cornering people in sheds???

Silly season crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sky full of Swallows here this evening; not on the move, just feeding.

Flying ants are out, 2 hawkers having a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Anybody know which bird (if it even is a bird and not some insect) that makes a single note high pitched call that lasts about a second and repeats every 2 seconds or so? The note drops slightly in pitch towards the end

stumped-thanks in advance

*edit, in woodland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

A Dunnock makes a high-pitched 'tseep' call.
    You can hear a Dunnock call on this link:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/319881

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Thanks for reply-interesting......kinda close tho not long enough and doesnt drop towards the end hmmmmm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we seem to be well into 'hedgehog roadkill season'.
    an unusual amount of roadkill spotted today around north county dublin; rats, foxes, about five hedgehogs, and a grey squirrel.

• Advertisement

For anybody that is interested giving two talks for Irish Wildlife Trust Galway and Laois/Offaly on my Corncrake project. Tullamore 20th October and Galway 2nd November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

where in Galway?

where in Galway?
    No place booked as of yet.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/spider-feared-to-be-deadly-false-widow-found-at-irish-home-35076749.html

Looks like I missed my chance to be famous, I never told the Indo about the dozens of them living in my shed. I can confirm I haven't lost any limbs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Great air battle today between a sparrowhawk and 2 magpies over the Dodder around Milltown. It went on for minutes, I had the sun in my back so great to watch.... But off course I had no camera...

And before and after that, numerous goldcrests, tits, 2 dippers and 2 kingfishers.

Over in Boora today and they've cleared a big tract of land of vegetation and ploughed it all up. Didn't see anyone around to ask - so pure speculation when I wonder are they going to put it to use for Corncrake conservation maybe?

IMG_20161010_165321.jpg

IMG_20161010_165513.jpg

Just to say, I headed over to Capercaillie's talk in Tullamore this evening; very enjoyable. Even having seen the photos he puts up here, I didn't appreciate just how much work he has put into the farm. Get along to the Galway talk if you can.
    For anybody that is interested giving two talks for Irish Wildlife Trust Galway and Laois/Offaly on my Corncrake project. Tullamore 20th October and Galway 2nd November.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Over in Boora today and they've cleared a big tract of land of vegetation and ploughed it all up. Didn't see anyone around to ask - so pure speculation when I wonder are they going to put it to use for Corncrake conservation maybe?

IMG_20161010_165321.jpg

IMG_20161010_165513.jpg

Top photo looks like it has been presprayed with round-up. They will probably be growing cover crop for partridge. No plans for any reintroductions of corncrake in midlands or anywhere in Ireland. NPWS have trialled rearing a couple of crex, but in reality 100's of birds would have to be reintroduced (No money)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

do we have dormice in ireland?

out of interest how many species of mice do we have?

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    do we have dormice in ireland?

out of interest how many species of mice do we have?

Just House Mouse and Wood Mouse in Ireland.

Advertisement