Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Escapee is probably most likely, but wih the winds we've had over the last week I wouldn't be surprised at anything turning up anywhere for the next few days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Escapee is probably most likely, but wih the winds we've had over the last week I wouldn't be surprised at anything turning up anywhere for the next few days!!

I spoke to one of Irelands leading raptor experts a few years ago on the subjects of Eagle owls and he reckoned that they were a native bird that went the way of the Crane etc. He says there is compelling evidence from early monastic texts describing the calls of young eagle owls coming from the vast bogs and forests of the Irish midlands back in the 8th centuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Wasn't me up in the plane unfortunately, but pretty cool pic of Shannon in flood south of Athlone.

https://twitter.com/paul_deegan/status/556511270225317888

Bottom left corner shows the Big Meadow under water, that's where the Corncrake was calling in summer 2013. Didn't hear if one was back last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

whyulittle wrote: »
    Wasn't me up in the plane unfortunately, but pretty cool pic of Shannon in flood south of Athlone.

https://twitter.com/paul_deegan/status/556511270225317888

Bottom left corner shows the Big Meadow under water, that's where the Corncrake was calling in summer 2013. Didn't hear if one was back last summer.

Was just going to ask is Big Meadow in the picture? It saddens me what has happened to the once vibrant Callows Corncrake population:(:(:(

Yeah most of the bottom left of the pic would be the Big Meadow. Pretty much starts where the buildings end, the full width between the canal and the river, and then starts to taper away as it meets the end of the canal out of pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

No point in bringing up a year old thread, doesn't seem that long.

Coillte are finally moving in next week to start on the forest, after nearly three months of people coming and going, and I got talking to them all to make sure they all knew about the red squirrels that are in the forest.

The last two people I was talking to seemed very interested and took note of what I said, but at the moment they said there just going to extend the roadway (500/600 meters) to get to the young part to get it thinned.

So hopefully the older part will stand for little while longer, but I doubt it.

In inishbofin (donegal) the island was designated a SPA. Due to agricultural restrictions the locals were not happy. Several farmers ploughed up land (against regulations) in an effort to destroy corncrake habitat. The opposite happened and barley/oats that had been sown and harvested years ago grew. This provided great early cover for corncrake this year and numbers have exploded. Going to trial sowing some barley this spring. In years past a lot of small farmers in the west sowed a few crops and this apparently was good for corncrake. People only discovering now that it might be of benefit to corncrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Torn this week: 6 Bullfinch in the garden every day - great! But they are eating the flower buds of my Prunus trees, as Bullfinches are wont to do. I love to see them but would love some spring flowers on my trees. Such is Nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Torn this week: 6 Bullfinch in the garden every day - great! But they are eating the flower buds of my Prunus trees, as Bullfinches are wont to do. I love to see them but would love some spring flowers on my trees. Such is Nature!

Same here. Usually a pair, a male and female. Although they once brought another three of their male cousins.
    I don't mind because the tree is getting too big anyway and I need to prune it.

I also have two robins which tolerate each other, been to the extent of being together on the bird table. This is the first time I have seen two robins without a battle breaking out!

Rosahane wrote: »
    Same here. Usually a pair, a male and female. Although they once brought another three of their male cousins.
    I don't mind because the tree is getting too big anyway and I need to prune it.

I also have two robins which tolerate each other, been to the extent of being together on the bird table. This is the first time I have seen two robins without a battle breaking out!

Detante set in here when the weather turned cold. All 3 of the garden's robins now share the feeding areas and have abandoned their individual territories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Detante set in here when the weather turned cold. All 3 of the garden's robins now share the feeding areas and have abandoned their individual territories.

Interesting observation Kayla Moldy Supernova - have been noticing same increased tolerance among Blackbirds frequenting the garden in addition to a truce among the garden Robins. Nice to see a "live and let live" spirit breaking out in the face of adverse weather. Unfortunately, the downside of the cold weather feeding frenzy in the garden has been regular raids by a female sparrow hawk - it's all about the survival game !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Loads (well loads... a good few) of goldcrests this weekend in different locations: Herbert Park, Booterstown marsh and in trees around Herbert.

I know they are not unusual, but I have observed more than average.

I will upload photos, but once I decided to get Photoshop for Android and learned using it crashes on me every 2 minutes ...

Signs of Spring awakenings in the air today - watched a pair of raucous Ravens in their tumbling acrobatic display flight against a clear blue sky - a joy to see ! After the Ravens had moved on, next up 3 Buzzards circling and "mewing" over the same woodland and fields. It's interesting to see both species coexisting side by side on the same patch, given their similar food preferences - an abundance of rabbits in the area probably means there's enough for everyone !

I saw the pair of Ravens here this evening as well, one of them bringing material up to the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Saw some rooks today too, doing a bit of "pruning".

On another note, i travelled from Nenagh to Roscrea today for the first time since before christmas.

A year ago i would see quite a few Kestrels in a single journey, 6 was my highest count.

Today i saw no Kestrels but 4 Buzzards instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

With the beautiful weather I decided it was high time that ploughing (stubble fields) for spring crops was started. A job I like not least for watching the gulls that follow the plough while hoping to see some less common ones.
    Last year we had a Mediterranean Gull and a Little Gull plus a snow white gull a little smaller than the usual Black Heads, from what I could see just like an Ivory Gull but I know that pretty much was not possible..bit of a mystery..
    So this morning a small band of Black Heads soon arrived after I started but by this afternoon word had quickly spread and there was a large flock competing for every worm. Mostly all Black Heads but amongst them a small group of Common Gulls, about six or seven, more than I recall seeing in recent times, so looking forward to see what the coming weeks throw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A song thrush has taken up residence in our garden, incredible range of calls. We get serenaded dawn and dusk.

3 goldcrest using the bird bath at the same time this afternoon. I always enjoy these cheery little birds and it was marvellous watching them in the bath. I never had them using the bath before although they regularly visit the garden.

trebor28 wrote: »
    Saw some rooks today too, doing a bit of "pruning".

On another note, i travelled from Nenagh to Roscrea today for the first time since before christmas.

A year ago i would see quite a few Kestrels in a single journey, 6 was my highest count.

Today i saw no Kestrels but 4 Buzzards instead.
    I know that no research has yet confirmed it but I have to say that any areas I know that were reliable for kestels and had buzzards move into the area are now devoid of kestrels.

Buzzards seen ( and heard) on an almost daily basis here in the north midlands , I've only seen 1 kestrel in 2015 so far !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Not really suitable for the 'Nature in the News' thread, but here's a pretty cool video of a Mountain Biker being chased by a Peregrine Falcon! It's a trained Peregrine, obviously, and I'm not sure it's the fairest test of its abilities in terms of playing up to its hunting strategy, but the Falcon is very impressive nonetheless!

http://www.sciencedump.com/content/watch-peregrine-falcon-chase-down-pro-mountain-biker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I know that no research has yet confirmed it but I have to say that any areas I know that were reliable for kestels and had buzzards move into the area are now devoid of kestrels.

Probably just a natural re-order of things. Kestrels had the skies to themselves for a long time with the extinction of other raptors. I guess they get knocked down the pecking order when bigger raptors move back in. Around Blessington Kestrels went very scarce for a few years up to around 2010, seen a few more since and one pair reared 3 young last year in a local quarry. Actually only a few hundred yards from the resident buzzard nest!!

The RSPB are seemingly researching Kestrel declines at the moment (http://www.rspb.org.uk/whatwedo/projects/details.aspx?id=313411), and I'm very eager to hear how they get on!
    There are a number of hypotheses why this decline has taken place, but so far none of them have been tested formally. In this project, we test whether the decline is caused by any of the following factors:

1. Habitat change

2. Lack of prey (small birds and voles)

3. Increased nest site competition from jackdaws and barn owls

4. Increased predation from buzzards, ravens and goshawks

5. Increased use of rodenticides ("rat poison")

6. Negative impacts of a wetter climate (climate change)

Buzzard predation of Kestrels has been recorded, but if Buzzards are having an impact I'm sure its due to competitive exclusion rather than predation - though I'd be much less surprised at the idea of Ravens predating Kestrel nests.

That being said, the list of issues the RSPB are looking at highlights the complexity of the issue. Given that Kestrels are essentially considered a farmland bird, and every other farmland bird is doing pretty poorly, I think thats where the most finger-pointing needs to be done - habitat loss, loss of prey and rodenticide problems. While I'm sure Buzzards are impacting Kestrel populations, I think theres a certain amount of correlation/causation confusion/bias about it in terms of ranking its importance.

Compared to a talk at the IRSG conference last week where a sizeable Goshawk population in an area of Scotland was predating Owls, Sparrowhawks and Falcons, causing direct declines as well as indirectly affecting the nesting and hunting behaviour of those species. Kestrels were actually the 6th most common prey species in the Goshawk diet there!

Oh I'm most certain its competition as opposed to predation. In all my years in close study of buzzards I never saw them take a kestrel

Oh I'm most certain its competition as opposed to predation. In all my years in close study of buzzards I never saw them take a kestrel

How are kestrels doing in areas where Buzzards are still uncommon? Kerry, West Cork etc. If they are declining there then I would not think the buzzards are the major problem. As with most declines in species the problems are often multi-factorial.

How are kestrels doing in areas where Buzzards are still uncommon? Kerry, West Cork etc. If they are declining there then I wouls not think the buzzards are the major problem. As with most declines in species the problems are often multi-factorial.

Agreed. I can only observe around my area. Kestrel numbers seem fine in non Buzzard areas but not so in Buzzard areas. I think competition for scarce prey is the cause but the cause of scarce prey is a bigger issue.

The RSPB are seemingly researching Kestrel declines at the moment (http://www.rspb.org.uk/whatwedo/projects/details.aspx?id=313411), and I'm very eager to hear how they get on!
    Increased use of rodenticides ("rat poison")

Buzzard predation of Kestrels has been recorded, but if Buzzards are having an impact I'm sure its due to competitive exclusion rather than predation - though I'd be much less surprised at the idea of Ravens predating Kestrel nests.

That being said, the list of issues the RSPB are looking at highlights the complexity of the issue. Given that Kestrels are essentially considered a farmland bird, and every other farmland bird is doing pretty poorly, I think thats where the most finger-pointing needs to be done - habitat loss, loss of prey and rodenticide problems. While I'm sure Buzzards are impacting Kestrel populations, I think theres a certain amount of correlation/causation confusion/bias about it in terms of ranking its importance.

Compared to a talk at the IRSG conference last week where a sizeable Goshawk population in an area of Scotland was predating Owls, Sparrowhawks and Falcons, causing direct declines as well as indirectly affecting the nesting and hunting behaviour of those species. Kestrels were actually the 6th most common prey species in the Goshawk diet there!
    As regards rodenticide poisoning I wonder do Irish Kestrel suffer to a greater extent than UK/European birds. The UK have a much greater amount of prey species more vole/shrew species. These vole/shrew species would not be affected by rodenticide poison that much(I think), therefore kestrels eating these species would be exposed to less secondary poisoning. Irish kestrels on the other hand would have a greater percentage of species like rats/house mice in their diet and as such would be exposed to more rodenticide.
    A research project in there I would think???

As regards rodenticide poisoning I wonder do Irish Kestrel suffer to a greater extent than UK/European birds. The UK have a much greater amount of prey species more vole/shrew species. These vole/shrew species would not be affected by rodenticide poison that much(I think), therefore kestrels eating these species would be exposed to less secondary poisoning. Irish kestrels on the other hand would have a greater percentage of species like rats/house mice in their diet and as such would be exposed to more rodenticide.
    A research project in there I would think???

The research has been done (or maybe is still ongoing) - I just don't think it has been published (yet?)! I think they looked at Barn Owls and Kestrels, and I *think* it was Barn owls that had higher levels of rodenticide than in the UK, and Kestrels had similar levels. I'll see if I can dig out some hastily scribbled notes from a raptor conference a few years back........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

When I stepped out of the house at 6.35 this morning there was a Woodpigeon, two robins and a Song Thrush all singing happily...in complete darkness.

• Advertisement

First bat of the year flying around the garden for the past 20 minutes. The surrounding fields were spread with slurry this morning and the feeding is good. Early in the year and in the day but he's certainly reaping his reward.

Advertisement